2011 Dirt Works 100km NSW - Entries open tomorrow.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
An excellent ride

I'm a bit of a DW tragic, having done each one (that makes it 7 I think). I remember the first year's hike-a-bike ascent through a still smoking controlled burn. That wasn't fun. Subsequent years have seen big improvements. For instance, I think in 2006 or 2007 I managed a brakeless descent down the end of Jacks Track by surfing through the thick soft sand. That sand is the dominant surface feature, and the more moisture the better, so this year's track was really fast. Mud? You obviously didn't do this year's Otway Odyssey. I've had muddier commutes. Those 300-odd people who didn't front for the start need to harden up. As always, the pontoon bridge is a real bonus if you can nail it (otherwise you're in danger of appearing on Australia's Funniest Video). No real gripes about the organisation except that the commentary is a bit inane.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
Well done Cha_Cha on a solid SS win, a faster time then last year by the looks of it.
thanks jeebus. and also thanks for not coming up to st albans for the weekend and defending your title :D yeah, i shaved a few minutes off last year and managed to sneak in under 5hrs to keep the SS category respectable.

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
.. No real gripes about the organisation except that the commentary is a bit inane.
Each to their own..

But i think Crafty (Paul Craft)? - is a Sydney bike racing legend. .. commentary on Road (Crit racing at Heffron) MTB or Track is awesome.. I think he might even run the RAW Track events at Dunc Gray in Winter..

Big UPs for Crafty here..

HillBilly

Likes Bikes
Thanks to a screw through my rear tyre (god knows where it came from???) at the 42km mark and then a stupid error on my part in only carrying one air canister despite riding a 29er so couldn't get enough air into the tube (which promptly pinch flatted at 45 kms) I had a nice 5km walk to the 50km transition.

Hugh from CBD put up with my wingeing and moaning and generally feeling sorry for myself attitude while he sorted out my bike (thanks mate), lubed it up and sent me on my way. Planned to pull the pin at the bottom of Sheppards and ride the road home but couldn't resist the goodness that the trail ahead offered! Had fun despite the disappointment.

Thanks to the hundreds of offers of assistance while i was walking but I didn't want to ruin any one else's ride time thanks to my bad luck (and bad management) - and frankly, I wasn't in the mood....

As always, a great day on the bike - and in my case an extra hour and a half of walking and sitting around - well done Max Adventure! You guys do a great job - pity about some of the locals that don't seem to want to capitalize on your efforts (what's with the pub situation??????)

See you next year!

HillBilly

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Reports

Threw a few words together, finally ...

After considering the possible conditions we were about to face I set three goals with the first one being, finish the race. It sounds simple but the circumstances under which I had to complete my first goal included riding all the climbs, bar the couple of technical rocky setups between the 50km mark and the main decent to the canoe bridge. First of all and one of the most daunting obstacles is the initial climb up onto the escarpment. I remember speaking with a 50km rider last year as he was about to complete his first 50km Classic after two attempts, his first attempt finished at that initial climb and he rode back to St Albans along the road. But it is a major challenge, riders all around me peeled of to the sides, pushing their bikes up the hill in front of them, this was the first wave after the Elites. I can only imagine the torture it would have been for the back end of the 50kers as the hill was torn apart by studded MTB shoes. I reached the summit, elated and already exhausted, I rode the first climb, then I pushed the thoughts of the remainder from my mind.

For a full report and more events check out Enduro Pulse or here.

cooken

Likes Dirt
For a full report and more events check out Enduro Pulse or here.
Nice write up. Pretty sure I was riding right behind you for a while until a few km's after the first feed station when I broke my rear derailleur cage (stupid xtr carbon cage). Managed to limp along single speeding to the 50km mark where the CBD boys sorted me out with a new derailleur.

A bit gutted about the mechanical as I probably would have made it sub 5hrs, but it was a fun day out on the track anyway and a great event once again.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a fantastic day.

Started in the first wave and got swamped at the start. Steadily passed people all the way to the first climb. Rode through the crowd. Cheers to the blokes for the encouragement, esp. those who were calling for the walkers to get out of the way. Probably my only dissappointment of the whole day were a few guys who cbf moving as I was coming through. Hard enough to ride the hill as it is without having to ride around people as well.

Next bit was fairly uneventful. Caught a few more guys but spent a lot of it riding alone.

