2010/2011 MTBA National Series

murphnat

Likes Dirt
I managed to race every round of the national series and i very impressed with the events held this season. The tracks were really good and i enjoyed the different aspects that each course had to offer (however it was a shame QLD dropped its round). There would have been over 150 riders at each round....which made the transport work really well. There was loads of close racing in the categories and it was great to see the boys battling it out round after round.

I really enjoyed this season and i cant wait to see what the next series looks like.............but will there be a series for DHI next year??

I think it was difficult for the MTBA with the lack of rider participation at the events. However i never really did see any promotion of the events to get people's interest. There were usually quite a few riders in U17's, U19's and Elite but there were hardly any riders in other categories.

It really surprised me that when the overall was finished the winners of the series were not announced on the frontpage of rotorburn (i can only presume that MTBA did not request this) as they are our countries national champions. Does no one care about DH anymore? There was never much hype about the national series in the forums either.

My question to you Rotorburners is:
What steps do you think the MTBA should take to make the DH national series more appealing to racers from across Australia?

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
My question to you Rotorburners is:
What steps do you think the MTBA should take to make the DH national series more appealing to racers from across Australia?
IMHO spend time getting more people into MTBing, i see that the only tracks that are not smashed out at the moment are illegal, and not talked about (in SE VIC) Make this sport accessible to the public, and the racing numbers will follow!!

swanny

Likes Dirt
Hey Nato,
You beat me to it, but Im very glad you bought this up. To let you know, in the coming weeks there is a specific MTBA meeting regarding the future and operation of the National Series for 2011/12. It is a major focus for MTBA in the coming months.
So it would be of great assistance to hear from the MTB community about their thoughts on the Series and suggestions for future series.
The MTBA committee is acutely aware of the current situation with the Series, and will be listening to feedback, and acting accordingly.

I am very passionate about the National Series and i will be making it a priority of mine to help get it right.

Things to consider when posting:
-The timing of events (what time of year)
-The venues we use
-The cost of events
-What YOU look for at and event, what do you want to see at events.
-What the best part of going to a MTB event, for you, why do you go????

If you are just going to whinge, please dont bother, constructive criticism, no probs, we are listening, and we do care......

Also, for consideration, the National Series is the pinnacle of MTB racing in Australia, for particular disciplines. It helps to determine the selection of Australian representatives, and in some cases, Olympians. By nature, these events are going to be more official, more expensive, and a little less chilled out. This does not mean they cant be fun!!!!! Its why we are all here. The National Series can be participated in for a number of reasons, for Aussie selection, for a stepping stone above the state level events, or just for fun.........

Matt.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I've attended a few National rounds, and I must say and I'm not meaning to be rude but why would State riders pay the extra money to race the same tracks they race on in their State Series?
Also, I am a firm believer in National races should be held on National level tracks. The National Champs should be held on a World Cup level track. You might call this stupid but I believe this is critical in getting our riders ready to race on the world stage.

stevenw

Pro Rider
I agree with Matt above. The national series are important to the DH community and I hope MTBA don't drop it. As I've said before on this website, Our riders need to be tested on harder, more technical tracks, especially the riders that are selected to ride for Australia. It really is like sending lambs to slaughter if we send riders overseas to race the world champs, who are not use to riding such hard and technical tracks. The only tracks close to overseas in my opinion are Illinbah and Hobart, so we need more tracks like these in our National series. It was sad Illinbah had to cancel its National round because of the rain. I believe if you give the people tracks like Illinbah, the riders will come. If you give the people tracks like Adelaide most riders will stay away. We need to do more to get better tracks and to support the clubs.

I agree that more has to be done on Rotorburn to promote the sport. It seems not alot is being posted these days. I'm still waiting on the Oceania write up and video to be posted plus the national round. Come on Rotorburn lets get back to the way things use to be.

Last edited:

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good thread...

It is sad to see the numbers so low at the National rounds. DH isn't dead that's for sure! If anyone needs proof of that come to a Victorian State round.

I do have to agree about the tracks. I'd love to see more exciting tracks on the circuit. But, which tracks are there that are actually up to that level? Illinbah is a name that keeps popping up so it is a shame that is couldn't be raced this series. It is hard I guess, MTBA only get to choose from tracks where clubs are willing to run it with/for MTBA. If they are all on not the best tracks in the country MTBA still has to pick 5 tracks from what is on offer which may not exactly be the best tracks around.

From a clubs point of view, we have tracks that are up to the standard that people are wanting however looking at the participant numbers on the National circuit over the last few years, if the club was to host a National round we would end up loosing a lot of money. We are a very small club and that simply isn't an option.

How to make it better??

