2010 Morewood Makulu - New lease on life

nitro01

Likes Dirt
G'day lads and ladetts

Wanted to share my beastie that is still in progress- Nowhere near as amazeballs as Sir Ezkaton's Mean Green Squish Machine but it's pretty rad to me :)

I picked up this size long 2010 Makulu last November for $1200 from a fellow Brisbanite- Quite a steal considering the spec of it: 40's, DHX, MTX 31's,9 Speed XO rear derailleur and shifter, new chainring, Hayes Prime brakes, FSA supergravity cranks, but it wasn't without wear. The paint is a bit rough, the wheels aren't entirely straight and it's got some serious battle scars but it's mean it's slack and I just love it. Quite a character this thing... :) Likes the old lilypad on the trail, not exactly the sit back and let the bike do the work kind of rig but you gotta know how to boogie to get along with it.

The only things I've changed/added since I've owned it is a 250lb Elka spring on the rear shock, a bit of TLC to make sure it was all A-OK, a 36 tooth chainring, some Nukeproof Electron flats, new grips, temporary giant seat and some Vanderham 770mm bars.

Took it for a shuttle day, and aside the chain jumping out of the guide it was rad fun and it hucks like nothing I've ever ridden, once it's in the air it's such a calm and composed bike.

Right now it's in pieces getting a bit of a drivetrain refresher which is cool- Cassette (Sram DH) and the chain were looking a bit tired so I forked out a few hundred and picked up some bits- 9500 Ultegra 12-25 9 speed Cassette, KMC Chain and a Zee Crank to spice things up a little. I stole the Shimano Saint guide off my Trance SX, finally made it this legendary 1x10 without a chainguide (cheers all in that thread) so it's got a decent chain tensioning device now.

I will make updates as often as possible, but school may get in the way.

All that it needs right now is the BB to be swapped to the Shimano one that came with the crankset and I can finish putting it all together and then shred time!

Inspiration for this build is definitely the Ezkamobile (thanks for your help mate!), need to give this beast the lease on life it deserves!

Pics now added!
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0807.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
image1 (3).jpg

Picture half way through drivetrain resto. New cassette fitted :) Please excuse dodgy phone pic.... Cheers

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Okay so my plans for this thing are to make it something rugged and something that won't need maintenance every ride...

I'm going with a generally strong parts list, weight isn't an issue (it's fairly good where it's at right now), get some rims and eventually get around to getting it painted.

I love the whole low leverage pivot, flat tack it's great fun and very lively to me.

Today I took it to the LBS to get the bottom bracket changed over to the Shimano variant and got it all fitted up with the Saint Chainguide off my Trance SX, and the first couple of tries the chainring was mashed up against the guide until I realised there was a small plate used on the old Dabomb shitter chainguide to space it out because the BB cups on the FSA BB were HUGE

Removed that, two Shimano spacers on the drive side BB cup and 1 on the other, fits mint and narrowed the Q a lot, I'm tall and skinny so I like my cranks a little narrower :)

Next planned upgrade/fix is to get the forks serviced and the spring re-wrapped- It's clanging around like a bitch, and a set of tires. Tossing up between a set of Der Kaiser's or Minion DHF's.... Hmmmmm decisions :p

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I'm going with a generally strong parts list, weight isn't an issue (it's fairly good where it's at right now), get some rims and eventually get around to getting it painted.

Tossing up between a set of Der Kaiser's or Minion DHF's.... Hmmmmm decisions :p
Minionnsssssss!

What colour scheme you thinking?

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Minionnsssssss!

What colour scheme you thinking?
Either a charcoally or really really deep black, or a white front triangle and black rear triangle

Or just send it to Ezkaton for the #02 Ezkatonmobile

SO MANY DECISIONS ARGH

Minions eh? Give em a whirl. I like the one on the front, although the 2.4 Trail king on my Trance dwarfs it and I can't seem to get it to bite really leant over.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Is your chain a smidge long? It's sagging a bit.

Classic Makulu white, but would look great with a repaint!
Give it a unique flavour!

hazza6542

Eats Squid

Trust us, respraying frames and rebuilding bikes is a totally stress free project where nothing goes wrong...

I'm with ez, nice white would look really good.

nitro01

Likes Dirt

It's the right length Ez but it's a shithouse derailleur. It shifts sweet it just has no spring tension :(