2009 Solo 24hr Nationals

DaGonz

Eats Squid
There's been a bit of chatter about this already so thought I'd kick the thread off.

This weekend will mark exactly 3 months or 13 weeks till easter. How's everyones training going? Who's Excited!? :D who's not? :(

The old website is still up:

http://solo24hour.com.au/

so I'm guessing it'll be a matter of time before that's updated.

See you all there!

Cheers
Gonz

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
My prep...

Well, the plan was to stay healthy and build up to the event via some marathons and the Mountains to Beach multi-day event. That's still the plan, but I'm going to have to start easy after last Sunday's unfortunate turn of events - I broke a chunk off the left side of my pelvis from a hard fall at Stromlo. Still, I couldn't walk on Monday and I'm now hobbling around without crutches. Luckily, my base fitness is good, so I'll be back on track by the time the Otway comes around.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
The broccoli is coming along well and the longlife custard is in the cupboard.

Dreggsy, are you on our team for this one? Or are you going to persist with too many buttons?

krisko

Likes Dirt
Yep, looking forward to it 6+6!

I planned on doing the full 24hr but other commitments have priority. Being mentally ready, or not ready as the case may be, could make the day very painful.

I'll see how I am this December for 24hrs in 2010.....

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
Unless im mistaken, theres the marathon champs (probably racing), thenthe wekend after the mont (racing) and then the weekend after that the solo nationals. Three big weekends in a row is a fair bit. But im fairly keen to race the U18 6+6, try and put last years miserable race behind me.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
i take it you'll be back to conquer last year's demons ;) http://spoonboy.solonutter.org/blog/?p=91
Totally. I've been doing a lot of reading and seeking out some professional help as well, so we'll see. Some adjustments to training and nutrition and you never know what could happen ;)

I broke a chunk off the left side of my pelvis from a hard fall at Stromlo. Still, I couldn't walk on Monday and I'm now hobbling around without crutches. Luckily, my base fitness is good, so I'll be back on track by the time the Otway comes around.
Ouch! Hope you recover quickly! did they have to bolt it back on ?

Cheers
Gonz

Fruitbat

Likes Dirt
I am slowly ramping things up, doing some base K's up until the 12 week to go mark when I'll start the serious stuff. 12 hour road race at Penrith this weekend to try a few new things nutrition-wise and to test the legs a little.
Other than that, for me at this stage it a matter of getting into the good habits (eating right and stretching) and getting out of the bad ones (beers after the ride anyone?), riding and racing as much as work and family permits.

akashra

Eats Squid
Holy crap, only 3 months away. This is certainly sneaking up - I overtrained in October and have been mostly off the bike since then, and am only 2 weeks back into base :(

Unless something goes horribly wrong I plan to be there in the 6+6 - my race calendar leading up to it look something like this:

<5.5 weeks here then:>
Rest
MTBA#5 (Glenorchy, A/Race)
Week off
Week off
VES#2 (Mt Beauty, C/Peak)
Marathon Championships (Wandong, A/Race)
VSS#7 (You Yangs, A)
Solo Nationals (Majura, B)

It's a nightmare schedule because of having so many As spread out. It's that one that says "Beauty" that's got me worried and may get pulled.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
No bolts...

Ouch! Hope you recover quickly! did they have to bolt it back on ?

Gonz
No bolts - there's not much they can do with the piece of bone that was displaced (about the size of the top of my little finger). I've got three stitches and ruptured a small artery, so I have the most impressive bruise you're ever likely to see. Today (Thursday) I've only got only a slight limp, so recovery is looking pretty good. At this rate, I'll be commuting by early next week, which is just as well - I've gained about 3kg over the Christmas feasting season!

Keep up the training everyone, but don't follow my example!

Onegear

Likes Dirt
One Race

This is the only one race I am really excited about this year I will be there fit and ready for it on the SS.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The broccoli is coming along well and the longlife custard is in the cupboard.

Dreggsy, are you on our team for this one? Or are you going to persist with too many buttons?
I'm going to ride the button machine, unless the on-one frames turn up before then.
and I'll have the Dual Suspension Single speed as backup.

It's a nightmare schedule because of having so many As spread out. It's that one that says "Beauty" that's got me worried and may get pulled.
Hey Tim,

pardon my ignorance but what are "A"'s "B"'s and "C"'s?

Given no HDATO in the list are you going to be selective with the State Enduro races this year and not do the full series?

Cheers

Nigel

akashra

Eats Squid
Hey Tim,

pardon my ignorance but what are "A"'s "B"'s and "C"'s?

Given no HDATO in the list are you going to be selective with the State Enduro races this year and not do the full series?

Cheers

Nigel
A/B/C represent event priority on the yearly calendar. Max 4 A priorities per year (year for me being Jul 08-Jun 09) - the forth was the SurfCoast 6 hour.

Haven't decided on HDATO yet or other VES rounds, but yeah, it's unlikely I'll do them all. 9 solo 6 hour races in my second year or racing burnt me out pretty good - last year the goal was to get top 10 in any of them.

I think us two were the only people to do the entire series - will you be continuing on with the training and hitting up the 6+6 event at the 24 Nationals? :)

will you be continuing on with the training and hitting up the 6+6 event at the 24 Nationals? :)
The training continues and I am looking forward to my annual fitness test at the Alpine Classic over the long weekend.

I am aiming to give the VES a crack again this year, plus a few marathons: Odyssey, FELT, BMC

The 24 Nationals sound very tempting but it would be grounds for divorce if I went racing this Easter...but next year might be the go. The 6+6 format sounds awesome, I wonder if Snozza would consider doing it for the Kona!

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So far my training looks a little like this.
Morning Commute = 40min Fixie ride uphill from Manly to St Leonards
Afternoon commute = 30min fixie commute St Leonards to Manly

Mon: morning commute / weights.gym / Afternoon commute / 2hr mtb ride
Tue: morning commute / weights.gym / Afternoon commute / 2hr mtb ride
Wed: morning commute / Relaxing Swim / Afternoon commute / fun night ride (SS) with the boys
Thu: morning commute / weights.gym / Afternoon commute / Indoor rock climbing 2 hrs
Fri: morning commute / weights.gym / Afternoon commute / 2hr mtb ride
Sat: 150km Fixie ride @ 3:1 ratio
Sun: chillout or race or social ride with mates.

which works out to approx 17hrs of MTB riding / week without counting Sundays effort.

This should get me in shape for Easter.

Yep I've sopken to Aido re: ON-One, I'm waiting for the new 18" frames to come in.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
which works out to approx 17hrs of MTB riding / week without counting Sundays effort.

Are you aiming to take out the overall win? Thats some serious time on the bike. I like the idea of rock climbing. Is that in anticipation for some narly sections this year?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Are you aiming to take out the overall win? Thats some serious time on the bike. I like the idea of rock climbing. Is that in anticipation for some narly sections this year?
Maybe he's getting ready for the 09 worlds in Canmore again.

I've been doing a bit of rock climbing. It's fun, a little different and works some muscles you don't normally work without having to go to the Gym.

Cheers
Gonz

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They haven't told you about the hike-a-bike section?

Do you think that might be too much riding?

I wont be going to the worlds for a few years yet ( i turn 40 )
I wanna win the grey mans category