2011 Demo8 or 2011 lapierre DH team?

Chuck401

Likes Bikes
hay looking at getting a new bike for 2011 and am fixed on these two bikes but not sure witch one to get for racing DH or if to get some thing different.

cheers

adman

Likes Dirt
If you're a witch.. I heard broomsticks work wonders. :p

But if you're unsure which to get... well that depends!

Firstly - I don't think you can get the Lapierre into Australia, unless you know a friend who can import them in. They look like an amazing bike, and if you're looking for the bling factor, then i wouldn't look any further.

However, the Demo has been proved and tested to do well in all manner of conditions, and so you'd be safely set with one of those as well.

Do you have prices on each? Or is that not an issue?

Do you have a preference over suspension designs?

They're both fantastic choices... maybe just flip a coin?! ;)

cj.

Likes Dirt
Why not get a 2011 glory 01?

Runs a solid spec and is 1.5 kilos lighter than last years model and I would guess it's about half the cost of either of the Lapierre or the Specialized...Plus they look absolutely bitching.

I sold my DH bike about a year ago due to money but as soon as I'm back in the market I will be having a solid look at Giants 2011/12 range.

I think there is too much emphasis on street cred about peoples bikes these days, just get something that is reliable and good value for money.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought about getting something else? Theres plenty of bikes out in that price range that are really good race bikes also.

Bikes like Trek sessions, yeti 303/r's, commencal's, solid mission.

Might be worth trying to test some bikes out if you can, to give you an idea of how they handle

driftking

Wheel size expert
Why not get a 2011 glory 01?

Runs a solid spec and is 1.5 kilos lighter than last years model and I would guess it's about half the cost of either of the Lapierre or the Specialized...Plus they look absolutely bitching.

I sold my DH bike about a year ago due to money but as soon as I'm back in the market I will be having a solid look at Giants 2011/12 range.

I think there is too much emphasis on street cred about peoples bikes these days, just get something that is reliable and good value for money.
this was brough up in a thread recently, I dont beleive the new one is 1.5 lighter. the frames are identicle and the only way to drop the weight will be through componentry and i doubt they have dropped that much weight and kept the price low.
there was a video posted in the thread and if you listen they say its lighter then the previous design which is the older 08/09 design which they did indeed drop 1.5kg.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?214562-Giant-Glory-2011-weights/page3

As for this thread both good bikes, you should look into getting the bike into Aus as this not only might be a hassel but will cost you some cash. personally Id go with which suspension design you prefer, i would assume after currency converting and shipping cost the specialized will work out alot cheaper.

Last edited:

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
how much is the demo 8 that your looking at because i've found one for 5,000
How did you manage that? I wasn't aware they were even in Australia yet...Let alone for anthing less than around $6999. Feel free to correct me, just saying though.

driftking

Wheel size expert
How did you manage that? I wasn't aware they were even in Australia yet...Let alone for anthing less than around $6999. Feel free to correct me, just saying though.
the demo I ones are shown as $4999 on the specialized website.
demo II are the $7799.
I remember hearing about specialized now been set up in Aus has this started yet if so you would expect to get a demo I for the RRP of $4999.. good news for all of us, mabey they will become the new glory and every 2nd person you see will have one.

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
the demo I ones are shown as $4999 on the specialized website.
demo II are the $7799.
I remember hearing about specialized now been set up in Aus has this started yet if so you would expect to get a demo I for the RRP of $4999.. good news for all of us, mabey they will become the new glory and every 2nd person you see will have one.
Yeah I've heard about Specialized doing direct dealings into Australia so that should hopefully help prices. That sounds about right for the Demo I, but I was assuming you were referring to the Demo II which sounded a little ridiculous. All's good then.