1x10 without a chainguide

moorey

call me Mia
9spd is wider isn't it? So would be looser, and theoretically pop off.
Internally same, slightly thicker outer plates, as I understand it.
I only did it as experiment, having spare 9x chains. Worked a treat, may or may not be slightly stronger, has made no difference whatsoever. :thumb:

Last edited:

phrysmicplasta

Cannon Fodder
I just set up a Zee 1x10 too with 11-36 and the Zee short cage, wide range derailleur. I thought exactly the same thing and took out a link to remove the slack in top gear but found with all air removed from shock and shock compressed in bottom gear it was over tensioned. I ended up adding the link back and adjusting the B screw on the derailleur out to get the tension right. Now working perfectly. I spent some time on it as I recently snapped a derailleur hanger with a fractionally too short chain.

phrysmicplasta

Cannon Fodder
For those running the Zee with 1x10, does anyone find it seems to not have the range required to keep the chain tensioned?

I am finding that in the 36t with the suspension fully compressed the chain is as tight as possible, no overlapping links and the Zee stretched out as much as possible.
In the 11t though the Zee is all tucked up and the chain seems a bit slack.

Wondering if a mid cage XT would be a better option?

Cheers
Joel
Sorry that last post was a reply for Joel.

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate yeah I reckon I got my chain too short now. Will pay with b tension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For those running the Zee with 1x10, does anyone find it seems to not have the range required to keep the chain tensioned?

I am finding that in the 36t with the suspension fully compressed the chain is as tight as possible, no overlapping links and the Zee stretched out as much as possible.
In the 11t though the Zee is all tucked up and the chain seems a bit slack.

Wondering if a mid cage XT would be a better option?

Cheers
Joel
Would you ever descend on the 36t sprocket? If not, tune the zee so it can handle max suspension compression on the majority of rear cogs. Most people would never descend in a climbing gear so why test the chain length there?!?

moorey

call me Mia
Would you ever descend on the 36t sprocket? If not, tune the zee so it can handle max suspension compression on the majority of rear cogs. Most people would never descend in a climbing gear so why test the chain length there?!?
Because shit happens, brain fades and all.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Happens all the time where I ride. Steep pinches followed by flowy downhill sections followed by pinchy climbs and so on. Having setups where you can max out your gear is asking for trouble. I rode a road bike for a few races where I couldn't ride big to big, it was a major headache (cos, as Moorey says, brainfades).

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Just a heads up ladies. Torpedo7 have a Blackspire MonoVeloce NW 32 or 30t 104 bcd ring on sale for $50 until Monday morning

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Just a heads up ladies. Torpedo7 have a Blackspire MonoVeloce NW 32 or 30t 104 bcd ring on sale for $50 until Monday morning
Thanks for the heads up.
I kinda want to ditch my dark blue RF ring for something in black... I wanted to wait for the Hope rings but I can't find any release timeframe info.

Might see if I can grab one of these Blackspire ones come Friday (payday!). :)

Speaking of which, has anybody seen further info regarding the Hope rings?

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Should that be okay with a 10 speed set up?

RD: Shimano Zee DH version (New)
Cassette: 11-36 Deore (New)
Chain: Tiagra (New)

Cheers
Yep, I bought a cheap one to trial a chainring size before spending a fortune on a narrow wide CX ring, and it's been faultless. So much so that I'm keeping it.

Danny B

Likes Dirt
Should that be okay with a 10 speed set up?

RD: Shimano Zee DH version (New)
Cassette: 11-36 Deore (New)
Chain: Tiagra (New)

Cheers
You can get a 44T 130BCD ring from Wolftooth. That will be plenty for a commuter. With a 700c wheel and 28c tyres that gives you 106.8 gear inches (ie - you can still grind downhill).

If you've got 26" wheels with 1.5" slicks you'll still get 99 GI.

Thats shit tonnes. (I never rode more that 95GI on the track)