2009 DH trip to Japan - updates with helmet cam.

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
2007 trip report here:
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99831

2009, and after a lot of planning, and a lot of waiting, myself, Cressa, and a non-Rotorburn
mate of ours did a trip to Fujimi Panorama in Japan at the start of June.

Photography by Cressa.

We flew from Gold Coast direct to Tokyo with Jetstar.
Return airfares with excess baggage, all taxes etc where about $600 each.

It’s a 9 hour flight, then a 1.5 hour bus ride into Tokyo city, then a 2 hour train ride to Fujimi station.
Fujimi is pretty rural, there are bigger towns close by but not much around Fujimi except mountains and farms.

This is where we stayed. This place is about 15 minutes drive from the resort.
Afternoons where spent on this deck. We’d hang around, talk shit, drink, talk about sore muscles, talk about bikes,
drink, talk about how friggin big the tracks are, drink, have a shower or go down to the onsen, and then dinner time.

It cost us about $90AU a day for accommodation, lifts to the resort, huge breakfast and 5 course dinner every night.

Fujimi Panorama.

The resort has 1 gondola running in the summer and 3 DH tracks.
On our last day we managed to do 8 runs which added up to about 42kms of downhill riding.
We had planned to get some shots on the “A” course but got rained out on that day.

There is some helmet cam being uploaded later in this thread.

One of the days we skipped the resort and did a shuttle day with Paul from Free Ride Adventures.
We drove about an hour to Matsumoto where there is a nice big hill with a couple of
15 minute DH tracks on it. The tracks where out of this world, just so friggin long,
so fast, riding through big gullies, down ridges, a bit of everything.

This is where we stopped for lunch, we literally popped out of the bush after a
15 minute run, parked our bikes here and sat down for some noodles.

Ninja mechanics.

Beer and bikes

Beer is fairly expensive, but once you get out of the cities most things are
cheaper than in Oz. A bottle of Smirnoff Vodka costs about $13AU, a good
fresh lunch will cost about $11AU, can of Coke about $1.50, and a pack of
smokes cost a ridiculous $3.50AU.

Cressa snapped this guy from the car, would love to know what the fark is going on.
We saw a couple of these bikes in the city but this guy looks like he is doing some serious miles.

And then back to Tokyo.

Attachments

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Kingswood, awesome shots, I really enjoyed them. Can any of your crew speak Japanese, how did you cope with the language barrier?
Looks like an awesome place to ride.....and visit!

Hux

Hey mate looks like you guys had wicked time over there, are you coming out for ride this Sunday Todd and I will be coming up. Pretty sure Todd will ring Zac anyway.

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
Kingswood, awesome shots, I really enjoyed them. Can any of your crew speak Japanese, how did you cope with the language barrier?
Looks like an awesome place to ride.....and visit!

Hux
Nah none of us can really speak Japanese, just a few words. You wouldn't believe how accomodating Japanese people are, language isn't an issue for having a good time. People would try really hard to speak English, we had old people coming up to us just to say hello in English.

Looks great fun, how did you go about organizing it?
It was a pretty hard place to get info on in English, but Paul at Free Ride Adventures booked the accomodation in Fujimi for us and organised the shuttle day, and all we had to do was work out transfers etc.

Hey mate looks like you guys had wicked time over there, are you coming out for ride this Sunday Todd and I will be coming up. Pretty sure Todd will ring Zac anyway.
Defo let me know, but my rear shock is with Dirtworks at the mo, so I might just be spectating.

silver rocket

Silver Rocket Productions
Nice report & pics well done!

How much fun do those trails look! Nice an groomed......

It's nice to see what is out there for what is a pretty inexpensive trip but an experience u will talk about forever....

Around well done :cool:

Last edited:

kynan77

Likes Bikes
Hey stu, cool pics, i got the full run through from Adis when he got back. His helmet cam video is pretty cool. Supa keen to get riding again after seeing all the footage. Hope your still keen on coming to NZ in Janurary

SteveC22

Likes Dirt
Hey mate

sounds like had a madd trip. I cant wait to go riding in Japan, theres so many awesome looking mountains. Ive only been in winter but the people were so awesome..none of us spoke Japanese but we got along just fine.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
.. Hay Kingswood are the tracks better than the previous year , jumps ect .
The tracks look so groomed , deserted and bloody steep , is DH a big seen over there ? . When does the season start and finish .

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How much did the trip cost you all up?
Looks absolutely wicked, would love to go to Japan myself. The trails look like highways...jayyyysuuuss

Steveneedspants

Likes Bikes
that looks like an awesome riding holiday. how many of the mountains in japan are open to DH in the summer. their snow scene is pretty big over there so i wonder if its a bit similair to us with a few of the ski fields opening over summer for us.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kingswood,

Have you been to Whistler? If so how does this compare? just the riding, obviously Japan would offer a better cultural experience.

ozzy osbourne

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats awesome,
Funny you wouldnt think there would be tracks with chairlifts and stuff over in Japan.
Awesome shots thanks for sharing

Kingswood

Likes Dirt
The tracks look so groomed , deserted and bloody steep , is DH a big seen over there ? . When does the season start and finish .
Hey man, tracks where pretty much the same. The braking bumps where soooooo much better than when I went later in the season last time. There where some sections of new track which was cool.

Not sure how "big" DH is, but the riders really get into it, they go out there for the weekend, have sweet bikes and sweet setups. They have some cool habits like cleaning bikes after every run, and heaps of girls are into it. Fujimi attracts families as well as the hard core and everyone gets along really well.

Season started this year on the 25th of April and goes to October or November I believe, depends when the snow arrives.

How much did the trip cost you all up?
Looks absolutely wicked, would love to go to Japan myself. The trails look like highways...jayyyysuuuss
Probably all up, without going cheap on anything, and living like kings, about $2400 maybe???

that looks like an awesome riding holiday. how many of the mountains in japan are open to DH in the summer. their snow scene is pretty big over there so i wonder if its a bit similair to us with a few of the ski fields opening over summer for us.
Not sure, it's hard to find info, there is defo 1 other resort that runs a park, and some resorts only open for races.

Kingswood,

Have you been to Whistler? If so how does this compare? just the riding, obviously Japan would offer a better cultural experience.
Sorry man, never been to Whistler. Would like to go one day.

Rue

Likes Dirt
Have to say a great read!
Can't believe i missed that awesome place for riding when i went for exchange!

Also at the resort was there a way to get transport to the Freeride course?
Or must you provide it yourself?

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
next trip mate??
we havent even gone to whistler yet, and your scanning around for the next one!

JDA, i reckon we should organise something mate! whistler is soo last year, lol.

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great post man, I'm really thinking hard about going there for a riding trip now that my cousin has married a Japanese girl and is living in yokohama.
Also, $2400 living large sounds like good value to me.

NoogiE

Likes Dirt
Fantastic post mate. Inspiring and for me, thats what DH is all about. Getting to new places and ripping it up!

Ride on

Dirt Devil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great write up. Having been to Whistler a couple of times I'm definitely looking for somewhere new to travel with bikes. This has got me inspired for sure.

Probably all up, without going cheap on anything, and living like kings, about $2400 maybe???
That's damn good value. How long did you go for? Was there enough variety at the bike park to keep you interested for a week or more?