DH 2009 Giant Reign X0

actionchris

Likes Dirt
Hey guys thought it was about time i put my bike up. It a 2009 Giant Reign XO. Picked it up at Kempsey Bike Shop for a good price and been loving it ever since here are the specs

size M:18
colour Pale Gold Anodised
frame ALUXX SL FluidFormed alloy Maestro 6.7" of travel
fork Fox Float RC2 air w/thru axle, 160mm/6.3"
rear shock Fox DHX air 5.0 w/adj. ProPedal
rear derailleur SRAM X-O 9 speed
front derailleur Shimano SLX
shifters SRAM X-0 trigger shift 18speed
crankset Raceface Atlas XC X-Type 24/36T w/bashguard
bottom bracket Raceface Atlas XC X-Type integrated, outboard
shift/chain guide NA
chain Shimano HG73 9 speed
cassette SRAM PG980 9 speed 11-34T
brakes Avid Elixir CR hydraulic disc w/7" front & 6" rear rotors*
brake levers Avid Elixir CR
wheelset Mavic Crossmax SX UST Tubeless Disc wheelset
tyres WTB Prowler folding MX front, XT rear 26x2.3"
pedals Exustar E-PB50B (Basically just a standard 10 pin pedal)
h.bar/stem Raceface Atlas AM 31.8 low rise / Raceface Atlas AM
seat post Crank Bros. Joplin w/75mm height adjust
saddle SDG Bel Air RL w/ti rail
grips Giant lock-on metal

and some pics

Last edited:

actionchris

Likes Dirt
that sick man but you should get a chain guide
I thought about it but i use it more as an all mountain bike the granny ring has been pretty handy in getting to the top of the hills. I havent lost a chain yet so i dont think ill worry unless it becomes an issue. If it does i might look into a dual ring chain guide. Have to let the bank account get its breathe back first.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice, but you need to get rid of that butt-ugly spoke guard on the rear wheel!

actionchris

Likes Dirt
Very nice, but you need to get rid of that butt-ugly spoke guard on the rear wheel!
I know it really cheapens the look of the bike. I have to borrow a chain whip to get it off and no one i know has one. I might just get the bike shop to do it next time its in. The rear brake needs bleeding real bad.

scblack

Leucocholic
I know it really cheapens the look of the bike. I have to borrow a chain whip to get it off and no one i know has one. I might just get the bike shop to do it next time its in. The rear brake needs bleeding real bad.
Just use a pair of pliers, or some heavy garden snips. Break the bastard off! (Assuming it is a plastic one)

actionchris

Likes Dirt
Im heading up to coffs today to ride caranbah today looking foreward to it will be the bikes first real hit out on some big trails. I'll give a review on it tonight.

actionchris

Likes Dirt
Well i promised a review and here it is

I got about six and a half runs in today The half being when i flatted halfway down and walked the rest of the way. The bike went so good after two runs i felt i had the suspension spot on and was keeping a decent pace down the hill. The forks and shocks went well a little too much rebound at the start but that is all in the set up, they were a little chattery in the real hairy sections but otherwise i was comfortable. Throughout the day i lost the chain a few times going through rock gardens and ruts but its not enough to tempt me in to a guide as the chain came straight back on when i began pedalling. The brakes never gave any hint of fade with a 185mm front and 160mm rear (im 68kg + approx 14kg for the bike) and felt like they could stop a train even with on finger braking. The sram rear mech shifted fine even when i was getting rattled to pieces, very happy with it though i think most mechs are a case of set up rather than price. With the seatpost i simply dropped the post to its lowest setting and left it there it never got in the way and came in handy when we were mucking around riding uo the hill to repeat sections. The only thing holding me back was experience in downhill riding and i felt a little exposed as all i had was a regular helmet and borrowed goggles. I'm going to invest in a full face and some gloves to give me more confidence to hit the bigger jumps with more speed and another chainstay protector as the chain slap on the stays was horrendus through the rough. The only other change i can see if perhaps going tubeless when the prowlers and dead, i cant justify replacing them atm, they held their line well with only a little drama when pushing hard through loose sections, the flat was more a case of the tube designed for a two inch tyre rather than a 2.35 i think i replaced with a corrrect sized on running the same pressure (30 psi) and will see how it holds up. For pure downhill i would of preferred a higher rise and slightly wider (stock are 685mm 0.75 inch rise) handle bar purely from a personal preferrence view. The stem gave no flex and the whole bike was very manouverable and controllable at both high and slow speeds.

That was a bit bigger than i thought hopefully some one will get a bit of use of my rambling.

actionchris

Likes Dirt
Not much of an update but here it is anyway. I've bought a bit of protecitve gear since buying the bike (full face, pressure suit, shin guards) and now no longer feel im going to kill myself when im pointing downhill. I'm still playing with the rear shock, trying to find the balance between downhill and trails but feel i've got it pretty much spot on now. It felt real good up at coffs on sunday and doesnt't wallow about while pedalling around. I've also decided to try some wider bars, looking at the raceface atlas freeride ones at 785mm. Will get them asap. I also managed to blow out the sidewall in the rear tire, that has been replaced with a small block 8 for trails and a high roller for downhill. I'll get some more pics after i clean it.

actionchris

Likes Dirt
MIght give this a bump to show you guys how it look eight months on.

Changes are as follow
-Titec El Norte replaces the joplin as its seals contracted dysentery.
-Deity Decoy 2.0 replce the exustars as this happened to them

-E.13 SRS and Renthal 36t Ring replace the 2 ring/Bash set up. Need to get some longer chainring bolts to mount the turbo charger guard. Might not bother though the old raceface bash works fine.
-Answer Pro-tapers cut to 750mm replace the standard Atlas Am bars
-Lizard Skin Peaty's replce the standard giant grips which were worn down to the plastic
-Minion F/Highroller combo replace the standard WTB prowlers (ripped the sidewalls in both of them)

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just use a pair of pliers, or some heavy garden snips. Break the bastard off! (Assuming it is a plastic one)
i did that on my X1- what a bastard of a job!!!!!!!!!

good to see your enjoying the X0!