2011 MONT 24hr gpx course file

Tazdevil

Likes Bikes
For those with a GPS and wish to find the MONT 24hr course:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/271214

Note that the route was ridden on Australia Day as a CORC social ride. The course is not quite finished yet and some of the last sections were ridden in reverse to finish. I will do my best to update the file as the last sections open.

Ride, ride, ride! It will help bed the track in more quickly! :cool:

Last edited:

JBR

Likes Dirt
what were your thoughts on the course? It certainly will benefit from some decent traffic.

krisko

Likes Dirt
Any chance you can post the Easting/Northings of the gates. Near enough should be good enough.

I was going to write to the land manager requesting ride over cattle crossings or similar.
Would keep alot of riders happy. Ridden the track a few times now but jumping the fences is a pain!

frensham

Likes Dirt
I am reliably told that there is still quite a lot of trail to be built yet and the course will be quite different to that rode today - I know of at least three sections of new trail that weren't ridden today.....

Mont24Team

Likes Bikes
Gates stay closed

Areas of East Kowen are used for sheep agistment. This means the gates remain closed until the race weekend, and probably manned by a course marhsall while they are open. Your cross training (bike lifting) will continue. Please look out for the other users (including farmers and their sheep). If you see an open gate, please shut it.

We're enjoying building trails in East Kowen. It's a lot of work, but we've got a great team and it's great to see so many people testing them out and being appreciative of what has been built so far.

thanks
Ride the Kow.
Al.

Last edited:

rek

Likes Dirt
Speaking of cross training, how technical is the track - is it something that's doable on a cyclocross bike for someone that's not an absolute glutton for punishment?

Currently debating in my head whether or not to do something dumb in April. :)

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Speaking of cross training, how technical is the track - is it something that's doable on a cyclocross bike for someone that's not an absolute glutton for punishment?
At present, I would say yes, if you're a competent cyclocross rider you would be OK (rather you than me!). It is more hilly and I reckon more techo than ye olde Sparrow Hill of yore, but not tech central.

More tracks will exist by the time of the race though which may be more techo (?), and will you still be OK after 23 hours? That's the big question... :confused:

Tazdevil

Likes Bikes
Are you nuts?

At present, I would say yes, if you're a competent cyclocross rider you would be OK (rather you than me!). It is more hilly and I reckon more techo than ye olde Sparrow Hill of yore, but not tech central.

More tracks will exist by the time of the race though which may be more techo (?), and will you still be OK after 23 hours? That's the big question... :confused:
Well, you could ride on a uni-cycle I guess, but it boils down to how comfortable you do not wish to be…. The track is not smooth due to not being ‘run in’ enough. Yes, not technical, or that hilly, but enough bumps to keep your a$$ and arms pumped… :eek:

I assume you have already entered as a team? The event was sold out in 4 days.... And no 23 hours of riding either as there is no solo category…!

Tazdevil

Likes Bikes
Latest version of .gpx file

Last update of the loop out there:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/277815

As others have said this will not necessarily be the exact loop for the 24 hour event, but I am guessing a fair bit of it will be. The loop is pretty well marked out now - follow blue arrows, written instructions enroute and orange flagging (there seems to be pink flagging too but I think these might be for current track works). :cool:

tabmow

Squid
Kow camping?

I'm keen to ride and camp at Kowen.

Are the new tracks easy to find and is it possible to camp at the transition area used at the previous Mont 24's (or is that gate to Molongolo Gorge locked)? If not what are the camping options nearby.

Thanx

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Ah you can't camp at the old Mont spot- the people there run stock in that paddock etc I think. I believe the camping there for the (previous) events was a "special case" for the race only but normally - no.

The new camping spot for the new tracks and event will likely be a couple of K's up the road, but probably will be the same deal i.e. only camping for the event most likely.

The nearest definite camping spot AFAIK is the caravan park in Queanbeyan.