2006 Giant Rincon seatpost diameter?

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Just bought myself an '06 Rincon frame 2nd hand to build up as a spare bike. Didn't come with a seatpost, the seller told me it should be a 30.9mm job. Tried the 30.9 post from my '08 Trance on it when I got it home, but was a pretty tight fit and didn't slide in relatively easily as it should.

Have looked at available sizes and have seen that there are also 30.8 posts out there so wondering if this is the size for this frame instead. Have done some google research and some info says this frame would be 30.9 and some says 30.8.... does anyone have a definitive answer? I'm hoping an owner can help me out here. Guess I might have to take it to a shop, but hoping someone here may know first.

Cheers,
Matt

muvro

Likes Dirt
I've got a 2007 Rincon and it's 30.9 if that helps.

Did you put a little bit of lube on the post before you put it in?

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
Big Chuck on here has been known to jam his trance post into his old rincon or similar frame i believe. Pretty sure he gets it back out too without damage to the post. Maybe he'll see this and comment......

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah muvro there was abit of grease still on the post after removing it from the Trance frame. My 2006 model looks just like this:

post-267-1194410091.jpg

I believe a new version was released for '07, is yours like this one?

IMG_6414.jpg

They may have slightly altered the post diameter with the redesigned frame. Think I'll hit the LBS and find out for sure. Main reason I'm asking is that my brother has a spare 30.9 he can send me (from Melb, I'm in Bris), want to be sure of the size before I make him go to the trouble.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Correct size is 30.9. Check the area behind the top tube weld with your finger and see how smooth/ round the inside of the seat post is.

Giant were a bit slack with accurate reaming of the seat post tube in those days.

macca_1972

Likes Dirt
Many thanks redbruce, good to have the confirmation. If I went for a 30.8 it would probably slide down under load over time if it's really meant to be a 30.9 in there.

I'll check that area you have suggested as well.

Cheers,
Matt

MTB Wanabe

Likes Dirt
A vernier usually gives me the correct answer. If you don't have one, I'm sure the LBS will. Or go to supa cheap auto or the like and pick up a cheapy for $30.

redbruce

Eats Squid
My old 2003 Rincon has 30.8 as measured. The Spez and Trance are 30.9 Ian.
My sons STP post says 30.9 but measures 30.8. My comment regarding earlier Giant quality issues on the frame seem to apply to the fittings as well.

This came to light when I biult up a hardtail from a donated 2006 Yukon frame (same as Rincon in those days) and found my new raceface 30.9 post would only go part way in yet the OEM post from juniors STP went all the way in albeit with a wobble. Upon inspection the seat tube was distorted due to the effect of welding the top tube to the seat tube.

Ended up buying a brake cylinder honing stone set from the local auto store and dressing the inside of the seatpost and the 30.9 fits like a dream.