2010 Reign XO - Snapped the bottom link

mykryk

Likes Dirt
After plenty of research before I bought a 2010 reign x, I knew of the problem but took the odds. Anyone else had this happen?

spongebob

Likes Dirt
Not a high volume bike in Aus so maybe not many here, but heaps of reports in USA. The MTBR forums have a thread devoted just to this. I almost bought one but backed off after reading about it. I've read there is a thicker replacement link being distributed now so hopefully your giant dealer can sort it out.

carpo

Likes Bikes
yes

Yes. I have a 2010 Reign xo and have snapped the lower linkage once and have had the bike for coming on 4 months now so kinda not to happy, giant sorted me out quick fast and i spoke to the rep personaly and he hasnt come across the issue at all which really surprised me knowing about all the broken bike that i have read about on mtbr in usa.
I dont know wat giant are planing on doing about the idea coz the new 2011 bike have the same design and i have seen them all personally.

mykryk

Likes Dirt
How did yours break?
I should have mine back this week and have only been on it for about 2 months. I've heard that the replacement it thicker and stronger. Probably just a bad batch of links, because the glory and faith don't have the problem.
Besides for the weakest link I fuckin still love the bike though, never riden such a versatile bike.

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so thats why you didint ride last week mate!! and you have been using it mostly for XC riding..

sell it mate and get a Spesho again!! :)

ENDURO! lol (or a Morewood :))

been reading its a pretty common prob with the 2010 GRX overseas

Last edited:

L-iam

Likes Bikes
housemate cracked the frame under the toptube / seattube

its had a few months hard riding on it though and he likes to truck through things

Last edited:

carpo

Likes Bikes
linkage bolt

i have just snapped the bolt for the upper likage the one that goes through the linkage and the shock, just wondering if anybody else has done that

mykryk

Likes Dirt
Mick, what's the story? Is the linkage fixed and are you riding again?
Chuckie, Got it fixed within a week. Been riding since a few times, haven't been out for about a month now though.

We'll have to do some runs soon!
Have a good christmas!

Warfare

Likes Bikes
Last time I spoke to Giant Australia about this they denied any knowledge of the problem in America and said flat out that there was't a redesigned link, which is bull because I've seen plenty of pictures of it next to the original links. Hmm.

Mine hasn't broken yet but I'm a lightweight, I'm tempted to just get a spare of the new design so I can just swap over with no downtime if it happens. So if anyone's ordering a link, grab another one and I'll pay for it provided it's not like $200 :cool:

mykryk

Likes Dirt
Last time I spoke to Giant Australia about this they denied any knowledge of the problem in America and said flat out that there was't a redesigned link, which is bull because I've seen plenty of pictures of it next to the original links. Hmm.

Mine hasn't broken yet but I'm a lightweight, I'm tempted to just get a spare of the new design so I can just swap over with no downtime if it happens. So if anyone's ordering a link, grab another one and I'll pay for it provided it's not like $200 :cool:
Mine was about $200 with new bearings and labour.
It would be smart to change Before it does break, you won't damage the bearings then.
What i've read is that they break riding up tech terrain, because of torsional stress.
I think i did mine riding manly dam not bombing Oxy...weird huh.
So i dont think your weight has too much to do with the problem, more to do with putting heaps of power in a high gear stepping up rocks.
All in all still love the bike though, rear air shock is so versatile.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
i dont know if this may be of use, but i just found this on pinkbike -

yeah...its probably a seattube lenght issue...as many broken reign x links, that when it`s too low it touches the derailleur and breakes, it`s a matter of putting your bike together in the right way...I guess
maybe this is what happening as well as weak link? :confused: just thought id post it up to see if it helps...

MarkN

Cannon Fodder
Snapped my 2010 Reign X1 lower link as well

Snapped my 2010 Reign X1 lower link as well. After about 4 months of all-mountain riding. Broke it riding hard up a fire trail straight after a downhill section. Small front chain ring to middlish cassette gear. Knew straight away and stopped riding, so no bearing damage. Oh and the lower link definitely had clearance with the front derailer.

Giant Australia stepped up and replaced it under warranty. Didn't ask for the new link but it definitely is the new link. Week and a half turn around to get it fixed. We'll see how this new link holds out.

Still love the bike. No regrets.

Last edited:

dsignr

Likes Dirt
lower link failure

Ive got a 2011 reign X1 and a 2011 sx reign
the x1 is only every ridden when my GF is at oxy (so its pretty tame riding as we are normally only sectioning the road track)
i broke the lower link on sunday, after contacting Bike addiction they informed me there a 4 week wait for a replacement
& as im not the original owner it would cost about $200 with bearing.
Now my biggest concern is the sx i throw off anything & now im just waiting for that to let go.
With 4 weeks wait thats plenty of time to contemplate selling them all & buying a different brand, its crazy they dont have these items in stock.
has anyone heard of the sx reigns braking??
please advise coz if i have to pay i mite as well buy the sx link (if its stronger)
thanks Guyz

ChopSticks

Banned
the x1 is only every ridden when my GF is at oxy (so its pretty tame riding as we are normally only sectioning the road track)
i broke the lower link on sunday, after contacting Bike addiction they informed me there a 4 week wait for a replacement
Now my biggest concern is the sx i throw off anything & now im just waiting for that to let go.
With 4 weeks wait thats plenty of time to contemplate selling them all & buying a different brand, its crazy they dont have these items in stock.
please advise coz if i have to pay i mite as well buy the sx link (if its stronger)
thanks Guyz
Call up the guys at McCyclery
They are giant dealers and should have something in stock

Good luck

Shoryuken

Likes Dirt
thanks Guyz
Four weeks wait is ages.
I had mine within a week (Sydney)
As far as i know the X's all have the link of a given year. Maybe different generations (1-3). But the X1 and SX etc will have then same.
I have a 2010 X1, i broke my link either DJing or XCing one morning. Alot of people seem to break it under torque with climbing hard or XCing fyi.
Check out my posts in this thread on MTBR. From post number #363 onwards.
http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/official-i-broke-my-lower-link-my-2010-reign-x-thread-617291-15.html
Ive never had a problem since. Its a different link from the stock. Think its a Reign 0-2 anywhere in between a 2009- 2012 link (from info on that thread)
There is no spacing for the chain guide tab. Which i had a solution.
I go in alot of detail about my link over a few posts and its seemed to help alot of ppl :D

PM me if you want some more info on my link ;)
GL

Last edited:

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why don't Giant recall these shit links?

Two guys I ride with who both have 2010 ReignX 0's and have both broken their links recently

They mainly ride Lysterfield, so not too rough out there

Think its about time that Giant did a recall and replaced the links with the new upgraded version