DH 2010 GT Fury

riene5

Likes Bikes
I started out looking at a 2010 Glory 01 on special, but after talking to the guys at CBD, they Al Capone'd me and offered me "a deal too good to refuse". So, I'm now the (very) proud owner of a 2010 GT Fury.

I just got it after waiting for a Frameskin kit to be put on it. Very sweet job, you have to look hard to see the coating.

It's all stock at the moment except for the pedals. I put a set of Speedplay Drillium's on, they're nice and light and suit the bike's looks. I think they are a bit exy though. Lesson: do not go and buy bits for your new bike just after you picked it up and are still on that new bike high... :)

Specs below anyway (taken from the GT website):

Frame - 2010 Fury
Rear shock - Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 with 300lb spring
Front shock/fork - Rock Shox Boxxer World Cups
Handlebars - Fun Fatboy
Stem - FUNN RSX Direct mount for Boxxer
Headset - FSA Orbit Z 1.5 R
Grips - GT alloy Lock Down
Saddle - WTB Rocket V Pro
Seatpost - Thompson zero offset
Front brake - Shimano Saint Centerlock 203 mm
Rear brake - Shimano Saint Centerlock 180 mm
Cranks - Shimano Saint
Chainguide - E-Thirteen SRS Light
Pedals - Speedplay Drillium
Rear derailleur - Saint short cage
Front shifter - Saint 9 speed
Hubs - DT / Swiss FW 440
Rims - Mavic EX-729
Tyres - Kenda Nevegal

A few pics:

A bit blury:

The pics don't do the frame justice. The front end is so fat it makes the boxxer's look like 2 straws strapped to the bike.

I can not wait to ride.

indica

Serial flasher
Have you ridden it yet?
300lb spring? Guess you got one of the smalls then? Mines a large...
Have you weighed it?

enjoy...

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How are they more exposed than any other bike with Boxxers? Nice bike BTW.
my guess is that he thinks that because there is so much gap between the downtube and wheel, tho looking at it properly on the side that has boxxer on the stanchion all looks fine.

would love one of these bikes, though im paranoid of GT's history with the DHI.

fantastic looking bike

riene5

Likes Bikes
I finally got to ride it and I have to report that the bike is sweet!

The frame is a small (I thought I was getting a medium) but I am fine with it.
The bike is very smooth and after 2 rides on it I am hitting stuff I never thought I'd hit before - the confidence a triple clamp fork inspires... Although I'm sure the geo of the bike has more to do with it.

It is very stable over the trails I'm riding and I'm carrying heaps more speed than on my old Comencal.

The pedals have been a bit of a let down, I have slipped a pedal a couple of times which I have never done with the Straightlines on my other bike. I'll give them a bit longer before I swap then out though.

The forks feel a little stiff at the moment, but I haven't really played with the settings except for putting in the recommended amount of air. I would like them to be more supple at the beginning of the stroke (same for the rear). I have to brush up on what all the adjustments do, it's a big step up from my old 66 RCVs and Rocco R...

I might think about getting bigger cranks (current ones are 165mm) as peddling along the flats can be a bit tiresome, but then again, it is a downhill bike. Just have to be careful with clearance on the small frame.

The bike has yet to be scratched, even though I have come off already (Saint brakes are powerful!!) - god help whoever is around me when I eventually scratch it - it will not be pretty :eek:

Hey indica, how do you go with shuttling? Do you worry about other bike rubbing up against the frame and potentially causing the carbon to begin to de-laminate?

indica

Serial flasher
I finally got to ride it and I have to report that the bike is sweet!

Hey indica, how do you go with shuttling? Do you worry about other bike rubbing up against the frame and potentially causing the carbon to begin to de-laminate?
Hey mate, just want an update from you, you enjoying it?
I have crashed a few times on mine, have a few scuff marks and a couple of small chips actually, although I guess it it just some outer coating.
Shuttling I bought a Grip Sport DH bike carrier and that does the trick with no touching.
I let loads of air out of the forks and wound back the compression - with the vivid I dropped down to 400lb spring ( I am 95kg) and it is sweet now.

Love how stiff the frame is, the thing is a fucken rocket.

riene5

Likes Bikes
Wow, didn't realise you asked for an update all in your last post.
Well, better late than never...

The Fury is kicking along strong.
Swapped out the Speedplays for some Straightlines - big improvement
Frame is super stiff and tough. Have come off in rather spectacular fashion and frame took the punishment easily (my shoulder didn't though)
Bike still feels solid down the trails.

I still think the bike is harder to pedal that some other DH bikes I've tried (small cranks?)
And since I've upgraded to an Elka Stage 5 on another bike, the vivid just doesn't feel as nice, although Elka are making a Stage 5 for the Fury now.

indica

Serial flasher
Well, a year for a reply!
I have K9 angle cups on mine - slacker by 1 degree and really like it. Measured @ 64. I saw Mick's old one for sale in the shop and it had 2 degree cups so was 63 degrees and looked so slack.
The Vivid is poo, but works, will do me just fine.
I have no issue pedalling it but I have not ridden another in such a long time I cannot compare - and my local is so steep it doesn't matter anyway.