2009 Kink Apex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I finally caved in and bought myself a BMX bike. Jing's been pushing me to do so for the past week and I've been doing hours of research since (going out of my mind).

Initially I thought I'd be able to walk into a shop with $500 and buy a decent complete but on checking a few completes out I felt that all of them looked a bit try hard. It's almost like they were trying to 'look' custom.

As a skater back in the day (lol) there wasn't any such thing as a "complete" skateboard (unless you bought one from Kmart). You bought a deck you liked, then the trucks you liked, wheels and basically personalised your own board. Skate culture rocks and BMX culture is pretty similar so I really wanted to do it right an go custom.

I had a play with adding things to a basket on Strictly BMX. Frame $400, cranks $350... that's already $750!!! By the time I had finished my build it came to $1700+. That quickly put an end to the idea of going custom. I had a little look at some 2nd hand bikes, rattled off a few private messages (to waste their time of-course... sorry guys!) but decided I couldn't trust buying a BMX bike off some dude who's thrashed it harder than I ever would.

So today I went for a drive out to Belrose cycles to check out their 2009 range of We The People (WTP) bikes. When I finally got to the store I saw a few lower end WTP bikes and again, all that paint, colours, skulls... they were just trying way too hard.

I eyed off a simple black BMX in the corner, turns out it the top of the line 2009 model Kink Apex. I got thinking that the black was a good base to start with if I wanted to add some colour to it in future. The bike's RRP was a whopping $1300 but I walked away with it for $899.00 (thanks Adrian!) so despite being a lot of cash for such a little and simple bike. I'm happy. Hpw bike shops can knock so much off a 2009 bike is beyond me (I'm not complaining!).

2009 KINK APEX
SPECIFICATIONS:
--------------------------------------------------
Frame: 100% Chromoly Double Butted TT and DT Frame 20.75" tt
Fork: Odyssey Race Fork
Brake Levers: Odyssey Medium Monolever Brake Lever
Brakes: Odysssey Evo II Brake
Bottom Bracket: Sealed Mid Bottom Bracket
Crankset: 175mm 3 Piece Tubular Chromoly Cranks, Kink 25t Alloy Decimal Sprocket
Pedals: Odyssey Twisted Plastic Pedals
Headset: Sealed Integrated Headset
Handlebar Stem: Alloy Front Load Stem
Handlebar: Kink Badger Bars
Hubs: Sealed Joytech Cassette 14mm, 36h Rear Hub
Cassette / Freewheel: 1pc sealed 9t driver
Rims / Wheelset: Allienation Black Sheep 36h Front Rim, Chrome Rear
Tyres: Kenda Kontact 20" 1.95" Rear Tyre, K1041 20" 2.25" Front Tyre
Seat Post: Pivotal Stump Post
Saddle: Kink Pivotal Slim Seat
Grips: Kink Alpha Grips
--------------------------------------------------
RRP: $1300
Purchase price: $899
Weight: 11.08kg

Now for some pics (the bike will be de-stickered tonight of-course lol!).

simmooo!

Likes Dirt
Another awesome bike to add to the collection. Looking forward to watching this bike turn into a stunning ride (wait, already is).
Ride it hard.:)

Gripo

Eats Squid
Very nice choice. Now buy some tight jeans and a bandana to match haha.

Let us know how it rides, and your progression etc.

you know he will and it will inspire the next 3 pages of answers....

i'd love a bmx too BUT..., a circa 1982 Redline Pro Line.......when bmx's mattered to me.....

tight jeans shot please, not you wearin them Justin.........your missus :p

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah yeah I'll get Suga to mount the Kink for a shot ASAP! Gahhh love chicks on bikes (not the dykes though, well... not the big ones).

I had a play up and down the street earlier today. It's a playful looking bike, it feels fun when you're just riding it, but when I try to do anything on it I come to the hard realisation that I can't do anything on it!!! BAHAHAHA.

I tried doing a few 180 hops and only managed 90's... gah. It's nothing like skating (I can do a shitload more on a board) so the hard realisation is that it's going to be a long road but I'm looking forward to mucking around on it, especially at the parks (I'm ready for a world of pain, bring it on!).

I've made a pact with a higher power that upgrades will NOT happen until I actually start pulling shit off on it. That's the kind of incentive I need to go harder on it.

PS: All the Kink decals are now no longer on the bike. Couldn't help myself lol.

howie_two4

Likes Dirt
Very nice bike indeed.
My mate has one of these, and if I was ever to buy a bmx, it would be one of these. Awesome stock spec and pretty light too.

'Ross

Eats Squid
Im gonna start counting down until Justin Fox builds a fixie.

A week of pestering from his mate should do the trick:p

-|Sean|-

Likes Dirt
While I admit it looks quite stealthy (in a good way) I just don't understand the $$ behind BMX.

Retail of $1300? What are you buying exactly? A tiny frame, small wheels, single speed, and a single brake.

Someone help me understand because I'm really not trying to instigate an argument - I just want to know :)

LIAM?!

Banned
While I admit it looks quite stealthy (in a good way) I just don't understand the $$ behind BMX.

Retail of $1300? What are you buying exactly? A tiny frame, small wheels, single speed, and a single brake.

Someone help me understand because I'm really not trying to instigate an argument - I just want to know :)
300 for the bike
1000 for the tight virgin 13 year olds.

nice looking bike man, but im no tight 13 year old virgin :p

Lorday

Eats Squid
Shut the fuck up Lordgay.
Oh shut downwith such an original call, 34 post and already winnng e-fights, your my hero...<3<3

....pfffffffttt f**k off you knob jockey, hey I think you should go paint your face with your mothers makeup, or lick up some dick cheese....

...huh you still think your king shit? ...nah i didn't think so, nor are you my hero.
END OF E-FIGHT

Sorry Justin for fighting in you respecable thread.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL hardly a respectable thread haha.

Im gonna start counting down until Justin Fox builds a fixie.
Haha. Well I'd rather go fixed than brakeless BMX. I was there at the premier of "Mashed SF" and thought it was fairly cool (they trying to steal some BMX culture thunder or what?!). But isn't fixed teh gay?

Bahahaha.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
LOL hardly a respectable thread haha.

Haha. Well I'd rather go fixed than brakeless BMX. I was there at the premier of "Mashed SF" and thought it was fairly cool (they trying to steal some BMX culture thunder or what?!). But isn't fixed teh gay?

Bahahaha.
oh gee thats not weird....

Status
Not open for further replies.