2011 Sunshine Series Discussion and Information

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has some informaiton (dates, venues etc) about the 2011 Sunshine Series or if they have any queries/discussions that other people may be able to answer.

I was thinking today that we could potentialy have a long amazing series.

-Kandanga
-Illinbah
-Kenilworth
-Duck Creek
-Cedar Creek
-Toowoomba
-Brookfeild (old track)
-Beerburrum

Imagine that 8 races maybe at 3 week intervals.... Maybe in the future.

So what does anyone have to talk about with the 2011 series?.....

Downhill_Only

Likes Dirt
That would be a sick series if it went through.... Its all about getting help and clubs support etc, doesnt work otherwise :(

WISHFUL THINKING

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Imagine the carnage if they held a race at the Bo***in track..." said Trent's shoulder.

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
With getting the clubs to organise an event and all alot of the club managers seem to run busy lives so would it hurt us to get a professional to organise the events.. 5 or 7 dollars extra at a race, everyone would pay that if they got another 3 or 4 runs and could be doing stuff apart from waiting in a line. And then everything would be sorted, costs all of that stuff and information could be relased on who is needed where, e.g. x drivers, X canteen workers etc.

santacruzkid

Likes Dirt
There is a bit of a draft getting around for the Sunny Series but not too much has been locked in with this weather... Something shouldn't be too far away providing the weather doesn't play havoc with some of the decisions.

Hold tight people.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If its hard then thats what we need, I am hearing from QLD riders who go to National races that the tracks are alot more challenging and dificult then most QLD tracks.
is that why illinbah is said to be one of the hardest tracks in Australia ? sorry chris but have you ever done a national round ?

wertmewert

Likes Dirt
Yes Illinbah is awesome and hard track but QLD seems to lack a bit of consistency and all I have herd is how wild and hard Tasmania and Buller was.

Beerby Isn't the hardest track out there although a fun track that I will still race anyday, and last years Brookfeild had lots of fire road.

Don't get me wrong we have some realy nice tracks that are fun to ride but they don't have the same stuff like what tassy and baw baw have, would you rather race Tasmania or Beerburrum for free?

Last edited:

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes Illinbah is awesome and hard track but QLD seems to lack a bit of consistency and all I have herd is how wild and hard Tasmania and Buller was.

Beerby Isn't the hardest track out there although a fun track that I will still race anyday, and last years Brookfeild had lots of fire road.

Don't get me wrong we have some realy nice tracks that are fun to ride but they don't have the same stuff like what tassy and baw baw have, would you rather race Tasmania or Beerburrum for free?
we don't have a choice ? maybe if the government decided to make more of our tracks legal (which isn't going to happen) we would have an awesome series like Victoria but the fact is downhill in Queensland is slowly dieing and i don't think many people know how to change that.

bogada

Likes Dirt
Pretty well said. We race what we have. I think variety is important too. Beerburrum is a contrast to somewhere like Illinbah which is great for the series. Different skill set, difference fitness etc. Personally i'd like 6 different tracks as difficult/challenging as Illinbah - but they don't exist so we race the ones that do and make the most of.it.

This mt Joyce might have some rugged stuff in it. I heard there were 2 tracks going in, one by glen Jacobs and one by Rennie. I doubt either of those will be tassel and flower basket runs.

Might be a few new tracks in the series before long.

Downhill dying is a big call tho. From memory, there were 240 at beerburrum for round 1 - a track that is relatively 'tame' in dh terms. Pretty sure.there were about the same at Kenilworth for the final round. I'd say that's not bad. Would be interesting to see how many 'total competitors' raced throughout the series. I predict there would be heaps off people who only raced 1 or 2 rounds - indicating that there isn't just 240 people racing, but probably over 350 (at a guess) - a big turnout if they all show up at every race.

I think the series is great - it could benefit from its own site tho - to help tidy up the pre race info etc.

My 2 bob.

we don't have a choice ? maybe if the government decided to make more of our tracks legal (which isn't going to happen) we would have an awesome series like Victoria but the fact is downhill in Queensland is slowly dieing and i don't think many people know how to change that.

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty well said. We race what we have. I think variety is important too. Beerburrum is a contrast to somewhere like Illinbah which is great for the series. Different skill set, difference fitness etc. Personally i'd like 6 different tracks as difficult/challenging as Illinbah - but they don't exist so we race the ones that do and make the most of.it.

This mt Joyce might have some rugged stuff in it. I heard there were 2 tracks going in, one by glen Jacobs and one by Rennie. I doubt either of those will be tassel and flower basket runs.

Might be a few new tracks in the series before long.

Downhill dying is a big call tho. From memory, there were 240 at beerburrum for round 1 - a track that is relatively 'tame' in dh terms. Pretty sure.there were about the same at Kenilworth for the final round. I'd say that's not bad. Would be interesting to see how many 'total competitors' raced throughout the series. I predict there would be heaps off people who only raced 1 or 2 rounds - indicating that there isn't just 240 people racing, but probably over 350 (at a guess) - a big turnout if they all show up at every race.

I think the series is great - it could benefit from its own site tho - to help tidy up the pre race info etc.

My 2 bob.
it would be nice to have 8 rounds in Queensland like Victoria do but last year we had 4?! was going to be 5 but a club didn't have enough help to actually run it ?! not to mention they have 40 or so more riders than we get.

santacruzkid

Likes Dirt
Would be awesome to 8 rounds but like any series that would be a huge effort to get off the ground. Can't see why it can't happen but it will take a lot more time and effort getting this to happen.

As for the DH dyiing I wouldn't go that far and say DH in Queensland is slowly dying. 200+ riders at the first round thats pretty good just for one state, nationals don't get too many more then that ans thats Aus as a whole.

The Sunny Series could do with its own website keeping things up to date rather then looking through threads to see wheather the event is still on due to rain - That is something people need to put forward to MTBA.

bogada

Likes Dirt
We will never compete with Victoria in terms of numbers at races due to the size of.our state. Victoria has a large population that is very dense. This means heaps of people to build tracks, run races and ultimately race. We have clubs in rocky, townsville and cairns to name a few. There is your extra 3 rounds but due to distance and cost - how many will travel and support this? Research says bugger all.

Yeah the vic scene sounds awesome - but we cannot realistically use it As a model for our series. There are too many differences we face in Qld - a few of which I've touched on.

What we need to do is support clubs.
Abolish day license moochers (allow people 3 then join up I say). Clubs get nothing out of this and makes hosting races harder.
Help your club on building/maintenance days as well as race prep and pulldown.
Help on race days - sell burgers, take noms, drive shuttles etc - or bring somebody who can.
Provide constructive feedback to clubs and organisations - not bag them out.

We would all love to race more - but it doesn't happen automatically.

My 2 extra bob.

it would be nice to have 8 rounds in Queensland like Victoria do but last year we had 4?! was going to be 5 but a club didn't have enough help to actually run it ?! not to mention they have 40 or so more riders than we get.