2007 Australian Jnr World MTB Team

dirtdemon

Likes Dirt
7. SELECTION CRITERIA – JUNIOR (U19) MEN DOWNHILL
7.1 Initial Selections:
Three (3) athletes will be selected on the basis of the following results:
7.1.1 2007 Junior (U19) DH National Champion
7.1.2 2nd- 2007 Junior (U19) DH National Championships
7.1.3 1st – 2006/7 Junior (U19) DH National Series. If the winner of the National Series is also the first or second place getter in the National U19 Championships, this position will be offered to the next highest placed Australian in the series.

Under 19 Men : Series Results
1 William Rischbieth
2 James Maltman

Under 19 Men National Champions Results
1 609 Mitchell Delfs
2 601 Will Rischbieth

I think Maltman has a good case to protest

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
7. SELECTION CRITERIA – JUNIOR (U19) MEN DOWNHILL
7.1 Initial Selections:
Three (3) athletes will be selected on the basis of the following results:
7.1.1 2007 Junior (U19) DH National Champion
7.1.2 2nd- 2007 Junior (U19) DH National Championships
7.1.3 1st – 2006/7 Junior (U19) DH National Series. If the winner of the National Series is also the first or second place getter in the National U19 Championships, this position will be offered to the next highest placed Australian in the series.

Under 19 Men : Series Results
1 William Rischbieth
2 James Maltman

Under 19 Men National Champions Results
1 609 Mitchell Delfs
2 601 Will Rischbieth

I think Maltman has a good case to protest
There's a bit more to the selection criteria than that.
Young James should be in the team.
(even just based on what on you have listed above, from what I can see he qualifies in all selection criteria)

Must be some techincal hiccup or issues to sort out.
There are only 6 riders listed out of the 7 available places.
I'm guessing they are holding the last spot for Maltman until these issues are sorted out.

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
I am still curious as to the whereabouts of Maltman though? There are rumours of height restrictions on the gondola going round.
Ha,ha.

Maltman is one of the most "excitingly scarey" riders to watch come down the hill and is entertaining to say the least.

Would be a great shame if he doesn't take his place in the team.

As for the other selected riders:- great work guys you all deserve it.

Last edited:

toodles

Wheel size expert
Maltman is one of the most "excitingly scarey" riders to watch come down the hill and is entertaining to say the least.
I've said it before, it's like someone has stuck a rhesus monkey on a 250cc dirt bike, locked the throttle wide open and stuck it in gear.

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
Yay for Tom, Glad to see you on the team. Go the CCOMTB another year and another rider selected for the JNR team. We have been pretty consistent for the last 3-4 years now? And we picked him as our DH rider of the year for 06.

demo man

Used to be cool.
Does Caroline's spot count against the 7 juniors though? Or is there a seperate allowance for the feme's?

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
james's position is pending... he is having a meeting or something with the tightarses at MTBA.. dont know what about. but it should all be sweet. probably to do with his new sponsor ssang yong, seeing as it is a standalone team..
Does this mean that riders with Sponsors can't ride for Australia???:confused: Obviously that is only in u/19 because a lot of the elites are sponsored.

Or does it mean that they can ride for their sponsors, but not for Australia (U/19).

Another question, can an u/17 ride as an u/19??? I'm guessing from the Oceanias that the answer is NO, but does anyone know for sure?

stevenw

Pro Rider
Does this mean that riders with Sponsors can't ride for Australia???:confused: Obviously that is only in u/19 because a lot of the elites are sponsored.

Or does it mean that they can ride for their sponsors, but not for Australia (U/19).

Another question, can an u/17 ride as an u/19??? I'm guessing from the Oceanias that the answer is NO, but does anyone know for sure?
The answer to that question is NO. Your not allowed to move up age groups to race for your country.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Maltman Issue

Hi All - I wanted to put this one to bed and clear up some misunderstandings. James has not been placed on the U19 men's roster pending some further meetings with MTBA. I will not go into the details further, but we are hopeful of his name being added once these meetings are completed and of him taking his rightful place in the team (and then going over there and kicking some rear). The issue does not concern his sponsorship or his role with our team. G.Donehue, Team Manager, SsangYong-fusion, www.syfmtb.com

-toby-

Likes Dirt
A lot of people don't like James, including a person that has a large say in who becomes a part of the team, which is most likely the reason why he isn't listed; and the reason that a lot of deserving people haven't been in the team over the last several seasons. There is no technical reason that James couldn't be in the team, he has been consistent and fast all year, and was the highest placed junior at the worlds last year. He meets all the cirteria that have often been used as an excuse for not letting people in the team. As strong as the current list is it is ridiculous that James isn't on it, regardless of whether you like him or not.

boyles

Squid
A lot of people don't like James, including a person that has a large say in who becomes a part of the team, which is most likely the reason why he isn't listed; and the reason that a lot of deserving people haven't been in the team over the last several seasons. There is no technical reason that James couldn't be in the team, he has been consistent and fast all year, and was the highest placed junior at the worlds last year. He meets all the cirteria that have often been used as an excuse for not letting people in the team. As strong as the current list is it is ridiculous that James isn't on it, regardless of whether you like him or not.

Very Well said.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Toby - sorry mate, but on this occassion you are incorrect. The reason for Jame's non-inclusion on the list at this time is technical (in the strictest sense of the word). I am sorry that I can not go into details, but we are working with MTBA and the other parties involved to reach a solution.

When we signed Jame's to the team I will be the first to admit that we heard a lot of 'bad press' about him. He is young and like most guys his age, he has made (by his own admission) some poor choices and mistakes that have cost him.

With the number of fast young riders in Australia and elsewhere - having a 'bad rep' as being a trouble-maker is not going to help him in his career long-term. I know from talking to James over the last few weeks that he understands this and that this is an area he knows he needs to improve in and that he needs to a lot of people out there that he is a professional.

-toby-

Likes Dirt
Oh ok, I suppose that I was also trying to hint towards the fact that many rules are often ignored or suddenly brought up so that certain people are allowed or blocked from a place in the team as has been seen in previous years. I thought that might be the case here.

(Don't get me wrong by my earlier comments, I have no problem with Maltman, I've always got along well with him.)

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He is young and like most guys his age, he has made (by his own admission) some poor choices and mistakes that have cost him.

having a 'bad rep' as being a trouble-maker is not going to help him in his career long-term.
Ar I had know idea there was this side to Maltman. What did he do??