2006 Giant Reign 1

onedollarodent

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, just looking to replace the Mani-poo swinger on my 2006 giant reign, was wondering if anyone knows the spring and shock rate required to make it fit???

I want to put in a DHX or a vanilla (Coil ) to make it more of a DHer

Cheers,
Carl

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
pretty sure the 09 frames come with a dhx 3.0 not sure of the eye to eye length though it wouldn't be longer than 8 inches id think
From memory, standard Reigns rand a 7.875 x 2.0, whilst the 'X' models ran a 7.875 x 2.25. Well at least the older models though there wasn't an 'X' series in '06.

To double check though, take the current Manitou Swinger off and measure its eye-to-eye length.

I'd sooner consider say a DHX.Air, personally but at the end of the day, it isn't a DH bike.

Last edited:

Pitto

Likes Dirt
you can run a 2.25 on the standard reign. it will increase the travel to 6.7"

i am running a new Manitou swinger X3 with lockout on my 06 reign and its a 2.25

you wont be able to put on a DHX, but you can put on an old Fox Vanilla coil shock.

check over on MTBR in the Giant Section as there has been a ton of threads created over the years discussing this.

houli77

Likes Dirt
i've had great results from a 2008 fox float r bought second hand for cheap.

absolutely shites on the manitou.

my frame is 07 but it'll work for 06 too.

i've gone for the 7.875 x 2.25 so have extra travel and paired it with a fox 36vanrc2 up front.

you'll need to buy fox reducers as the manitou ones will not fit.

basically i don't think you'll have room to run any shock with a reservoir ie dhx etc but you can definitely do better than the old manitou. my mate is still running ye old manitou and every time i get on it it feels horrible after the float r.