2012 Highland Fling

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Am I just blind, or are there no average times anywhere? e.g. what was the average time for the full fling? Median is easy to ID, but average seems to not be there?

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My first MTB race I had a blast. Was really worried about the number of people on the course, holding people up, getting in the way etc. I had a few hairy moments, including almost falling into the path of a male and then female elite rider but everyone was great and there was no aggro. I was quite slow on the singletrack, I found it quite narrow and twisty with a few trees trying to grab my handlebars.

The singletrack after the grassy hill was testing too, might have been more due to how knackered I was.

Great event, really well organised, my butt wants me to buy a dually today.

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
Two things that irked me.

I asked a guy if I could sneak into the start chute at where I gauged 50-100 might seed themselves and was unceremoniously told "WE got here at 7, the end of the queue is DOWN THERE" and pointed to where the backmarkers were lining up. Whoever you are I hope you had a shit day.

All bar one of the elites that came through did so with little fuss. Some (eg Trenton Day) were downright polite about it. The one exception though seemed to expect people to instantly disappear into thin air. It's a piece of narrow single track lined with trees and rocks. Not exactly sure where you expect people to go?

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
Two things that irked me.

I asked a guy if I could sneak into the start chute at where I gauged 50-100 might seed themselves and was unceremoniously told "WE got here at 7, the end of the queue is DOWN THERE" and pointed to where the backmarkers were lining up. Whoever you are I hope you had a shit day.

All bar one of the elites that came through did so with little fuss. Some (eg Trenton Day) were downright polite about it. The one exception though seemed to expect people to instantly disappear into thin air. It's a piece of narrow single track lined with trees and rocks. Not exactly sure where you expect people to go?
I wasn't there so of course don't know, but it sounds as if a lot of people lined up, and you didn't, but expected them to let you in on the queue?

Or is it not a queue?

JD26

Likes Dirt
Great read - thanks for that.. i especially liked the random facts at the end. 14 gels consumed = 1 every 20 minutes!
actually, I prepared 14 gels worth into Gel Flasks. Checking them out this morning (ie cleaning) I noticed I didn't get through all of them (a little left over in each) - probably 12 and a half gels worth consumed I reckon!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
^^^

Its supposed to be self seeding - there are lots of people however that seem a little overly optimistic, and get to the start line 30minutes early so they can be overtaken by 200 riders in the first 30minutes.

Not a problem so much at the capital last year - bit of a joke at the convict though, if the fling was like that I can understand the frustration

top_oz_bloke

Likes Dirt
aahahaha.. Well of course, the "optimisim" of some folk outweighs their realism.

Perhaps for such a big race, with so many returning athletes they could issue different coloured number plates based on previous finish times.
I don't really have an issue with self seed. It's not perfect but it's easy for the organisers to implement and in the case of the Fling resolves itself pretty quick as there's not really any single track for the first 30k's or so.

It was the response I got that I thought was pretty rude as I generally consider this type of event to be pretty friendly. I actually thought he was having a joke until he kept his serious face on.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Corker Photos

Thanks for the heads up on the photos: I'm well impressed with the turnaround time. Cracker photos too - the positioning/light/backgrounds are great, a real step up on past years.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
They make the photos bloody hard not to buy!

Great race, and a great way to celebrate my birthday. One huge disappointment though (although it's worked out for the best, I guess) was that I signed up for the Elite full, and took a wrong turn whilst in a pack of guys thinking they were also doing the full, then I got to the finish line and wondered why they were stopping me and taking my timing chip. I'd only done the half and have a big fat DNF next to my name in the final results.

On the upside, my time for the half (2:21) sits me in 7th position for the category, which I was quite happy with considering I held back slightly thinking I had another 50k's to go. Not sure if it was just me, but I found the signposting a little shit. Especially having never ridden the course before.

But ah well, was lots of fun and i'll be back next year for sure.

frensham

Likes Dirt
They make the photos bloody hard not to buy!

Great race, and a great way to celebrate my birthday. One huge disappointment though (although it's worked out for the best, I guess) was that I signed up for the Elite full, and took a wrong turn whilst in a pack of guys thinking they were also doing the full, then I got to the finish line and wondered why they were stopping me and taking my timing chip. I'd only done the half and have a big fat DNF next to my name in the final results.
On the upside, my time for the half (2:21) sits me in 7th position for the category, which I was quite happy with considering I held back slightly thinking I had another 50k's to go. Not sure if it was just me, but I found the signposting a little shit. Especially having never ridden the course before.
But ah well, was lots of fun and i'll be back next year for sure.
So, you fuck up and it's because the signage is shit? There was nothing wrong with the signage. After eight Flings, the one thing they have right is the signage. Open your eyes my friend, open your eyes.