Turned onto the OGNR and a smallish group formed. Stuck with this group the whole way and rode pretty conservatively. I am not the most tech rider so decided going 100% was not worth the risk of a crash related DNF. Maybe Rambler was part of this group because we finished pretty close and one guy was having a bit of a swear about some bike issues.

Pulled into Ten Mile Hollow to get some fluids. Caught a few more guys on the hill inc. another A29X rider and we joked about the A29X category. Rode the next section of OGNR pretty conservatively until it flattened out and I was able to push on. Similarly took it easy down Shepherds Gully. Push hard again on the road section then my greatest fear the kayak bridge appeared.

At this point I choked badly and binned it off the bridge. Wobbled, stopped, foot went down but there was only one place I was going. Watched everyone else ride it whilst I was up to my neck wading across. So I can ride 25km on a wheel track up and down rocks but can't do 100m on something 3x as wide, flat and level. Go figure? Got a wrist band anyway for having a go.

Caught a guy on the other side and we shared the work on the road but I got away on the climb. This whole section I was still feeling good so kept pushing on, catching guys at regular intervals. Quite odd in parts as there was no one else visible in either direction. Could have been your average sunday ride.

Still feeling good so pushed hard on the road sections and grabbed a couple more places. Wife only realised I'd crossed the line as they announced me.

Ended up with 5:02 and preliminary show 51st overall. Still coming to grips with this result as it's far better than I was expecting. Only my second race and I regard myself as a pretty inexperienced rider so I'm absolutely stoked with this result.

Got to find my next challenge now - was really keen for the AD but unfortunately it's a goner this year. Will do the Fling again but keen to slot one or two events in beforehand.

Also have to recognise the guys who were still plugging away at it when everything was all packed up and everyone was rolling out of town. That is one hell long day in the saddle.
Were you in a black 2XU kit that was remarkably clean :p (thanks to your little swim)

I was in a Turramurra Jersey on a Carbon Anthem 26" and judging by your report I was probably the guy you worked with on the tarmac... if so, you have been unduely kind to me as I think you were probably working 2:1 for me.

As you shot away from me on the climb I was feeling sorry for myself for backing up from Solo 24 Nats last week.

In any case, those who get times of 5:02 dont get to claim "inexperianced rider status" maybe you've been sleep riding to pack in some training so secret that not even you know about it!

Congrats on the result.

-Andrew / owner of an awesome hat (Paul Cole has no taste:p)

drasnian

Likes Dirt
I'm interested to know who the bullet was that came by me at about the 45km mark or just before, through some of that nice green almost rainforest section. I went in the first wave but felt very weak and took 2:19 to reach Ten Mile Hollow.

A few km earlier I'd been caught by the lead riders of the 2nd wave who started 2min30 back. After I heard them behind me and turned to see a few riders about 50m back, it was about 15minutes before they were ready to pass, as we were pretty much riding at the same pace. Then a few minutes later, this dude calls track from a long way behind. I'm thinkin "Yeah fair enough mate, I'll let you by when you get here. Bit toey are we?" But I decided to move over as soon as he came up, as he was super keen to stay at full tilt. It was then that I realised why he yelled out to give so much warning. Before Sunday, the only time I'd been passed like I was standing still was by Josh Carlson on a single lap dash while he was riding teams and I was going solo. But whoever this guy was, he must either have flatted while at the front of the race and was now on a super mission, or else he started in the 3rd wave for some reason and was going absolutely balls out. He was literally riding at about 30-35km/h on a false flat gradient, through twisty double track while negotiating a fair amount of everyday trail litter (not techy rock garden material at all, but there was stuff going on). I swear that less than 30 seconds later he'd put a full 10 seconds into me. I really doubt that even the front 4hr boys manage that tempo for 100k. We've all been lapped by JE or Gordo in an 8hr enduro or whatever. And they move along, sure. But I can hang on to them for a couple of minutes without blowing up before sensibly turning it back down again. This pace however was simply ridiculous, and it seemed almost staged to have this guy rip through the forest about 10-15 minutes behind the front of the race.

He would've reached the 50k mark at about the low 9:20s am, but noone in the results sheet who went through at about that time of the morning rode a fast 100k time.

Curious.

