2010: An Otway Odyssey

DaGonz

Eats Squid
While I'm opening up threads galore, is anyone else eagerly awaiting opening of the otway entries:

http://www.rapidascent.com.au/OtwayOdyssey/

Mid Sept is rapidly running out ;) Who's going? who's not? Who's still scarred from the endless single track of the very first year? or the year with the mud? or just well... any year? :)

...Thinking I might like to do this one again. might have to make my mind up sooner than later though!

Cheers
Gonz

akashra

Eats Squid
For the first time, I may actually do the Otway Odyssey next year. Though I'm still really tempted to just smash out the Pioneer as an XCT as fast as I can >:)

joe79

Likes Dirt
Last year i did the 50km, and told my friends i'd do the 100 in 2010, thinking it was a long way away still.
It suddenly doesn't seem so distant now, i'm starting to get a little nervous.

emty

Likes Dirt
I'm doing it, did it the last two years & loved it. Until about 10k in when I realise how much it hurts.
I will be doing the BV three peaks challange, three weeks later, so the training will work in well.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at the website the 50 is based from Forrest, the 100 starts in Apllo Bay again.

Can't wait !

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still picking mud out of my drivetrain, and ears, from the 08 Odyssey. And still coughing up dust and sand from this years. I suspect 2010 will be a miss, but I'll find something to substitute for it (stage race maybe?)

For those thinking about making the jump from 50 to 100 - just do it. Without a doubt, the first 50 is the hardest bit in the whole race. Once you hit Red Carpet, you've got about 40km of middle ring singletrack in front of you. Knackered or not, you'll love it.

You may curse your decision as you grovel up Britney's Meltdown on the final loop, but it's all worth it, trust me!

milux

Likes Dirt
Carn't wait, bring it on!!! This year was my first and definitly wont be my last. My aim for next year is to ride more than half the first 40Km, as aposed to push the bike...

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon I'd call the Doctor harder than OO.

At least with OO you get alot of the climbing done early. Granted, it is a huuuuge push, but once it's done you're in middle ring heaven for quite some time.

Doctor - up, down, up, up, down, up, up, up, up, down. If you can't get a flow on, you fatigue bloody quickly.

Both challenging in their own way.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
The 15km pioneer is a wasted effort - only good for social riders who want to be part of the action. First 5km up gravel road, then bottom half of Red Carpet and a bit of gravel based trail, then back to dirt road. A roadie has won in the past, all climbing and little skill, I'd do it on a rigid bike.

I'll wait for the map of the 50km, seems they are keen to add single track and have taken the challenge out of the course. With the numbers entering you may well be waiting in a queue for the first half waiting to get through the single track.

The 100km keeps its reputation and may well be the only race worth entering.

dougmcdoug

Likes Dirt
Yep hopefully the 100km next year, did the 50km last year on the SS - bad move killed my knee for 3months. Hopefully I'm not away when its on. Bring it baby

Hud

Likes Dirt
Hmm...Starting the 50km in Forrest is a good idea. The 50km people get a whole lot of ST and they are starting fairly early too which means most of them will be out of the way once the bulk of the 100km riders arrive. This should mean less clogging for most of the riders most of the time. I guess the 100km pro's will catch up to the 50km stragglers at some point which will be frustrating for them.
The weather last year was perfect, I can't see conditions being as good again, though it was a little dusty...

fergo

Likes Dirt
In 2008 I rode to finish it. The mud was sooo thick, my rear wheel stopped spinning at one stage. I saw people sliding back down hills they were trying to go up. It was one step up, push the bike, brakes on, one step up etc etc.

In 2009, I set a goal and rode to beat it. THe dry eather was fantastic. It was great to go 54km/h down Barwon Track. It was a great change to the previous year. Beat my goal by 3 minutes!!!!

THis time I was going to just cruise with mates and move among the field between different mates. THEN i heard the 50km track was a loop in and out of Forrest on single track - the one thing the previous years had missed.

Now is a dilema:confused:, take it easy and cruise the 50km with mates or step up to do the 100km? As uhuforrest said, not much challenge in a que of riders waiting to go into single track.

Maybe Rapid ascent will have staggered start lines like the BMC 100 for the 50km race?

i just wish it would open so I can register!!!!:D

krizbike

Likes Dirt
I'd like to do it. Will have to sort out holidays and travel time/costs since I'd be coming down from NNSW.
I did the 50k two years ago and sufferred in the mud. Damn hard work. I saw another guy walk past carrying his bike on his shoulder - definitely the best way as whenever I pushed it the wheels would lock up from mud.
I vowed to only do the 100k from then on, since the first 50 is the hardest bit. But now I hear about the 50 being around single track.. hmmm... Not so sure anymore - but as someone said if you do the 100k it spreads riders out by the time you get to the single track.

thematrix

Likes Dirt
$1 per km

hey dose anyone think is is just too expensive. I really don't want to pay more than $1 per km for a race. is the entry fee too high or am i being a tight A...
plenty of great club races around cheaper. what make this race so special, i need to be convinced???

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
How fast does it usually sell out? I can't really ask the 'rents to pay for entry fees anymore, and Im not going to have money for a little while now. But this is THE race I have wanted to do since I started racing and would love to race next year.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
hey dose anyone think is is just too expensive. I really don't want to pay more than $1 per km for a race. is the entry fee too high or am i being a tight A...
plenty of great club races around cheaper. what make this race so special, i need to be convinced???
The 100k is a mix of the great scenery, private land, the climbing, then the concentration on the single track. A few stories of relaxing on the last loop then crashing on single track. Would be difficult to replicate this mix at any other race, you don't cover any trail twice, (except into/out of footy ground). Also you can ride on a variety of bike types, choice is yours.

50km used to be the "personal challenge" thing. I feel this is likely dimished to give the punters more single track, something they can already ride on 364 other days of the year.

15km - don't bother

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
How fast does it usually sell out? I can't really ask the 'rents to pay for entry fees anymore, and Im not going to have money for a little while now. But this is THE race I have wanted to do since I started racing and would love to race next year.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
So exactly how much climbing is there???
For the 100km, elevation change is about 500m from Apollo Bay to the fire tower, then back down into Forrest.

It is however a roller coaster ride, so you would be climbing a total of around 2,000m.

Garmin download:
Total Elevation 3,327
Elevation Gain 1,756
Elevation Loss 1,571

This does not include the private property so closer to 2km Gain / Loss

Most of the climbing is in the first 40km

Last edited: