2011 Giant Anthem Advanced SL 1?

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Hi All,
Just after an opinion. After my bike falling off the top of a friends car on the weekend (yes at speed... and yes more damage to the car from the rotor hitting the roof! ...only resulting in a bent skewer and a mildly bent rotor) im fast tracking my purchase of a dually. Just a bit of a background of me: Im getting started in the Enduro series...initially in a team, but also want it for the XC series. I rode a Reign the other week, and the very upright position gave me considerable knee pain. I currently own a 2009 Giant XTC 1. What im asking, is that after the research i have done ... from Trek (top fuel and EX), Giant Anthem and trance, Craftworks FRX etc.... what would you go for and why?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
From that list I would get the specialized epic expert carbon. It's pretty. Or maybe a tallboy carbon. It has nice curves.

azz58

Squid
Hey,
After much debate on which new bike i was to purchase for xc/enduro events i found myself looking at the Specialized comp carbon, Trek top fuel, Giant anthem advanced or Pivot mach 4. Just as i started looking around AMB issue 114 had a comparison of the Giant, pivot, Specialized and Merida it was this comparison that eventually lead me in the direction of my new Giant anthem advanced sl0.

I could not be happier with the bike as once setup to my liking gives no trouble at all, the bike descends very well and climbs amazing especially on rocky step-ups it just has so much grip. The only one gripe i have with it is the shifters hit the top tube when the bars are turned all the way round, i say go the anthem you will not be disappointed..

Shaman

Likes Dirt
Just as i started looking around AMB issue 114 had a comparison of the Giant, pivot, Specialized and Merida it was this comparison that eventually lead me in the direction of my new Giant anthem advanced sl0.
I certainly dont mean any offence here and I should also qualify by stating that I'm actually going to throw my hat into the ring for considering the Merida (I have a carbon 96 and its just plain awesome), but I sincerely hope that you didn't just take the words of that article as gospel and actually tried at least a few of those bikes in order to form your own opinion.

The first reason I say that is that is that particular article was plain wrong and clearly biased in a number of areas - the weight of the Merida being the most obvious example.

Also however, and something which should always be considered when reading a bike review, is that your individual riding style may be drastically different to that of the reviewer/s which can drastically effect the outcome.
Its probably fair to say that a lot of bikes these days are actually so marginal in their performance that simple things like being more positive about riding because you really like the look of the bike may actually have a more significant impact on your experience.

All that being said, the Giant is by all accounts an excellent bike and I doubt you would be disappointed on it.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I sincerely hope that you didn't just take the words of that article as gospel and actually tried at least a few of those bikes in order to form your own opinion.

The first reason I say that is that is that particular article was plain wrong and clearly biased in a number of areas - the weight of the Merida being the most obvious example.

Also however, and something which should always be considered when reading a bike review, is that your individual riding style may be drastically different to that of the reviewer/s which can drastically effect the outcome.
Its probably fair to say that a lot of bikes these days are actually so marginal in their performance that simple things like being more positive about riding because you really like the look of the bike may actually have a more significant impact on your experience.

All that being said, the Giant is by all accounts an excellent bike and I doubt you would be disappointed on it.
^ +1. Word!

Sorry to go off-topic but I find myself shaking my head at some of the reviews I read these days. When I was a newb, they seemed like gospel to me. Now I take it all with a grain of salt, and just see them as fun reading.

It's hard to buy a bad mid-range bike. Most mainstream brands have their products pretty well sorted.

Cheers, J

quiggs

Likes Dirt
It's hard to buy a bad mid-range bike. Most mainstream brands have their products pretty well sorted.
That is probably the most sensible piece of advice I have seen. For most of us sports enthusiasts we will generally adapt to what we ride, all will make personal changes saddle, grips, handlebars, tyres etc. But for the most part once you make a decision one way or the other you will be happy with your purchase and the thing that holds the bikes performance back will generally be the riders skill, confidence and fitness.

quiggs

FWIW I love my anthem, just wish I could afford to put a thru axle fork on it to stiffen up the front a tad

azz58

Squid
I certainly dont mean any offence here and I should also qualify by stating that I'm actually going to throw my hat into the ring for considering the Merida (I have a carbon 96 and its just plain awesome), but I sincerely hope that you didn't just take the words of that article as gospel and actually tried at least a few of those bikes in order to form your own opinion.

Fair comment im sure the carbon 96 is a great bike too just as they all would be, im saying that after looking at certain bikes for a while its good to read an opinion of someone who isnt trying to sell you anything, instead of a LBS being slightly biased trying to sell you there own product. There are also alot of really positive reviews on the net about the Anthem, i had obviously not just entrusted AMB made the right decision and purchased my bike on the back of their review as it was done with an X1 anyway.

Ultimately there will be differing opinions on all brands of bikes and we could go on about which is best all day, im happy with the Anthem as it DOES suit me which is why i purchased it. Obviously when you outlay your hard earned on your new bike there are many things to consider not just an article from AMB.

Shaman

Likes Dirt
im saying that after looking at certain bikes for a while its good to read an opinion of someone who isnt trying to sell you anything.
Sounds like we are in violent agreement about the personal preference thing and that many factors should be considered.

On the LBS front though, its worth weighing up the service that you are likely to receive from competing stores when looking at bikes as a short term gain (cheaper price) may not be in your long term interests (service, parts etc).

