XC 2011 Giant Trance X2

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My new ride. Picked it up Friday morning, first ride today in Ulladulla. Dream on wheels

All stock except for pedals from previous bike.
Upgrades in red - 17/1/2011
Frame - 2011 Giant Trance X2 ALUXX SL FluidFormed™ alloy Maestro 5.0” travel
Rear shock - Fox Float RP2 w/XV sleeve & boost valve
Front shock/fork - Fox 32 F125 RL w/15QR axle & tapered steerer, 4.9”/125mm
Handlebars - Giant Connect SL oversize alloy 670mm x 19mm rise
Stem - Pro Koryak 3D Forged Stem
Headset - FSA Tapered
Grips - White Lizard Skin Peatys
Saddle - Fi'zi:k Gobi XM (Giant LTD Edition) w/ Manganese Rails
Seatpost - Giant Connect SL oversize alloy micro-adjust 30.9
Front brake -Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic 7” front
Rear brake - Avid Elixir 5 hydraulic 6” rear
Cranks - Shimano SLX 24x32x42T
Chain - Shimano HG74 10 sp.
Pedals - Shimano M545 SPD
Front derailleur - Shimano SLX 10 sp. 34.9
Rear derailleur - Shimano Deore XT Shadow 10 sp.
Shifters - Shimano SLX rapid fire 30 sp.
Cassette - Shimano HG81 10 sp. 11-36T
Front hub - Giant Tracker 15QR
Rear hub - Shimano M525 10sp disc
Rims -Giant P-XC2 Performance, eyeleted, double wall, alloy, 32H
Spokes - DT Swiss Competition 14/15G butted stainless
Tyres - Kenda Nevegal, Stick-E front, DTC rear, 26 x 2.1”
Total weight - 13kgs measured on bathroom scales.

Last edited:

samjam

Likes Dirt
that is hot.....was looking at the same bike......how about a review of the bike and the ride?????

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Build review:

Flawless in my opinion. The spec suits me perfectly. F-Series FOX 32 forks are very plush and easy to set up. RP2 shock is amazingly smooth and bob free. Wheels are the only "lowend" component and will likely be the first thing to go. Stem is a bit long at 100mm, 80mm would be spot on but will battle on with this for now. My last bike was 15kgs, so naturally the 13 or so kgs of this bike is another BIG plus for me.

Ride review:

OK just got back to Ulladulla after a blast around the MOGO MTB Park, Maulbrooks Rd, 5 kms south of MOGO. Ive never ridden this loop before and have had it on the "must ride" list for ages, so a perfect combo, new track and new rig.
14kms of mixed firetrail and purpose built MTB singletrack, READ: MTB Heaven!!!

Ive NEVER railed berms on any other bike like I did today on the Trance. Smooth and effortless exiting corners and very stable at high speed on the firetrails. This is the bike I should have bought 3 yrs ago, for those that know me, its as simple as that.

Anyone who thinks they have ridden great single track, think again. THIS place is insane and doesnt get enough recognition.

Last edited:

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As mentioned the only stretch is the 100mm stem. The rest feels really comfortable. I rode the medium and felt a bit cramped and "over the front". So I went for the L with the knowledge I could back down the stem size. Ive always preferred a high seat but I am open to suggestions Willsy why I should run it lower.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CRC Santa came past my place today .... upgrade time!!!

80mm stem - Pro Koryak 10deg rise

White Peatys - yeah i know, wont last white for long but hey, I love Peaty, simple.

And one of these to tell me how far ive ridden the bastard.

$mithy

Squid
Sexy Bike mate, I also got myself a 2011 Trance, I haven't owned a bike for years and I agree totally with comments on how well they ride!

Interested to see any upgrades you might do, mine is totally stock at the moment.

Also and this might sound like a stupid question but how do you clean your bike?
Maybe it's just me, but it's a bit of a pain in the ass...

Cheers

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Meticulously after every ride.

Muc-off bike cleaner for the heavy mud days, gentle hose off and chamois dry, then spray lube.

OR Big Wipes from Bunnings.($5.00 gets you 500 wipes soaked in citrus degreaser.)

$mithy

Squid
Meticulously after every ride.

Muc-off bike cleaner for the heavy mud days, gentle hose off and chamois dry, then spray lube.

OR Big Wipes from Bunnings.($5.00 gets you 500 wipes soaked in citrus degreaser.)
Yeah I've been doing the same after every mud soaked ride with an assortment of sponges, cloths and cleaners... I'm definatly going to check out the Bunnings wipes, they sound amazing, are they safe to use on the frame?

slammed

Likes Bikes
That is one hot looking bike!
I am also looking at either a trance, anthem or even scott spark,
What did you pay for this beautiful machine?

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks nice, colour is great to but the best thing in the photo is your old clothes line wish i had one like that lol