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Well I've added 'doing Dirtworks with a broken shoulder' to my list of things not to do again...

But once I worked out that I wasn't going to get a great result and just settled in for a training ride I actually had probably one of the more enjoyable rides for a long time. Rode 'the bridge' (little foot dab on a kayak but no swim TF)... rode all of the climbs (ok, couple of forced stops due to chain suck).

My bloggage of the event is here

Thinking that next year the 50km could be the (unofficial) Sydney cyclocross cup...

tate6969

Likes Bikes
Could have been Justin Morris who started in the elite group. He rolled a tyre at about 30km so would have lost contact with them, perhaps by around 2m30. (I think he then flatted later aswell).

He came through 10 mile hollows at 09:19:53 and did a time oh 4h39m. After he rolled a tyre he would have been keen on making up some time.

drasnian

Likes Dirt
Could have been Justin Morris who started in the elite group. He rolled a tyre at about 30km so would have lost contact with them, perhaps by around 2m30. (I think he then flatted later aswell).

He came through 10 mile hollows at 09:19:53 and did a time oh 4h39m. After he rolled a tyre he would have been keen on making up some time.
Yeah that could well have been him. That would mean he put a whole 6 minutes into me from where he passed me to halfway (something like 45-50 seconds per kilometre !!) and then 'only' another 4 minutes in the last 50k. I guess after halfway, he either gave the hunt away, had more mechanicals, or was simply shagged from mustering earlier on.

I noticed on the video that Justin Morris was one of the dudes interviewed before the race. As it happens, I'm the guy who infamously ate kayak in the orange jersey. Being the 4th rider on the bridge at the one time, I found it was lurching left and right way more than I could cater for and went over within 5-10m of leaving the bank!

Baabaa

Squid
Thinking that next year the 50km could be the (unofficial) Sydney cyclocross cup...

Good call. Is a year enough time to plan?
I did the 50k on a drop bar ss el mariachi (my monster cross). Could be tempted to do next year on the ss on-one pomp but not that keen to bend the la cruz on the hills, so will keep it in the shed.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Were you in a black 2XU kit that was remarkably clean :p (thanks to your little swim)

I was in a Turramurra Jersey on a Carbon Anthem 26" and judging by your report I was probably the guy you worked with on the tarmac... if so, you have been unduely kind to me as I think you were probably working 2:1 for me.

As you shot away from me on the climb I was feeling sorry for myself for backing up from Solo 24 Nats last week.

In any case, those who get times of 5:02 dont get to claim "inexperianced rider status" maybe you've been sleep riding to pack in some training so secret that not even you know about it!

Congrats on the result.

-Andrew / owner of an awesome hat (Paul Cole has no taste:p)
hah, yes, that was me. I was the cleanest bloke at the finish.

Lorday

Eats Squid
1st dw. 1st 100km. Only one gear (normal). Heap of fun.

Snapped 2 chains, slashed my tubeless tyre, rode the bridge (without hands towards the end), climbed pretty much everything, had one of the best runs downs shepards gully that i've every had (which due to less then 20psi in the rear tyre at the time meant I've probably fucked my less then a month old wheelset), and finished with another single speeder. Awesome.

I'll be back next year to see if I can get a proper time down.

Cyclenation short video

Just incase you're interested there's a short video of the event here http://vimeo.com/23194777
Had to miss out this year due to work commitments :( but will be back again next year (work permitting). Only ever ridden it in the dry so the wet trail conditions would've been a challenge. Hope all those that went down are recovering well.

tate6969

Likes Bikes
As it happens, I'm the guy who infamously ate kayak in the orange jersey. Being the 4th rider on the bridge at the one time, I found it was lurching left and right way more than I could cater for and went over within 5-10m of leaving the bank!
As it happens, I'm the guy wearing yellow and black who crashed into a canoe up ahead of you which probably rocked the bridge more than you were expecting!

I'm also the same guy who you rode past just after 10mile hollow and I said I was going ok but trying to keep cramps away...

I'm also the same guy who sucked your wheel the whole way to womerah range (as I had only just come off a cramping frenzy) and that you dropped on the first hill, only for me to charge past near the top some 10km later.

I think our conversation went something like this:
You: "You came good didn't you?"
Me: "Yeah the electrolytes have kicked in!"

I caught and dropped five others in that 12km smashfest.