2010 Sunshine Series

Aussie Josh

Cannon Fodder
That sux hairy balls.

Clubs probably need to write that into their member benifits that if you volunteer at an event that you get a discount off or free entry to that or another club event.

Club members should not be able to ride if you can't fill the spots required to run THEIR OWN EVENT and load up the cost of a day licence (and price for club members who can't/won't/don't help) to cover incentives for volunteers such as the discounting, lunches etc.

Our club is moving towards cost neutral membership for all members and volunteer hours (trailcare or event volunteers) is one thing we are going to look at with renewing members to make this work.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Please correct me if i am wrong, but i heard from a reliable person that a sunshine coast club has previously banked well over 10000 dollars profit from a championship round in the past, if this is a true representation of how much clubs make per race, then why couldn't a few labour hire people be recruited or even some back packers from the local hostel?
If i am wrong, then how much does it cost in total to hold an event? ive always been curious.

Cheers

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Please correct me if i am wrong, but i heard from a reliable person that a sunshine coast club has previously banked well over 10000 dollars profit from a championship round in the past, if this is a true representation of how much clubs make per race, then why couldn't a few labour hire people be recruited or even some back packers from the local hostel?
If i am wrong, then how much does it cost in total to hold an event? ive always been curious.

Cheers
This is not a true representation.

Entry fees are based on the likely amount of entrants & costs (from historical & current data) - so that any one club does not make a loss in the running of their round.

Even doing this - some clubs run rounds at a loss - especially when there are postponements and cancellation fees to pay (to hire car companies, dunny companies, timing... etc.. if applicable), and the re-running of the round never gets the target number of entrants.

If a club/round does make a profit - it is purely incidental and due to good planning & advertising, volunteers and luck (i.e. weather gods)... The profit would be on the club's books - and goes straight back into the sport...

As for total cost to run a round - it varies too much round-to-round, club-to-club and year-to-year; posting a figure can be easily misinterpretted.

As for labour hire companies - yes that is a possibility - but up to individual clubs to engage if they cannot get volunteers and if they see it being viable. If number of entrants were more reliable, than this could be more likely, that is one of the reasons why the DH side of the series is now online entry only.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That sux hairy balls.

Clubs probably need to write that into their member benifits that if you volunteer at an event that you get a discount off or free entry to that or another club event.

Club members should not be able to ride if you can't fill the spots required to run THEIR OWN EVENT and load up the cost of a day licence (and price for club members who can't/won't/don't help) to cover incentives for volunteers such as the discounting, lunches etc.

Our club is moving towards cost neutral membership for all members and volunteer hours (trailcare or event volunteers) is one thing we are going to look at with renewing members to make this work.

An even better idea make it part of the conditions of signing up to a club you must do 1 maybe 2 days where you marsharel.

ollieo

Likes Dirt
Parents

It's hard when your home track is as sweet as kenilworth.....imagine never getting to race it , just watching everyone else having a blast...
Have put my hand up for the next race to help.........aaahhhhhh!!
I also want to ask all you kids out there....how about roping in your parents to help...put the hard word on them...most of the groms seem to turn up with mum or dad or both , to watch
Shuttle drivers, marshalls, you still get to see the race and get to be an active part of the day rather than snooze in that deck chair under the trees....
Come on give up a day mowing the lawn for one in the sun helping the club to organises a day for your'e kid.
If you can spare a sunday or both day's get in touch with Jeremy at Venture cycles in Noosaville

spongebob

Likes Dirt
For our club to run a DH takes 20+ workers on the day, 4 - 6 hire vehicles which have to be picked up day before & dropped off day after, and a whole heap of things that start days before & don't end until days after. To hire all these workers would make it impossibly expensive. It is a very complex & labour [ volunteer] intensive undertaking. Volunteer-ism is gradually disappearing & we have had to start paying SES workers to ensure numbers. We have had to start paying people to do the timing for our XC races. Prices for riders are just going to go up & up.

santacruzkid

Likes Dirt
It's hard when your home track is as sweet as kenilworth.....imagine never getting to race it , just watching everyone else having a blast...
Have put my hand up for the next race to help.........aaahhhhhh!!
I also want to ask all you kids out there....how about roping in your parents to help...put the hard word on them...most of the groms seem to turn up with mum or dad or both , to watch
Shuttle drivers, marshalls, you still get to see the race and get to be an active part of the day rather than snooze in that deck chair under the trees....
Come on give up a day mowing the lawn for one in the sun helping the club to organises a day for your'e kid.
If you can spare a sunday or both day's get in touch with Jeremy at Venture cycles in Noosaville
If your able to get kids parents to help out. please we need your assistance... We have tried this up in Townsville but yet its still the same 4 guys setting up at 6am and don't get to leave the hill untill 7:30pm each race.

And yes its hard to run a race and race elite your self. So much harder while the rest of the DH guys get to sit and have somethign to eat and chillout the organisers are runing around making sure shuttles are running smoothly, the start times are gettign to the top and the timers know how is leaving at what time. Not to mention trying to get guys to load their bikes on the shuttles so racing can start.

