2007 Scott 24hr

funky

Likes Dirt
Looks good...

JJJim, any word on how long each "loop" will take. ie do you think they will be considerably quicker / slower / about the same to Kowen?

PP Aggro

Interesting site, but Im wondering whats all the aggro against private promoters about, they are a strong part of the industry! Is this going to become one of those us vs them (clubs vs private promoters) websites. Shame CORC Shame

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Stooge?

While riders are spread out over 35Km of Australia’s best mountain bike tracks, you only have to ride a maximum of 17.5Km if that’s all you want to do. At night – you can change batteries at each transition if you need to.

What the !!!!

hey bucketmaster, you obviously represent CORC as it clearly says in your handle yet you throw abuse at someone who asks a serious question. Am I to expect this arrogrance and bad attitude at your race as well ?

Le Matelot

Scott 24Hr - Lap Lengths

any word on how long each "loop" will take.
I expect the lap times for each sub-lap of the hourglass course will be about 80% to 90% of the lap time at Kowen in the 2006 Scott Australian 24Hr MTB Championships. So, work on 40 minutes for the really fast guys. The design we have introduced for the 2007 race at Mt Stromlo relies on each of the 2 sub-laps of the hourglass course taking about the same time to ride, so they may be slightly different lengths, and one will no doubt be considered "easier" than the other.

Last edited:

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
how are they going to handle the 2 loop system? are you going to be able to just hit the same one again and again, if so will they have to be of equal "difficulty" (i.e. technicality and hilliness)?

i'll be at the scott, and i reckon i'd perform better if i just pick 1 loop and hit it every lap (so i can learn it and hopefully go faster on it) but it means i'll miss out on the other half...

Le Matelot

The Hourglass, Dual Lap Course

how are they going to handle the 2 loop system?
Think of the hourglass coure as, well, an hourglass (this is a functional, not an actual description). The top half of the hourglass is the Red Lap and the bottom is the Green Lap. Where the hourglass pinches together in the middle, that is where the 2 timing points and transitions are. So, you do the red lap, then you automatically go straight onto the green lap, then at the end of that, automatically onto the red lap. Keep that up for 24 hours and its all over.

are you going to be able to just hit the same one again and again?
Only if you're in a team and you make the concious decision that you will only do the Red lap or the Green lap. But the race system will be checking that for solos and teams the laps are always in the red/green/red/green succession. If you plan on doing green laps only, but you are taking over from a rider who has just completed a green lap, then you must start the red lap - there will be no other choice from that transition.

will they have to be of equal "difficulty" (i.e. technicality and hilliness)?
They will be of approximately equal ride time. One will be easier than the other, so if you have an inexperienced rider in your team, you could decide to let them do that lap - its your decision. That means that the red lap may be slightly longer than the green lap. Equal ride time is the aim.

i'd perform better if i just pick 1 loop and hit it every lap (so i can learn it and hopefully go faster on it) but it means i'll miss out on the other half...
Yes, as long as you're in a team you can do that - but its your choice if thats what you want to do.

You can expect this to be fully explained on the Scott website, with maps and photos as the event draws closer.

Last edited:

Mick01

Likes Bikes
i'll be at the scott, and i reckon i'd perform better if i just pick 1 loop and hit it every lap (so i can learn it and hopefully go faster on it) but it means i'll miss out on the other half...
I think you are right -- I like the hour glass idea but now that I think about it a lot of people will miss out on one half given that most teams have an even number of riders and they alternate riders in order. Unless you force someone to do a full 35km lap or mess around with the rider order throughout the race you will only get to see one side of the course.

Have they thought about maybe offering a 5 or 7 person team option as this would be a way to let everyone ride the full course without having to muck around with order changes or drawing straws to see who has to do a 35km lap.

Mick

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Have they thought about maybe offering a 5 or 7 person team option as this would be a way to let everyone ride the full course without having to muck around with order changes or drawing straws to see who has to do a 35km lap.
repeat...

of course pairs might be a litte more trickier...

Cheers
Gonz - debating on a solo this year...

Beej1

repeat...

So each rider does a staggered looping of 1 lap on, 2 laps off, 1 lap on, 2 laps off, 1 lap on, 6 laps off.

