2011 Reba RLT: Can it be converted to 120mm?

asterix

Likes Bikes
I have a 2011 Epic Comp which came with RLT Reba's with 100mm of travel. Have been thinking of putting a 120mm fork on the front but before I bought another I was wondering if the Reba's can be converted to 120mm?
Thanks

sunmonkee

Likes Bikes
It can be done. A bloke at work has the same problem. I am pretty sure he took his fork to his LBS and they sorted him out. Good luck

wavike

Likes Dirt
I'd be interested how you go. Checked out the evo model but they weren't available in Aus. Bought the comp like you with a couple of upgrades. Changing the fork is a problem due to the Splesh 20mm QR hub. New wheel or hub required.

asterix

Likes Bikes
I've spoken to my local LBS here in Adelaide & they reckon it can be done but they're never sure until they have them apart. From what I've read on other forums it depends on whether there is a spacer in the internals. If there is it can be removed & that will increase the travel to 120mm. If not the travel can only be reduced by adding a spacer. I've booked it in for next Friday so we'll see. On a side note; the bike currently has its stock low-rise bars on it. I am thinking of getting a set of flat bars to compensate for the rise in the front end that an extra 20mm of travel will add. Is this warranted or will I be unlikely to notice a change in steering with an extra 20mm in front? I do like the current feel of the bike as I can get over the front end easy.

t_bomb

Likes Bikes
Not sure about your 2011's, but my 2008's were quite easy to raise to 115mm, once they are apart, just remove the spacer, as you said. As for your bars, i'd leave them as is if they feel good, you can always change them later! Obviously, raising your fork will slacken your headtube angle a little, so keep that in mind too.