Also, magazines may not be selling you bikes directly, but they are definately trying to sell you more mags which is in the interests of the main advertisers so its worth noting who is ultimately funding their publication. Not saying its always a factor but I would argue that its virtually impossible for them to be totally impartial.

WRT the Giant specifically, I've never heard a bad word about them and it is hard to argue against the value for money although with many of the manufacturers taking distribution on board themselves its hopefully going to get a whole lot more competitive.

Lots of good value bikes out there, stong AUD; all things considered, its a bloody great time to be a buyer.

Once again just personal opinion here, ive always ridden Giant so i was deciding between the Anthem and Trance. Similar bikes on paper, but when out on the trail there is quite a big difference in riding style. I ended up going with the trance (SL 1 carbon). Purely because for what i wanted (not racing), it was perfect. Good geo, good amount of travel, light weight (i think so), excellent at climbing and better for hammering the descents more so than an anthem. And for the price, the components are great. XT group set, tubeless wheels, etc etc

Ride everything you are considering before handing over the cash. And not just around the lbs car park, take it where you want to normally ride it!

hipdos

Likes Bikes
I just bought a Scott Spark 20 and it is great, maybe you should look at Scotts as well. One big benefit of this bike is the suspension control, which happens via a lever on the handlebars. You can go from full suspension to mid range to full lockout with a flick of the switch at your fingertips. It will really help if you are going to be competing as you can lock out for fire trail and climbs, keep in the mid range for a lot of the single track and go to full suspension if it gets bumpy.

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Oh great information! Thanks guys!
whenever i go to a bike store, because i mention enduro, they try to steer me to the Trek EX/Giant Trance. Should i be considering these? but my main requiement is for XC. Will the Anthem/Spark/Merida/cannondale equivalent be too hard/twitchy/etc for an enduro?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh great information! Thanks guys!
whenever i go to a bike store, because i mention enduro, they try to steer me to the Trek EX/Giant Trance. Should i be considering these? but my main requiement is for XC. Will the Anthem/Spark/Merida/cannondale equivalent be too hard/twitchy/etc for an enduro?
I believe a 4" travel dually is fine for both XC & Enduro, a Trance/Trek EX is a better trail bike, and can race as well, your call!

Just to confuse you a it more, have you considered a 29er?

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Well naturally I'm going to say that it's the friggen SHiZZLE... but have you considered the SL0?

Recently Cam Winn got on one of the above, and has been going very hard of late.
Suffice to say that Jess has loved her Anthems ever since we first got on one (and we paid for the first one)... the new Carbon versions are just soooooo stiff... combine that now with the new thru axle and you have and even stiffer version... add to that the new Shimano XTR wheels... and all the new Shimano XTR 10speed goodness, for a package under $7k... well I just don't know how the others will even begin to compete.
But then again, I guess I'm biased.

toby

Likes Dirt
Ride as many of the bikes you are thinking about and then make your choice... often the one you hadn't considered comes out fastest.

Last edited:

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
Well in my family we have 1xanthem Advanced SL, 1 anthem 29er, 1 xtc carbon, and 1 trance X1. Bieng an old bloke I ride the trance and anthem 29er and young bloke the anthem advanced and xtc. Each has their merits but bang for buck the anthem advanced is the bees knees for XC racing. If price is an issue get an alloy version - they're brilliant, but you won't feep special,as in boutique bike but who cares, its about having fun.

craign

Likes Dirt
The SL0's look awesome in the flesh, and the SL1's are pretty decent too. Being in the market for a new 26" bike to complement the hardtail 29er I can't stop drooling over this, even though I know I'd be happy with the alloy X1 and a wheel upgrade...

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I recently picked up an 2011 SL1 - it is a very nice bike - though the alloy lover in me is still scared shitless everytime a pebbles bounces up and hits it

I got a good price on it, and there is no way I could have justified going the SL0 - I dont make that kind of dosh/ it'd be wasted on me anyway

Since you are in the market you'll probably know, whats the weight difference between the SL1 and SL0... I'm interested to know what an extra 2g would have got me weight savings wise

-Andrew

Anthem_Pete

Likes Bikes
Anthem advanced for sure!!

Hey anna85.
I have had a sl1 for about almost 8 months, have riden multiple enduros, one 24hr heaps of clb races and the national series and just out for training rides. I ride very hard and give my bikes a good run and my sl1 has had nothing break on it.

The only thing I've replaced is the fork seals. I have a lght set of TWE wheels and still run everything else stock. Xt dyna-sys is pretty good but I would like to get the new xtr.

In my opinion get the anthem. Cheapest value for money bike.

Cheers

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I recently picked up an 2011 SL1 - it is a very nice bike - though the alloy lover in me is still scared shitless everytime a pebbles bounces up and hits it

I got a good price on it, and there is no way I could have justified going the SL0 - I dont make that kind of dosh/ it'd be wasted on me anyway

Since you are in the market you'll probably know, whats the weight difference between the SL1 and SL0... I'm interested to know what an extra 2g would have got me weight savings wise

-Andrew
Hey Andrew... I've ridden my Giant Trance Carbon "really' hard for the past 12 months in some pretty harsh terrain... and I love the sound of rocks bouncing off the massive carbon downtube! :cool: