DH 2006 Giant DH COMP

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So now that I have an X-trail I have decided to get back into an activity I used to enjoy. A bit of light DH riding.

So I picked this up today:

FRAME: 2006 Giant DH Comp Medium
FORKS: 2006 ROCKSHOX Boxxer Race 203mm travel
SHOCK: Manitou Swinger SPV 6-way coil w/remote reservoir + 450lb x 2.75 Coil
BRAKES: Avid Juicy Five with 8inch Rotors
RIMS: Intense MAG 30's (taco proof apparently) front and back wrapped in Maxxis Minions
DERAILER: SRAM X-7 trigger shift 9 speed
WEIGHT: 21.6kg
PICTURES:

Already got a helmet, so just waiting on my gloves and pads to arrive at this point.

Find times ahead.

Last edited:

Dougy

Likes Dirt
It certainly has been looked after. Make sure you keep the linkage bolts nice and tight. If you let them get loose you'll flog out the linkages quicksmart and there's probably not too many around anymore.

millzy555

Likes Bikes
I've just repalced the linkage bearings on both of my DH comps. $30 in bearings from the bearing shop (dont go to your lbs) these are just generic Japanese bearings.

Only thing is to watch you seat post length...i have cracked my frame near the weld

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I had a bit of a fiddle with this and that today. The front axle wasn't put together properly so sorted that out, adjusted the pre-load on the spring and tuned the compression thingy on the SPV.

Everything else seems to be really nice and tight. Shocks are nice and smooth, no wiggle anywhere.

Just a few spots here and there that the cables have worn through the paint. But some stickers will sort that out.

Can't wait to get it out there and see how she goes.

The seat post is a lot higher at the moment than what I would have it riding. :)

Just pulled it out to clean it all and didn't put it all the way back down to where I will have it.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Haha. I know. I was using it to clean the frame itself rater that the mechanisms. I have some lithium grease for the chain etc.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Sold the Clubby Jester?

The DH rig looks good :)
Yeah the clubby is gone. Ended up trading it in. Straight swap for a 2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L. So far having a practical is a new and refreshing experience for me! Haha.

Yeah, very happy with this pick up. Can't wait to put it through it's paces on the weekend. :)

Giantrider

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I loved my DH comp... Still wish I had it. Brings back so many fond memories! I'll give you $15 and several buttons for it

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So, went out to Lysterfield Lake today to test out the bike and my fitness.

The bike; awesome! It felt nice and tight and gave me a heap of confidence, basically didn't have to take the B line once.

The fitness; utter failure. I did 2 runs of "Follow Me" and each time by the bottom I war so puffed I'm pretty sure I was trying to even breathe through my bum just to get more air.

To top it off, I took a set of Pivothead video glasses with me to record my adventure. "Recorded" both runs only to get home and discover that I recorded as an image sequence! So annoyed with myself. Serves me right for not reading the instructions I guess.

With some luck I might get a chance to head out tomorrow, but definitely will be back out there next weekend!

L3ONNOEL

Likes Dirt
Good old mag 30s. 20 psi on a hard tail going down a flight of stairs and bottoming the tire out on every step and still true and dint free. I've ridden a downhill track for maybe 100 meters on a hardtail with 0 air in the back and it didn't care. I've also jumped onto a brick thingy right on the edge of it and heard an extremely loud BAANNNGGG followed by my tire deflating instantly, no problem. Possibly the strongest rim ever

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
That's good to hear, given I'll probably be stuffing up a bit initially and there may be some rim bashing happening! Haha.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt

Protection.

In other news, today I discovered the shock will need a rebuild soon as the oil has leaked out of the pippyback system. There is still oil in the rest of the system so the rebound and all that works, just compression control is gone.

What will have to wait a few months though as I've got a bunch of other expenses at the moment.

So for tonight I spend some time on the rear end. The wheel had a tiny bit of a wobble so I took everything apart, cleaned, greased and put it back together. Also fiddled with the rebound. I read somewhere the best starting point is you ride off a curb and increase the rebound until you only get one bounce. So not it feels quite planted on landing. Will be interesting to see what difference this makes riding.

So going riding anyway this Sunday. Hopefully will have videos to post of my efforts. :)

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt

550lb Coil arrived from ChainReaction. Should firm up my ride a bit as the 450 was a little bit too plush.

Going to get the rear shock rebuilt towards the end of this year, but for now it will do.

May hit up Lysty this weekend. :)

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
Ewww lysty on a DH bike....... (and an old heavy one to boot)

Do yourself a favour and head to the Youis if you're doing push runs

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I want to go the you yangs but they are a while away. I like lysterfield as I can get used to the bike.

Redhill is the nearest trail area to me after lysterfield.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Went out to Lysterfield today and had an awesome day, really starting to find some decent pace on Follow Me and hitting all the jumps, gaps, drops pretty hard.

Got home and cleaning the bike, noticed that something was rolling around in the rim. Investigated and found this:

Haven't fixed a wheel myself in a LONG time so I guess I will be dropping this off at the bike shop next weekend.