2011 census

Just as an aside though, if you can't be born into a religion, does that mean you can't be born Australian?
That's a specious argument. To believe in something with no evidence to support it is a choice, to be born in Australia is not a choice.

As for the separation of church and state, that occurred many centuries ago. The church and its followers just won't accept this. Unfortunately, our political parties are affected by the church for funding and in attempting to prevent gay marriage, abortion etc.

Blotto

Likes Dirt
As a person who uses the census data to help local government plan for stuff (technical term, that) it is really important that you take the census seriously.

The reason why it happens on a Tuesday is that it is supposed to be a typical day in your life (and the lives of all Australians). Don't do untypical things or mark down silly stuff

If you don't normally ride to work, ethically I can't advocate riding for just that day - it doesn't really help our planning of transport facilities and demand.

For instance if you normally catch a bus, but ride instead you are reducing our determination of demand on buses.

I think only religous groups and sociologist use the religion question data. In a government planning context certain religions are linked with socio-economic advantage/disadvantage. It helps you understand the trends in the changing population of an area, for instance, do you need more adult migrant services?

I know in my council certainly no one cares what entry in the religion question you put down. It is generally used inconjunction with a couple of other census themes to give an understanding of the 'flavour' of an area and almost never by itself.

Please do your census right!
I couldn't agree more. I find it fustrating that people feel the need to be silly and immature with their census answers. What good does that provide other than a few seconds worth of giggling?

As for the separation of church and state, that occurred many centuries ago. The church and its followers just won't accept this. Unfortunately, our political parties are affected by the church for funding and in attempting to prevent gay marriage, abortion etc.
Is there any proof to this statement? I am not trying to call you out, I'm just interested to see if there is backing behind this statement. I know a lot of people who were raised under certain religions, and whether they believe in the "stories" or not, they get caught up with comments like this one and others such as "put no religion in the 2011 census" and simply hop on the band wagon. I also see a lot of the good work that religious organistations do for society outside of politics, so if it helps keeps certain support agencies and organisations alive, I will definitely tick the appropriate box for which religion I believe in, not just follow the trends if I'm a fence sitter. I just thought that was worthwhile pointing out.

I guess I just don't trust people to block out all that they see and hear in todays media/social forums and answer all the questions honestly.

I couldn't agree more. I find it fustrating that people feel the need to be silly and immature with their census answers. What good does that provide other than a few seconds worth of giggling?

Is there any proof to this statement? I am not trying to call you out, I'm just interested to see if there is backing behind this statement. I know a lot of people who were raised under certain religions, and whether they believe in the "stories" or not, they get caught up with comments like this one and others such as "put no religion in the 2011 census" and simply hop on the band wagon. I also see a lot of the good work that religious organistations do for society outside of politics, so if it helps keeps certain support agencies and organisations alive, I will definitely tick the appropriate box for which religion I believe in, not just follow the trends if I'm a fence sitter. I just thought that was worthwhile pointing out.

I guess I just don't trust people to block out all that they see and hear in todays media/social forums and answer all the questions honestly.
Look at anything released by the ACL (Australian Christian Lobby) or Access (the organisation that administers 97% of public school religious instruction) for the proof. There is no credible doubt that these organisations influence politics on both sides toward their narrow view of the world.

Look at the Prime Ministers refusal to consider gay marriage, or Fred Nile holding the NSW government to ransom in a bid to drop ethics classes in schools as an alternative to a narrow christian classes (BTW I would have little argument with comparative religion studies in school ie. all religions or none at all)

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look at anything released by the ACL (Australian Christian Lobby) or Access (the organisation that administers 97% of public school religious instruction) for the proof. There is no credible doubt that these organisations influence politics on both sides toward their narrow view of the world.

Look at the Prime Ministers refusal to consider gay marriage, or Fred Nile holding the NSW government to ransom in a bid to drop ethics classes in schools as an alternative to a narrow christian classes (BTW I would have little argument with comparative religion studies in school ie. all religions or none at all)
All any lobby group/special interest group does is try to influence politics towards their narrow view of the world. Look at all the trail activists on this site - they are pushing their 'narrow view of the world' onto local governments and councils. It is not the job of these groups to present a balanced world view, rather to represent their members (official or unofficial).

Besides, many of the 'anti-religion/anti christian' activists are just trying to influence politics on both sides towards their narrow view of the world. The thing that makes them frustrated is that they aren't currently as influential as the christian representatives.

I will be the most boring person tomorrow night, answering the census factually without any particular agenda.

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
All any lobby group/special interest group does is try to influence politics towards their narrow view of the world. Look at all the trail activists on this site - they are pushing their 'narrow view of the world' onto local governments and councils. It is not the job of these groups to present a balanced world view, rather to represent their members (official or unofficial).