I'm just thinking aloud here... How about merge that National series with State Championships? Each State has a State Championship already but make it so that it also counts as a National round? So, let's say I race the Victorian Champs and the SA Champs. Essentially, they are each standalone events. However, link them together and I have just raced 2 National rounds. That way you get the numbers turning up from each states usual racers plus a few extras for the national round points. So, straight away, instead of the usual 120-150 riders the national series is now getting 400 riders (in Vic thats realistic - not sure about other States participation levels) to a round. Once it builds up then perhaps look at running it standalone. At the moment the National series on its own does not seem viable.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have openly said it about any state series operating in Australia: You should have to aulify to ride in a National round. To do that, you should have proved your pedigree from a state level and to have reached state level status you should have proven yourself at club level. Lets face it, anyone with a coloured bike and a full face helmet can show up and ride a national or state level race. That sucks and it puts glamour in the achievemnt of actually arcing at that level. I don't know of any other sport that allows any level of competitor to share the same venue as some of the worlds best.
Some people will say that they aren't part of a club scene etc and therefore can't qualify for a state series start or even a national series. I say bullshit. If you have the intention of making it to a state or national race then you should put the legs in to make it through the club scene. I don't know of any state or national tracks that aren't part of a club scene so there isn't really an excuse.
I also think the facilities required and the amount of money needed to run a national event is ridiculous. At the end of the day all it boils down to is how good the action is on the track. A fancy pit area or a fancy set of signage isn't totally necesary to make our events look great, a quality field of riders who have proved themselves in lesser categories and earned themselves a name is! It is important to stage the event at a place that can accomodate our elite level riders but it isn't the reason for the series existence. If the fields enetered were stacked with great ability then you may onl;y have one hundred riders and managing the event would be easier. You would have a shit load of spectators show up if the events were staged nearby populated areas and the money generated by a small entry fee could be thrown to the guys competing to attract them to race.
You should have to qualify over several events to prove you are worthy. I am happy to pay to watch riders race a world cup or the world champs and I would gladly do the same to watch the best in Australia race a national series.
I don't think bigger numbers is the answer. Money isn't what drives this sport and many places cannot accomodate large amounts of people without making it uncomfortable for the majority. Quality over quantity is the answer! Promote your series as the best home grown talent in the world!

Last edited:

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Good thread...

I'm just thinking aloud here... How about merge that National series with State Championships? Each State has a State Championship already but make it so that it also counts as a National round? So, let's say I race the Victorian Champs and the SA Champs. Essentially, they are each standalone events. However, link them together and I have just raced 2 National rounds. That way you get the numbers turning up from each states usual races plus a few extras for the national round points. So, straight away, instead of the usual 120-150 riders the national series is now getting 400 riders (in Vic thats realistic - not sure about other States participation levels) to a round. Once it builds up then perhaps look at running it standalone. At the moment the National series on its own does not seem viable.

This is an interesting Thread and I would encourage all riders to voice their opinion because this is all about you - not officialdom! The suggestion above is starting to get close to the mark - at the end of the day participation in our National series must be viewed as the domestic pinnacle of your racing which provides a possible pathway for selection into our National Team to compete at International level. Yes, there are a whole raft of issues to solve to make it work and that will only happen with your involvement commencing at Club level. To that end it is my contention that all intending participants in any form of mountain bike racing must be full Club and MTBA members. MTBA members will have the opportunity of voicing their opinion on how and if a National Series should be conducted shortly (I hope MTBA put a post up on this Forum notifying riders?) - use it. cheers all

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with Matt above. The national series are important to the DH community and I hope MTBA don't drop it. As I've said before on this website, Our riders need to be tested on harder, more technical tracks, especially the riders that are selected to ride for Australia. It really is like sending lambs to slaughter if we send riders overseas to race the world champs, who are not use to riding such hard and technical tracks. The only tracks close to overseas in my opinion are Illinbah and Hobart, so we need more tracks like these in our National series. It was sad Illinbah had to cancel its National round because of the rain. I believe if you give the people tracks like Illinbah, the riders will come. If you give the people tracks like Adelaide most riders will stay away. We need to do more to get better tracks and to support the clubs.
I agree.
I didn't go over to race the Champs in Adelaide, because after riding there before, couldn't really be bothered with the trip and the cost to ride that track, which i don't like myself, or find what is super demanding track.

From what i've heard Illinbah and Hobart sound up to it in terms of techniality, but as Sam mentioned as well, how about Barjarg in vic? Although he said the clubs too small, it would require support from the series and MTBA to run it, but i'd say that track is definately worthy.

Shepparton also didn't quite look like the greatest track for a national round, there are better tracks in Vic for that level of racing.

If the national series offered a range of top level tracks, then i'd try my best to attend them all.
But i suppose a lot of that goes down to there being a shortage of track in Australia, and how behind the scene we are compared to Europe, Canada and NZ.

Last edited:

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
I'm just thinking aloud here... How about merge that National series with State Championships? Each State has a State Championship already but make it so that it also counts as a National round? So, let's say I race the Victorian Champs and the SA Champs. Essentially, they are each standalone events. However, link them together and I have just raced 2 National rounds. That way you get the numbers turning up from each states usual racers plus a few extras for the national round points. So, straight away, instead of the usual 120-150 riders the national series is now getting 400 riders (in Vic thats realistic - not sure about other States participation levels) to a round. Once it builds up then perhaps look at running it standalone. At the moment the National series on its own does not seem viable.
I have to agree with Samsty. This is how other hobbies work. I use to race RC Cars and this is how it is done. You have your state rounds count as points towards a nationals racking and you have a one off National Championship round like Adelaide. The Champs are rotated from state to state.

As for the the Shep round, the Shepparton Council are the one that put the bid in to hold a round. There is no way that the GV MTB Club could hold a round as we can not afford it and as stated earlier we would have lost a lot of money.

It is the cost and lack of numbers that will hold the MTBA Nationals back as a one off event. As someone that also helps out at the nationals round, the atmosphere also lacks when you compare it to the Vic Series.