ACT 2012 Australian 24hr Solo MTB Championships

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Couldn't find a thread already started, let me know if I missed it.

I'll change the title if either A: enough people ask me to; or B: MTBA awards the event that title we all assume it'll get. Whichever comes first.

So is it going to be at Stromlo again or one of those other locations?

Last edited:

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
2012 Easter Solo 24 Location

One of the great mysteries of life ... Mind you, pretty confident about the date :single_eye:

Short answer, either Stromlo or Majura. Depending on the availabilty of venues, the riders will be surveyed early in 2012. Why? 'cause its important that you have input.

This may be the last chance to ride Majura for a long time with roadworks starting late next year, so it might be one of those situations where the head says Stromlo but the heart says Majura ...

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Madge :clap2:

(Not sure why the head would say Stromlo? Easier logistics perhaps? Madge has the aaaauuuuurra though :) )

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
6+6 available again this year?
Yes.

(Not sure why the head would say Stromlo? Easier logistics perhaps? Madge has the aaaauuuuurra though :) )
More on-course pit space available, better parking - but also it is at ACT Government supported venue, so bringing major events to it works for the riders because the more it is used, the more Government support it is likely to get, and the better it gets.

However - agree that Majura has the "cultural home of Solo-Only 24 Racing" aspect going for it.

Last edited:

krisko

Likes Dirt
More on-course pit space available, better parking - but also it is at ACT Government supported venue, so bringing major events to it works for the riders because the more it is used, the more Government support it is likely to get, and the better it gets.
Looking at the Territory plan, TVE do not report and utilise such events to gain / justify funds. You can look at this a few ways incompetence, resourcing, laziness, unwillingness, right person in the right job etc Only the major events 24 worlds etc got a mention in the Territory plan 2010-2011. Other events such as these don't even get mentioned as an 'event' go figure!

Majura, I say +1 more!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Yesterday I rode both Stromlo and Majura. While Stromlo is a world class xc venue and quite a challenge for me, I would much rather do a 24 at Majura. I think the flowing nature of the trails would be kinder to the body and a lot more fun. I also like the feel of being in the forest rather than on the hill.
I think many will disagree, wanting a real mtb course. But, to me, Stromlo feels a bit artificial. I can also see that maybe Majura would lack challenge for the elites. But maybe this would lead to closer racing?

+1 Majura for me.

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
People complained about Kurrajong being "too easy" when a 6hr was run there to start the VES 2 years ago; instead it produced a race where the top 8 or so stayed together for the first few hours, and finally a few broke away with not long to go, still racing til the end. They covered something silly like 160km in the event. All of these should be taken as a positive.

A course is a course. Why must they always be super-technical? What, so a "roadie" can't win? He's still on a mountain bike, in case people didn't notice - and at the end of the day, someone still got beat.

I'd personally rather ride at Majura than Stromlo.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Easter 2012 is weekend of April 7-8. I assume that is the date - Josie already has it blocked out in the race calendar :) Road trip to CBR it seems!

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
I'm allowed to set the course for the Easter race, so I'm really hoping it can be at Majura. I'm already thinking about all the climbs we won't be doing. And I'm taking out that corner where someone pushed me into the trees - twice!

Setting an interesting, we haven't done this before, course at Stromlo is going to be more challenging.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Ed, I'm very offended and disappointed that you felt the need to ask if I take bribes.

What part do you want in?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Don't care about the hills, just promise me no RAIN! Still having nightmare over the race at Redesdale