Besides, many of the 'anti-religion/anti christian' activists are just trying to influence politics on both sides towards their narrow view of the world. The thing that makes them frustrated is that they aren't currently as influential as the christian representatives.

I will be the most boring person tomorrow night, answering the census factually without any particular agenda.
Very well put mate.

On the contrary, the anti-religion brigade are all for opening the mind to the wonders of the universe without having to think there are fairies as well (with a nod to Douglas Adams)

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
JCL, you'd do your argument more good if you shut up. It's like hearing the church talk about science in the middle ages. Get it through your head, the census is about facts, not about politics. Just answer the questions and take your fervent, anti-religious attitude where it belongs and that's not here. Close the door on the way out :rapture:

J@se

Breezeway Bandit
On the contrary, the anti-religion brigade are all for opening the mind to the wonders of the universe without having to think there are fairies as well (with a nod to Douglas Adams)
Zealots come in all shapes, sizes and (lack of) beliefs it appears. Wheres the eye rolling smiley gone?

JCL, you'd do your argument more good if you shut up. It's like hearing the church talk about science in the middle ages. Get it through your head, the census is about facts, not about politics. Just answer the questions and take your fervent, anti-religious attitude where it belongs and that's not here. Close the door on the way out :rapture:

Thanks, you've made my argument for me.

Anyway, I like bikes and riding; you presumably all do too. There's where we meet, and fun it will be.

Last edited:

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What repercussions are there if I refuse to participate in the Census and fail to submit paperwork? Is there a fine and if so how much?. My girlfriend will want to participate, but I do not. I do not really see the point.

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
What repercussions are there if I refuse to participate in the Census and fail to submit paperwork? Is there a fine and if so how much?. My girlfriend will want to participate, but I do not. I do not really see the point.
Out of curiosity, why do you think there's no point?

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suspect the data that is collected will be subjected to statistical analysis and the results manipulated to support whatever political motive exists at the time. No different to what political parties engage in at present, only soon they will have 'the latest Census Data revealed' to insert into their spruiking. If the Census contains a question re: Should Australia Sever Ties With The Mother Country or Should Australia Begin Actively Shunning The Queen, Prince Philip and The Rest of The Incestuous Royal Family then I would participate.

That or despite my best efforts I have simply been bombarded with so much Political Nonsense of late that I have become an apathetic weasel.

Surely there is an apathetic weasel smiley available

Last edited:

{ScarFace}

Likes Dirt
I suspect the data that is collected will be subjected to statistical analysis and the results manipulated to support whatever political motive exists at the time. No different to what political parties engage in at present, only soon they will have 'the latest Census Data revealed' to insert into their spruiking. If the Census contains a question re: Should Australia Sever Ties With The Mother Country or Should Australia Begin Actively Shunning The Queen, Prince Philip and The Rest of The Incestuous Royal Family then I would participate.

That or despite my best efforts I have simply been bombarded with so much Political Nonsense of late that I have become an apathetic weasel.

Surely there is an apathetic weasel smiley available
Fair enough, mate. Just curious.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Hell no! There is a point!

This is a great and rich data source to help people plan and understand the nature of how we live. The census, while having some drawbacks, is gold! Pure gold.

As it is a public data source, yes people could use it for nefarious purposes. But mostly it is used by boring people, like me, who work in a government department (mapping is my game).

Often I lament my higher ups as they don't use the full power of the information at hand - there are many dimensions to the census and it is hard to quickly get across (managers often want a simple/quick answer, but life is complex)

For instance say you have $1 mill to spend on a facility. Do you put in a child care, aged care, sports ground or other type of facility? Thats what we use it for.

Where are the jobs? What type of jobs? Do you have a section of working poor? How is the household composition changing? Do you need more single parent services? How do people get to their jobs. How fast is an area growing? Is it sustainable?

The religion question is usually treated at a poles length anyway - too many people wont report correctly, if at all (Muslims and Jews are well known to under report for various reasons).

The resulting stats you get back are statistcally manipluated with a slight error factor built in. A census block generally equals around 200 households. It would be easy to find (and target) the household with the most income if they did not. Or to persecute the only Muslim/Jewish/Jedi household in the block.

It is illegal not to do your census, but like voting, it is difficult to pin down. Regard it as your civil duty - you are giving something priceless to help others help you

Kramer

FoBR
The Census is enforceable by law. If you fail to respond to the Census, in the first instance you will be issued with a directive to respond. If you continue to refuse to respond, then you can be slugged with a fine of $110 per day until you respond.

So probably best you answer...

Kramer

FoBR
Hope everyone rode to work today.
I braved the frosty morning here in Canberra, just so I could honestly answer that I rode to work today :-D

TKITEZ

Likes Bikes
usually i would have a laugh and fill in silly answers, but i like to think the census may help in the future, i will be answering honestly and also putting catholic as my religion. :02.47-tranquillity: