2008 World Champs news

demo man

Used to be cool.
CANBERRA’S READY TO HOST THE 2008 WORLD MOUNTAIN BIKE CHAMPIONSHIPS

Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) Vice-President, Ray Godkin, and technical delegate, Scott Sharples, visited Canberra this week to assess Canberra’s bid for the 2008 UCI Mountain Bike and Trails World Championships.

Cycling Australia (CA) President, Mike Victor, CA Chief Executive, Graham Fredericks, Mountain Bike Australia (MTBA) President, Gillian Duncan and MTBA Executive Officer, Tony Scott, accompanied the UCI delegates on their visit.

Before touring the Mount Stromlo facility, Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC) and Apis Consulting presented Canberra’s bid to hold the Championships. Former CEO of the Sydney Organising Committee, Sandy Hollway lent strong support to the bid in his closing presentation to the delegates.

The delegates travelled by helicopter to the course, giving them an aerial view of the facility and its urban proximity. Course Designer, Glen Jacobs, spent over 4 hours with the delegates, walking the proposed downhill course and explaining the cross country, 4X and trials courses.

CORC President Anthony Burton said “the Canberra bid team had received positive feedback from the delegates who were impressed by the outstanding quality of the bid, the Mount Stromlo facility, and the commitment of the ACT Government to Mountain Biking. Canberra really is the Australian Cycling Territory.”

Mount Stromlo and its surrounds have been home to mountain biking in Canberra for decades. In the fires that devastated parts of Canberra in 2001 and again in 2003, most of the riding tracks were destroyed. Since this time, the ACT Government has committed over six million dollars to constructing a purpose-built world class cycling facility on the eastern side of the mountain. This facility is planned for completion in December 2006 and will form the event hub.

Prior to the 2008 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships, CORC will have staged several major mountain bike events at the new site, including the MTBA National Mountain Bike Championships in January 2007 and 2008 as well as the largest 24 hour mountain bike race in the world, the 2008 Australian 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships, which are a regular feature on the mountain biking calendar in October each year.

Statement ends 26 May 2008

Media Contact: Narelle Luchetti Mobile 0407 015 529

Robb

Likes Dirt
Would be so awesome to get such an event at stromlo, good luck to everyone who is involved!

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
bloody good news. hopefully the panel likes the site. the only problem i can forsee is the issue of shade.. or the lack of it.. i dunno if that would even be an issue though if Jacobs rckons he can squeeze 3 minutes outta that hill (i quality 3 minutes.. not the three minutes of the old track (2 mins :p)

I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11

Blitzkrieg Films
I really dug the area, plenty of room to get vans and utes sideways in the dust, a fun track (yeh I actually liked it)...
There is a tonne of hill there, and aslong as they make the track wide (like most of it was come to think about it) it will easily be able to have a WC style track on it.
Shade wont be a massive issue at a world champs.. I mean the lack of tree's and obstructions means they can have a MASSIVE pit area and bike expo or whatever.. and spectators I'm sure will be able to cope.
I want this to happen.. imagine the drunken nights at Insomnia that are gonna happen... oohh baby..

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Everyone who rides in this country is barracking for CORC to get this event. It will be absolutely awesome. The feedback so far is very promising and I don't doubt the course and surroundings will be spot on. Good luck guys, bring it home!:D

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I-AM-TEH-FASTEST-11 said:
IShade wont be a massive issue at a world champs.. I mean the lack of tree's and obstructions means they can have a MASSIVE pit area and bike expo or whatever.. and spectators I'm sure will be able to cope...
Not to mention its in June, or there abouts, so there will not be a case of 'too much heat' anyway.

That would be unreal to get the world champs back in Aus!

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
ajay said:
Not to mention its in June, or there abouts, so there will not a case of 'too much heat' anyway.

That would be unreal to get the world champs back in Aus!
aaah i didnt think of that lol.

true, it most definately would be. im gonna try and get out and help with construction. all you other canberrans should as well

www.corc.asn.au for work bees details!~