2011 Reign Shock fit Question

>moto<

Likes Bikes
I'm looking at the Cane Creek DBAir CS shock advertised in the for sale section. Can anyone tell me if it will fit my bike? The can looks a fair. It bigger than the stock RP23.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Oh right I didn't even know there was a fit tool on the net, that's how newb I am with this stuff. It looks the 50mm fits then, wonder if I'll get away with the 57mm as that's the size that is for sale?

I did research last night and it looks like Rockshox Monarch will fit my bike in a 200x57 so I might take a punt.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

fedor346

Likes Dirt
Oh right I didn't even know there was a fit tool on the net, that's how newb I am with this stuff. It looks the 50mm fits then, wonder if I'll get away with the 57mm as that's the size that is for sale?

I did research last night and it looks like Rockshox Monarch will fit my bike in a 200x57 so I might take a punt.

Thanks for your help :)
I found this review on a reign x

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Rear-Shocks,35/Cane-Creek/DBair-CS,12809

I think geo is very similar to a reign. I recon should fit fine. End eye just needs to be 15mm.

cheers,

Gav

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I'd be dubious of that... It says the CS fits, but the regular one doesn't? The non-CS has less shit hanging off it!

It also states the CS fits my frame, but the non-CS doesn't... It should be the other way around.
The only dimension I can find common between the Coil, DB and DB inline is the upper bush eyelet width (at 12.70mm)which is different to the Standard DB, which has a bush eyelet width of 12.40mm.
I'm not too familiar with the Reign and the frame changes over the years, but if you select anything prior to 2010 on the fit finder, then all are available.
I'd also be pretty sure that a call to Cane Creek would give you the answer to why the Air CS is availabe for 2011 and not the Air.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Buy the shock. If it doesn't fit, sell it. It's been done before right Mitchy?

moorey

call me Mia
7mm extra stroke is going to add nearly 20mm travel. I'd checking that doesn't cause fouling at full travel. A mate was looking at doing the same, but decided against the 57mm stroke.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Cheers for the responses guys, much appreciated, though I think I'm more confused than when I started out! :noidea:

I assumed I could go to 57mm as I have seen others upgrade the Reign shock to 57mm.....using a Rockshox though. The CCDBair looks noticeably larger than a Rockshox Monarch equivalent. It does have a 15mm open bore end eye though so I should at least be alright there.

I have made an offer which has been tentatively accepted so I will likely find out soon. :pray:

Stevo

Edit: this is what the standard frame/shock looks like:

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I foresee issues with it being longer, AND CCDBA. Hope I'm wrong, reckon the shock will foul. :behindsofa:

>moto<

Likes Bikes
I've just searched the net for other Reign owners running 57mm setups and it seems to work with the shocks they have tried. Specifically they are:

Rockshox Monarch 57mm
Fox Van RC 57mm

The CCDBAir does look physically bigger than these though so I'm probably screwed!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
she'll be right.. i squeezed one in here.

you may be able to get NSD to shim it down to 200x51mm if it fouls with 57mm stroke.. i dont think it will though.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
Just a quick update for those that may be interested. The shock doesn't fit.......but it will! :heh: The lower mounting hole had a spacer press fitted into it reducing the diameter of the hole. After 10 minutes of fiddling I fashioned up my own press and had it out.

Smug that I fixed the issue I went to check the through bolt fitment - no go. A quick measure up revealed that the hole is 14.65mm and it needs to be 14.95mm to match the RP2 that came out. If I had a hone that size I'd take the material out myself but I don't, so it's off to a machine shop.

Once bored out it looks like it will fit just fine.

>moto<

Likes Bikes
So I took the shock to work with the intent on taking it to a machine shop, however it sat there months as I've been too busy to sort it. Finally got round to it last week and $20 later it was machined up. It fit in the bike no problem and works a treat!

It's so much better than the shitty Fox it's not funny and I didn't even change any of the settings from the standard set-up. I'm going for a set-up ride to get it dialled in tomorrow, it should be a trail eating machine then :hail: