2011 snow thread

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We've been told not to start worrying about lack of snow until ~15th July. I don't think you'll have to push it back.

Good thing about snow that starts later is that it usually finishes later. Bad thing is that the slopes still close at normal time :mad:
That might be all well and good for you and those living over there, but those of us who have holidays booked and paid with dates before the 15th have a real right to be worrying.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
That might be all well and good for you and those living over there, but those of us who have holidays booked and paid with dates before the 15th have a real right to be worrying.
I've started scoping bungee, brewery and riding options. Unless the sky opens before July4th.

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im there from the 11th.. I'm going to be very surprised if its not pumping by then as I go this time every year and its normally so damn reliable.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So uh, don't look at the peak.
5865400105_676b0ec980.jpg

This is above Queenstown from the pass. The snow line should be halfway down by now.
5865955508_b82b509b2b.jpg

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, I'm really post whoring the f*ck out of this thread - sorry guys!

Anyway, a mate and I got over the lack of snow today so we went shopping instead. This is what I walked out with. The Empire cost $330, and the Superpark $175, due to cosmetic damage from the Christchurch earthquake. I couldn't find the 'damage' until he pointed it out to me, stoked!

159 Smokin Superpark CTX (flexy park/all mtn, has Magne Traction!), 160 High Society Empire (directional powder).

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Wow, I'm really post whoring the f*ck out of this thread - sorry guys!

Anyway, a mate and I got over the lack of snow today so we went shopping instead. This is what I walked out with. The Empire cost $330, and the Superpark $175, due to cosmetic damage from the Christchurch earthquake. I couldn't find the 'damage' until he pointed it out to me, stoked!

159 Smokin Superpark CTX (flexy park/all mtn), 160 High Society Empire (directional powder).

bring it over to aus where it can be used!!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bring it over to aus where it can be used!!
Don't remind me! Snow predicted for Tuesday & Wednesday, snow park box run is meant to be opening on Tuesday as well! Hopefully Cardies/TC will be open Wednesday/Thursday with this snow. It's -7 tonight anyway.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Matt where did you find out it was going to snow? everything I'm looking at says no snow for the next 5 days :S. Really hope your right tho.
Mt Hutt opens tomorrow.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Matt where did you find out it was going to snow? everything I'm looking at says no snow for the next 5 days :S. Really hope your right tho.
Mt Hutt opens tomorrow.
Met Service + local talk.

And yeah, North Island has been getting a bit. Mt Ruepehu got hammered the other day apparently - haven't seen it for myself though.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Same flying out on 11th. been trolling every possible snow cam / forecast today. snow guns are blazing and its supposed to stay negative till Thursday so I guess that means more man made this week.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bring a book and your hiking boots ya'll.

Last night was meant to be hectic with the snow (as it was -10), and it...didn't really fall. There's a few clouds around, but it's not rainy/snowy. BUT, NZ's weather can change in a few hours unpredictably, so don't start crying yet.

As for the general vibe, everyone's pretty bummed and broke (no snow = no work). Some pretty rad house parties though since all the seasonal guys are finally getting their houses sorted so that's an up.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
so just got out to perisher and all set up in my room for the season..

beautiful view up and down the valley between perisher and smiggs, night off, contemplating a bit of a night ride (if i can be fucked to trek into town) otherwise just chill with a beer and the internet in my cosy little hole.

life is good :)