2010 reign 1 or 2 or a 2009 reign 1 (help me choose)

mudmav

Likes Dirt
So here are my options guys i can get any of the above bikes for the listed prices and spec I am really struggling to decide what to go with, any advice would be appreciated

2010 reign 0 For $3100

color White
frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 6.0" Maestro Suspension
fork Fox 32 Talas FIT RL w/ 15QR thru axle, 110/130/150mm travel
shock Fox DHX 4.0, air
handlebar Giant Contact low rise
stem Giant Contact
seatpost Giant Connect SL
saddle Fi'zi:k Nisene wingflex w/ K:ium rails
pedals Giant test ride
shifters SRAM X9 trigger 27speed
front derailleur Shimano Deore XT
rear derailleur SRAM X0
brakes Avid Elixer CR Hydraulic disc 7" front and 6" rear rotors
levers Avid Elixer CR Hydraulic
cassette Shimano Deore XT 9speed 11-34T
chain Shimano HG-73
cranks Race Face Deus XC, 22/32/44T
BBr Race Face X Type
rims Mavic EN521
hubs F:Giant Tracker Sealed w/15mm Axle R:Shimano Deore XT
spokes DT Competition 14/15g
tires Kenda Nevegal, Stick-E front, DTC rear 26x2.35"

2010 reign 1 for $2300

color Blue
frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 6.0" Maestro Suspension
fork Fox 32 Float RL w/ 15QR thru axle, 150mm travel
shock Fox DHX 4.0, Air
handlebar Giant Connect SL Low rise
stem Giant Connect SL
seatpost Giant Connect SL
saddle Fi'zi:k Nisene Sport w/ Manganese rails
pedals Giant test ride
shifters SRAM X7 trigger 27 speed
front derailleur Shimano SLX
rear derailleur SRAM X9
brakes Avid Elixer R Hydraulic disc 7" front and 6" rear rotors
levers Avid Elixer R Hydraulic
cassette SRAM PG980 11/34, 9-speed
chain Shimano HG-73
cranks Race Evolve XC, 22/32/44
BBr Race Face X Type
rims Mavic EN321 disc
hubs F. Giant Tracker w/15mm Axle, R. Shimano Deore
spokes 14/15g butted stainless
tires Kenda Nevegal, Stick-E front, DTC rear, 26x2.35"

2009 reign 1 for $2500

sizes S:16, M:18, L:20
colour Charcoal
frame ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 6.0"/152mm travel
fork Fox 32 Float RL w/lockout, 15QR, 5.5"/140mm
rear shock Fox Float RP2 w/adj. ProPedal
rear derailleur SRAM X-9 9 speed
front derailleur Shimano SLX
shifters SRAM X-7 trigger shift 27 speed
crankset Raceface Evolve XC X-Type 22x32x44T
bottom bracket Raceface Evolve XC X-Type integrated, outboard
shift/chain guide NA
chain Shimano HG73 9 speed
cassette SRAM PG980 9 speed 11-34T
brakes Shimano SLX hydraulic Disc w/7" front and 6" rear rotors
brake levers Shimano SLX
wheelset Shimano XT UST Tubeless
tyres Kenda Nevegal, Stick-front, DTC rear, 26x2.35"
pedals NA
h.bar/stem Raceface Evolve XC 31.8mm low rise/Raceface Evolve XC
seat post Raceface Evolve XC 30.9
saddle SDG Bel Air
grips Giant lock-on
extras Shock pump

I like the reign 1 2009 because is has the xt ust wheelset where as all the 2010 reigns have skimped on wheelsets a little.

The bike will be my general thrasher, so ill do some trail and xc riding and some all mountain/dh thrashing as i usually ride my 2010 glory so i tend to smash my trail bikes pretty hard.

Any advice or opionons would be appreciated.

Oh and which ever bike i get i will eventaully be fitting a set of fox 36 floats to it so within 12 months i will have to upgrade the front wheel to suit the 20mm TA.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't argue with the 09 price. Only notable difference is DHX vs RP2, the DHX being a higher air volume shock with piggyback, which will allow more suspension tuning options.

Is it worth an extra $700? Don't think so. If it bothers you hugely then replace it.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
1. As you already know the XT tubeless wheelset is worth having. Obviously when you change the fork you'll have to get a 20mm thru axle XT wheel.
2. The RP2 is the most reliable and well reviewed air shock ever made by Fox.
3. The SLX brakes are great. Avid brakes have a lot of fans out there, but from the experience we have in our workshop they are often a pain to set up and are quite grabby (some call this more powerful).
4. Race Face components (bar/stem/seatpost) are better than the generic Giant stuff on the 2010 bikes.
Buy the 2009 Reign and try to beat 'em down to $2300.

Last edited:

MickeyB

Squid
2010 reign 1 or 2 or a 2009 reign 1 (help me choose)

I purchased my 09 Reign 1 12 months ago since then I have taken it to Buller, competed in the Mt Wellington Super D and finished my first Otway Odyssey all running the stock components.

I regularly ride You Yangs and the Otway trails and it is ideal as a light duty all mountain rig.
There is nothing this bike cannot do within reason, if you want to do 6ft+ drops then take the Glory. If you want to go flat out downhill whilst still being able to ride back to the top then definitely go the Reign.

Personally I like the anodized charcoal finish of the 09 better then 2010's colour scheme.
I cannot rate the XT Wheel set highly enough, it has copped the worst that Buller, Mt Wellington and You Yangs can dish out and is still running perfectly smooth 12 months later. I believe it is a good compromise between durability and outright weight. It is UST compatible which is a bonus if you want to run tubeless. There is also a 20mm All Mountain version of the XT Wheelset available.

As a side note the RRP for the 09 model was around $4.5k when new, the current 2010 model is around $3.1k RRP. This should explain why the 2010 model you have been offered is cheaper then the 09.

From a value for money perspective I would go for the 09 Reign1 and then use the money saved over the X0 to go towards the shock upgrade.

Regards,

Michael

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
If you have the buget to buy the 2010 Reign in the first place, why not twist the arm of the guy at the bike shop to provide you with the 36 mm front end and 20mm wheel on the '09 for a nice price? They should be starting to sweat a bit on having an '09 on the floor as the '11 models will be breaking cover soon.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would beat them down even more in price for the the 09 and keep the rest for some upgrades (if you wanted) or some riding gear etc.

Last edited: