DH 2012 Lapierre DH720 - Ex Bike

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Yeah, but is worry that since they are a material outer rather than plastic, general branch, etc strikes will eat them up.

I know on mine, most the damage is from branches, twigs and bushes that I brush past on trails.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Just registered for Group C at Cressy on the 7th of Sept!

So excited, this will be my first 'race' as such! It's going to hurt soooooooooooooo much and I will be last but I don't care! :)

Hoping this hole in my leg from the last YY adventure heals over by then!

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I kinda want to enter as well... only rode Cressy once so far though.
Would also like to have a FF and goggles beforehand... dunno if my bank account is up to it all right now, haha.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I kinda want to enter as well... only rode Cressy once so far though.
Would also like to have a FF and goggles beforehand... dunno if my bank account is up to it all right now, haha.
Do it! I have a FF helmet and goggles I probably won't need by then as I have a new FF and I just ordered goggles.

Anyway, here is the ONLY picture proving I actual was riding on the day:

Not every exciting and the bike looks like a BMX under me. :p

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Went for a quick ride on a private trail today. DC's are bloody fantastic and the new goggles are crystal clear!

Very happy with those purchases.

On the flip side, things I am not happy with:

That hole I put in my leg at the YY's a month ago, yeah so it turns out it's become infected as my dog kept brushing past it and lifting the scab.

So yesterday I was lucky enough to get a tetanus injection, had the wound cleaned out and not I get to re-dress it daily while munching down on anti's like their skittles.

Hoping it's healed up by next weekend for the Cressy ride day. :s

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Great day out at YY yesterday!

The conditions were tricky, being very dry and having so many riders going through the berms had a lot of loose stuff pretty high up and I inhaled a lot of dust. Still coughing and sneezing it up.

I manage to stay upright the whole day which I was happy with given the track conditions and there were a few people that didn't have a good time, but nothing major that I saw.

It was an intense atmosphere, especially during practice, with hecklers lining a lot of the track with air horns, trumpets, cow bells and screaming at riders. The common chant was 'PEEEEEEEEEEEEDALL!!!'

In between practice and the actual timed run, there was 2 hours so I had a nap in the car.

Filmed the timed run;

[video=youtube;2kbKc4SGy_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2kbKc4SGy_k[/video]

Official times come out today I think, but looking at the video I did it in around 3:22 which I was happy with overall.

I still need to sort out the middle section where I fumbled through the rocks, probably save a few seconds.

Definitely great fun.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
The top-helmet cam makes everything look so slow!
Lacking audio with the waterproof backing on the cam too (aside from branches smacking it, haha).

Though a run with no crashes is always a good run. :)

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
The top-helmet cam makes everything look so slow!
Lacking audio with the waterproof backing on the cam too (aside from branches smacking it, haha).

Though a run with no crashes is always a good run. :)
Yeah, I was pretty happy to stay on the bike all day.

And I agree, helmet cam doesn't do the speed justice... which in my case is REALLY bad as I am already going slow! Haha.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Couple runs from the FTFDH event.

I only went on the Sunday and only ended up getting 3 non-timed runs in before I started making some silly fatigue mistakes so decided to call it a day.

Tried mounting the camera on the bars instead of the helmet... rattly...

[video=youtube;qDKK7h4Dv6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKK7h4Dv6A[/video]

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Went out to Lysterfield on Saturday to check out the new features on Aneurysm.

Sweet jesus I am unfit!

In my defence, I did have a PT session in the morning before going riding but my efforts were still shameful.

One full run down aneurysm and then just spent the rest of my time playing on the tabletops.

I found that one of the big ones you can ride in from the fire trail to hit it. (Shhh, don't tell anyway)

Aside from that, I did find the setup of the tabletops a bit weird.

In all cases, I found the take off too steep and short. Plus it did seem that in all cases there seemed to be something to unsettle the bike right before the large feature like a corner without a berm or in the case of the last, small tabletop, a little double thing...

Anyway, long story short, I think I need to work on my pedaling as I think my issue is that I am lazy and don't pedal until I've lost too much pace and then it's a lot more work.

I'm also thinking I need something that is 27.5 and enduro like. So the Lapierre is for sale at this point. Not sure fi I am kidding myself, but I think the 27.5 size will help me roll better.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I think the issue is trying to rock a downhill bike on an XC style trail, haha.

If you can only have one bike you should ask yourself what you like more, or look at what you think you'll ride more often, terrain-wise.
Personally I'd look at getting a second bike, it's too hard to have one do-it-all. There's always gonna be some kind of compromise.

Then you can have the best of both worlds. :)

As for Aneurysm, I haven't hit the new jumps yet (broken wrist) but I don't like the look of them at all.
They look too short and too steep like you said, I don't like that feeling of being kicked up into the air.

I think the trail builders out there need to seriously rethink their ideas sometimes... or at least build their jumps properly!

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I think the issue is trying to rock a downhill bike on an XC style trail, haha.

If you can only have one bike you should ask yourself what you like more, or look at what you think you'll ride more often, terrain-wise.
Personally I'd look at getting a second bike, it's too hard to have one do-it-all. There's always gonna be some kind of compromise.

Then you can have the best of both worlds. :)

As for Aneurysm, I haven't hit the new jumps yet (broken wrist) but I don't like the look of them at all.
They look too short and too steep like you said, I don't like that feeling of being kicked up into the air.

I think the trail builders out there need to seriously rethink their ideas sometimes... or at least build their jumps properly!
Yeah, I'm not the greatest in the air but coming off the ramp puts me in the air in a way where I feel really out of control.

I walked up the trail to scope them out and when I saw the one on the very bottom I was like, ok, that's pretty simple but then noticed the little set of 'bumps' right before it and was like 'err, that's weird'.

Then I saw the big ones and I was very surprised how short and steep the take off was. Really jut get 'flung' in the air to be honest, plus they feel like they scrub a lot of speed.

In terms of bikes, I love it when I do get out to DH trails, even though I stumble about a bit but the rush is great.

At the same time, I find myself at Lysterfield quite often. So I was thinking a slack 27.5 enduro would roll better, pedal better and also be able to tackle Cressy, Red Hill and the like without much trouble.