2011 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
just happened to drive past Cyclery Northside last thursday... they were having a sale :)

got myself a Brand new 2011 Stumpy for 47% off - stoked

so i go from this

'02 Giant AC

to this

world's apart and thankful to ride a real rig for once.

did a fun 7.5 km single track/firetrail/road ride this arvo and had a blast, but i'm buggered! have not ridden a proper track in a while, so i felt like hurling after... so happy though.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Good score mate, I've been looking everywhere for a 2011 or 2012 stumpy and it seems that in Victoria they all sold out ages ago.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Still a couple at that same store, get a tiger flight up to Sydney ;)

Packing for trip to the snow with a side stop at majura/stromlo

mxracer92

Likes Dirt
nice buy , i love my stumpy.. thats why i got 3 of them atm !

wait till u ride one with a brain attached .

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
nice buy , i love my stumpy.. thats why i got 3 of them atm !

wait till u ride one with a brain attached .
i could have gotten an elite for about 400 more with the brain, but in all honesty, i think i prefer the lower weight and less service's required of my setup (service's according to north side sales guy)

had a fun ride with wife at stromlo on wednesday last week, was so much fun to ride such a nice setup. can't wait to hit up the trails!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
So I have Been having a tonne of fun on this bike, getting used ten years difference in bike tech has me super stoked to ride again.

So now come the questions on setup, happy to start a new thread if that's the done thing but figured anyone asking questions about the stumpys in the future will no doubt be shown to this thread.

I have been riding mainly xc loops locally with a few trips to manly dam, Stromlo, ourimbah etc with no problems at all in different terrain. But today I was riding with mate at Oxford falls... Being very cautious and soft really, but a few hits had me compressing the forks a lot.
I know if I went faster the drops would have been smoother and maybe given the stumpjumpers are not really for this kind of riding. Should I be concerned with this level of compression? Here are my gauges

Fork is rockshox revalation rl

Normal rides have me with about 40mm travel left on the front and about 20mm left on the rear.
I'm running the front at 80psi which is the mid point (70-90psi) for my weight (exactly 60kg) I tried it at 90 but found it too stiff and uncomfortable on most trails.

I guess I could bump it up when doing this kind of riding which is rare.
Thoughts??

Kamikazee ideki

Likes Dirt
The short answer is that there isn't anything to worry about. Your suspension should be set so that on hard compressions it does bottom out or comes close to doing so. Bottoming out occasionally just means that you're making use of all the suspension travel available to you.

Last edited:

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man thats a sweet rig!
had a quick spin on a lower model one the other day. and it felt amazing, i can imagine how good yours would be!
how does it hit the descents ?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Man thats a sweet rig!
had a quick spin on a lower model one the other day. and it felt amazing, i can imagine how good yours would be!
how does it hit the descents ?
not sure what you mean by lower model.. this one is the base model stumpjumper AFAIK ;)but yeah it handles well on descending. the other day on my first time at ourimbah i felt it come alive on the track once the speed picked up and started railing corners and hitting rock sections at speed. even managed to flow nicely into a rock gap jump and it just ate it up, like i never left the ground! The stoke i am getting from riding this thing is off the charts.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not sure what you mean by lower model.. this one is the base model stumpjumper AFAIK ;)but yeah it handles well on descending. the other day on my first time at ourimbah i felt it come alive on the track once the speed picked up and started railing corners and hitting rock sections at speed. even managed to flow nicely into a rock gap jump and it just ate it up, like i never left the ground! The stoke i am getting from riding this thing is off the charts.
i thought the one i rode was the lowest one you could get in aus...
anyway. sounds rad! looks like your having fun!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
i thought the one i rode was the lowest one you could get in aus...
anyway. sounds rad! looks like your having fun!
unless you mean the hard tails the order of stump jumpers is:

FSR Comp
FSR Elite
FSR Expert
FSR Pro

plus add in the EVO, EVO carbon and Carbon models to that mix, but basically the Comp is the base model. Cheapest but still well spec'd out!

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
unless you mean the hard tails the order of stump jumpers is:

FSR Comp
FSR Elite
FSR Expert
FSR Pro

plus add in the EVO, EVO carbon and Carbon models to that mix, but basically the Comp is the base model. Cheapest but still well spec'd out!
ahh. i realised i rode the 2013 FSR comp.
my bad :p

Congrats on the new rig!
I've had my Stunt Jumper FSR Comp for just under a year now and it seriously is a world of difference being on a decent bike! It really does eat up all the trails and its like being on a plush 4wd!

Here's mine just before a much needed clean after fighting with some muddy hills!
2012-09-15-13.46.30.jpg

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Congrats on the new rig!
I've had my Stunt Jumper FSR Comp for just under a year now and it seriously is a world of difference being on a decent bike! It really does eat up all the trails and its like being on a plush 4wd!

Here's mine just before a much needed clean after fighting with some muddy hills!
View attachment 248940

nice colours - what year model/spec?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
new wheel set got picked up today, so with the help of the wheel builder we changed it all over and went to tubeless as well... after a quick ride i am so happy with the choice.

from this

to this

Decibelled

Likes Bikes
Awesome discount you got on the bike! And that's a pretty cool little bike rack thing in your van, you got anymore photos of it? I got a hiace and keen to make something like that.. Removable?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Awesome discount you got on the bike! And that's a pretty cool little bike rack thing in your van, you got anymore photos of it? I got a hiace and keen to make something like that.. Removable?
I made it out of 16mm plywood, ill have a look to see if I have more pics. It was designed to fit in a standard box trailer then I had it in my falcon ute. Fits 4 bikes with no need for tied downs when loaded for shuttles etc. I tied my bike in the pic as we were heading on a long trip. There was 3 sides and a strut across the back that sat on the bottom behind the tyres to hold them in. I threw it out last council cleanup as I didn't really need it in the van And I had to pull out my tool boxes to fit it in. Cost about 25 bucks and about an hour to make.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
What were the biggest differences you felt with the upgraded wheelset?
Ill let you know in about 2 hrs ;)
But initial blast down my local Firetrail loop is very stable and feels better when landing drops. Not as chattery as the dtswiss 420s I had before.

Decibelled

Likes Bikes
I made it out of 16mm plywood, ill have a look to see if I have more pics. It was designed to fit in a standard box trailer then I had it in my falcon ute. Fits 4 bikes with no need for tied downs when loaded for shuttles etc. I tied my bike in the pic as we were heading on a long trip. There was 3 sides and a strut across the back that sat on the bottom behind the tyres to hold them in. I threw it out last council cleanup as I didn't really need it in the van And I had to pull out my tool boxes to fit it in. Cost about 25 bucks and about an hour to make.
Wanna look into building one for my hiace, I'm a chippy, should be able to whip one up easy as, pm some photos if u find some, cheers man :)