My two cents.
Leo.

scorpio1

Likes Bikes
Sunshine Series Rd 3

For our club to run a DH takes 20+ workers on the day, 4 - 6 hire vehicles which have to be picked up day before & dropped off day after, and a whole heap of things that start days before & don't end until days after. To hire all these workers would make it impossibly expensive. It is a very complex & labour [ volunteer] intensive undertaking. Volunteer-ism is gradually disappearing & we have had to start paying SES workers to ensure numbers. We have had to start paying people to do the timing for our XC races. Prices for riders are just going to go up & up.
Yes it does take alot of people to hold a good race day, and to be honest getting people to help on the day isn't the biggest problem faced. It's all the organizing that needs to happen before and after the fact, It's always one, two,three or if a club is lucky five or six people that are willing to give up time before the event to find and get all the hire vehicles, shuttle trailers, BBqs, tents,toilets, bunting, ect. organized and out to the venue- I have once had to make three 1.5hr round trips just to get all the trailers out to the track because no one else could be bothered. Then after the race is run and won everyone just disapears home to their hot showers except for you guessed it the same folk that already given up their time prior. After a race their is at least another days work in cleaning up the venue and returning all the hired/borrowed equipment. Plain English- for a two day event it takes lets say four - six people two days prior and one day post race for it all to happen, not to mention all the time spent on the phone chasing all this stuff up.
It's a cop out to say "I didn't realise you needed a hand" or "I didn't know who to call to offer help" Everyone seens to be able to scour the net to find out about when races races are on and all sorts of other stuff to do with riding so if you realy gave a shit yoyu would be able to find someone to ask.
As for all the young riders, ask if your parents can give a hand, not just drop you off at the gate.
This is a spray at ALL CLUBS because it is mostley the same everywhere, If you don't help your club out I can see one of two things happening 1- There will be no Sunshine Series. 2- It being taken over by Private Promoters who pay people to do all this which will push up the price of racing.
As it allways has been IT'S IN YOUR HANDS PEOPLE

harveyp

Likes Dirt
Yes it does take alot of people to hold a good race day, and to be honest getting people to help on the day isn't the biggest problem faced. It's all the organizing that needs to happen before and after the fact, It's always one, two,three or if a club is lucky five or six people that are willing to give up time before the event to find and get all the hire vehicles, shuttle trailers, BBqs, tents,toilets, bunting, ect. organized and out to the venue- I have once had to make three 1.5hr round trips just to get all the trailers out to the track because no one else could be bothered. Then after the race is run and won everyone just disapears home to their hot showers except for you guessed it the same folk that already given up their time prior. After a race their is at least another days work in cleaning up the venue and returning all the hired/borrowed equipment. Plain English- for a two day event it takes lets say four - six people two days prior and one day post race for it all to happen, not to mention all the time spent on the phone chasing all this stuff up.
It's a cop out to say "I didn't realise you needed a hand" or "I didn't know who to call to offer help" Everyone seens to be able to scour the net to find out about when races races are on and all sorts of other stuff to do with riding so if you realy gave a shit yoyu would be able to find someone to ask.
As for all the young riders, ask if your parents can give a hand, not just drop you off at the gate.
This is a spray at ALL CLUBS because it is mostley the same everywhere, If you don't help your club out I can see one of two things happening 1- There will be no Sunshine Series. 2- It being taken over by Private Promoters who pay people to do all this which will push up the price of racing.
As it allways has been IT'S IN YOUR HANDS PEOPLE
Hear, hear!! These comments are spot on with the last sentence being most appropriate - Riders, it is in your hands to help your Club host these events because the same 'old grey hairs' (me included) are fast becoming sick of doing all the organising and the physical work to make events such as this happen!! After all, at the end of the day it is all about you - the riders!!

spanky

Likes Bikes
this does suck, how about not offering any prize money, to the winners...
do something similar to the canberrra series...$10 entry, no cash prizes but nobody cares if you only enter for $10... also the series has like 8 races, if you help out at a race you get equiverlant points to getting second......

Stinky

Likes Dirt
this does suck, how about not offering any prize money, to the winners...
do something similar to the canberrra series...$10 entry, no cash prizes but nobody cares if you only enter for $10... also the series has like 8 races, if you help out at a race you get equiverlant points to getting second......
Prizes are not the real issue here, in most cases the races are well supported by local shops for prizes / vouchers. You still need the hands to prepare the track, manage rego, plan and manage shuttles etc etc etc..

I think that we need to look to the communities that the races are held in to source volunteers. We need to get them to take ownership of races and realise the benefits to the often small communities, that an extra 200 people coming through town can bring. This may mean that a club makes a cash donation to the local rotary / bush fire brigade etc in return for providing vollies, but it does mean that the load on club members is reduced.

How do we get that local buy in from communities. I see this as something that MTBA can / should be able to help us with, as I do not see where my membership $$ go at the moment. Haydo does a great job as Qld rep, but again this is a volunteer position. I would like to see the governing body provide more support to local racing.

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just a quick question, i went on MTBA this arvo to check if the rego has been put up for the toowoomba round, there is nothing at all in the MTBA calander for toowoomba, but there is for kenilworth the round after?

anyone shed some light on this? i have tried emailing MTBA many time before to never get a reply once, so i thought here would be a start.

sherman

Likes Dirt
just a quick question, i went on MTBA this arvo to check if the rego has been put up for the toowoomba round, there is nothing at all in the MTBA calander for toowoomba, but there is for kenilworth the round after?

anyone shed some light on this? i have tried emailing MTBA many time before to never get a reply once, so i thought here would be a start.
It should be up by tomorrow afternoon. MTBA must have some type of glitch as it wont let me add the event and I have tried to get in contact with them over the last couple of days.

But like I said it should be up tomorrow.

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fantastic, just wanted to to be sure as i saw the event in the calander previously and some type of glitch had occured.

eyes

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Online Entry for Round 4 is now up and running. This is DHI Round 4 - Toowoombaahhah

https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?E=357

The event is pre-entry only so make sure you register before the closing date.
Bam!

Hey everyone, registration for round 5 of the 2010 Sunshine Series is up. And this is DHI Round 5 - Kenilworth!

https://www.registernow.com.au/mtba/ERegister.aspx?S=&E=333

See you there
BAM!

Good work guys... Just clarified the discipline and location so that people don't ask...

Last edited: