2010 MTBA Australian Marathon Championships - Avoca, April 18

akashra

Eats Squid
I thought I'd give a free plug to Big Hill Events about the 2010 MTBA Marathon Championships, which they were awarded late this year after the 2009 event venue of Wandong being destroyed by the fires and rescheduled.

For 2010 it's moving to Avoca, Victoria - about half-way between Castlemaine and Ararat. The course will involve a lot more climbing than many would be used in in marathon events - over 3,000 vertical meters in just 90km. Easier options are available, with a 15km, 33km and 45km course being provided.

Those who have previously done The Gut Full marathon will know how well an event they put on - a fully-catered marathon with a ton of prizes to be handed out, and plenty to keep you occupied once you finish up with whatever distance you decide to enter.

Entries are now open (with free socks for the first 100 90km entrants!) via http://entryzone.bighillevents.com.au, and a field limit of 750 riders (500 90km riders) is in place.

Hopefully everyone will finish the 2009 MTBA Marathon Championships on Sunday and think "that was great, when's the next one?" - and if you do, this would be your answer. Except that this one will be tougher, so get training :)

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Damn friends with damn weddings in Ireland!
Why couldnt they have contacted MTBA to check for date clashes!!! :(

akashra

Eats Squid
Don't laugh, but I discovered since posting this that the date they've nominated is actually the same weekend as the BMC 100 ran last year. That's going to be entertaining :D

johndh

Likes Dirt
3000metres is not that much especially if it is all on fire roads, there is 2800 in Bendigo this Sunday with most of that on single trail. When you go up you have to go down at speed usually.

akashra

Eats Squid
3000metres is not that much especially if it is all on fire roads, there is 2800 in Bendigo this Sunday with most of that on single trail. When you go up you have to go down at speed usually.
If2800 John, you might want to update the website (or have had that info there all along) - you've always been saying ~2300.

solo

Likes Dirt
This is looking to be a great race in a place perfect for our sport
Some mates and I helped to clear some of the old endurance walking trail for this event yesterday and in previous weeks there has been lots of work being put into the course
There are some awesome descents and gutbusting climbs (no not all on fireroads) that promise to make this course fun and challenging
The best part of all is that we will be able to ride this sweet singletrack any time of the year which gives vic another true mountain range for mtbikers to play in

CHADDY

Likes Bikes
I have seen some helmet cam footage of some of the single trail.
WOW!
Its amazing that there is so much quality single trail out there that no-one has riden or raced on before!

Mark S

Likes Dirt
I realize that this event is a long way away, but does anyone connected with the event have any idea of the start times? The reason I ask is that I like to do these races with my son who participates in one of the shorter events. This year's event at Sedgwick worked brilliantly, whereby my son started after us adults and finished before us, with not too much time on his own (other than the actual race).