Doesn't quite seem as simple as riding every 4th lap, but I guess it's essentially the same potential amount of riding overall. The only setback would be if you know you're approaching the end of the 24 hours and you hit your 6 lap break, then you know you're less likely to get another lap in before the race is over, as opposed to if you're doing a lap every 4th lap, if that makes sense.
Gonz - debating on a solo this year...
Good luck with that :)

funky

Likes Dirt
Pairs you'd probably do a full 35km lap each time... Maybe? You'd probably do that at some stage anyway, so less of a big deal I'd think. A three is perfect.

I suspect a I'll have the perfect fours team this year for this. Although it would be nice to ride the whole course at some stage.

I'm betting tatics will become an issue for the pros.

More importantly, sub hour half laps will be a bonus for the teams of six. You might get a fair ride then.

Russ, any idea how you'll do the start this year? Will the solo's start on the other loop from everyone, or will you spread the start over both loops? I'd imagine it would have some benefits, but also some problems.

Still got lots of questions though on how it will work (ie do you have to do a full 35km lap to finish? Hmmmm...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So each rider does a staggered looping of 1 lap on, 2 laps off, 1 lap on, 2 laps off, 1 lap on, 6 laps off.

Doesn't quite seem as simple as riding every 4th lap, but I guess it's essentially the same potential amount of riding overall.
Any multiple of 4 laps would result in the same amount of riding as a 1234,1234 pattern. Given most 4 man teams were probably doing about 18-22 laps last year, I'd say with the slightly shorter half laps, maybe 20-24 half laps. If not doing a straight 1,2,3,4 pattern is confusing, then a white board with names and orders on it would work. Many teams do that anyway ('eh jim...?). Of course you might find a rider wants more of a break anyway and the 6laps off could be a blessing for things light night time etc... means 2 riders would get a bit more of a sleep before the morning. *shrug*

The only setback would be if you know you're approaching the end of the 24 hours and you hit your 6 lap break, then you know you're less likely to get another lap in before the race is over, as opposed to if you're doing a lap every 4th lap, if that makes sense.
You get that anyway... the difference in time with the shorter half laps and the longer full laps of kowen wouldn't be that much. Team tactics or whatever would still play a part here too, perhaps sending your faster riders out to ensure you get that one last lap in. Of course working it so you get to be the first to put your feet up and crack that beer open at the end could also be a valid ploy ;)

Good luck with that :)
I like Russ's call before:

"So, you do the red lap, then you automatically go straight onto the green lap, then at the end of that, automatically onto the red lap. Keep that up for 24 hours and its all over."

Sounds simple aye? :)

Cheers
Gonz - piece of cake!

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I was in a pair I'd be looking to do a fair few doubles, expecially overnight. Given what happened last year with a rider pretty much every 20 meters along the course, CORC had a choice of decreasing the field cap, or extending the course. Given the former is unlikely to happen, the hourglass system is probably the best solution, even if it isn't perfect.

Last edited:

Le Matelot

Scott 24Hr 2007 : Start

any idea how you'll do the start this year?
Yep - there will be 2 of everything, 2 runs, 2 transitions, 2 timing points - so at the start some categories will start on the red lap and some on the green. Haven't worked out exactly which yet (that will depend on entry numbers per category) but for now lets say that the Solos, 3 and 4 start on the red lap and the 2, 6, 8 and Corporate 10s start on the green lap. The run should be shorter than Kowen - probably about 400m.

do you have to do a full 35km lap to finish?
No, you need to complete the red or green lap that you are on, so if you go out just before the time cutoff, then you only have to ride 17.5Km to finish. Remember, everyone else in your category started on the same lap, so its equal for everyone.

funky

Likes Dirt
Thanks Russ...

The only reason I asked if you had to finish a "full" lap was because I wasn't sure what happens with an "Overall" winner. Not sure if it was ever formerly recognised though. I'm sure there will probably be a clear winner between categories, but you never know.

Btw. I like the separate starts. It will be much better for everyone / fast slow etc.

Sounds like it will be a ripper

F

fishboy2807

You can dress a white-ant as an alterboy - but it's still a white-ant.

I remember reading this somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator: