VIC 2012 Marathon Challenge Avoca

HIFI2009

Likes Bikes
Just thought I'd get the thread started. This event is one of my favourites but doesn't seem to get much love. The debacle of the first year (the Pyrenees "hiking" track) was resolved - this race has a bit of everything. Looking forward to it once again.

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Cheers HIFI2009!

Marathon Challenge 2012 sure is back and as you've said - we've been working hard on it! Including trail clearing being done by Langi Kal Kal prison which will clean the trail to tip top condition for the event.

This year we also have a new distance of 65km for those who need a bit of a bridge between the 45km and 90km. Of course the feed zones are back, stocked full of Endura products and bakery goods - give us a shout of any other suggestions, think the donuts went down well last year.

Check us out on facebook, twitter and our website gallery - which features some of our trail building and riding.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Avoca on March the 18th.

MJG

Likes Dirt
Cheers HIFI2009!

Marathon Challenge 2012 sure is back and as you've said - we've been working hard on it! Including trail clearing being done by Langi Kal Kal prison which will clean the trail to tip top condition for the event.

This year we also have a new distance of 65km for those who need a bit of a bridge between the 45km and 90km. Of course the feed zones are back, stocked full of Endura products and bakery goods - give us a shout of any other suggestions, think the donuts went down well last year.

Check us out on facebook, twitter and our website gallery - which features some of our trail building and riding.

Looking forward to seeing you all at Avoca on March the 18th.
I'm in for the 90 km for the 3rd time. Last year's race was much better course-wise than the inaugural event. But, can we get better signage on the loop that we do after the winery feed station? Last year this included a very rocky downhill section that didn't have the usual caution/danger signs - were we meant to descend this or not? The front 20 or so riders concertina-ed up at this point when the race leaders backtracked from hitting another part of the course we'd already ridden, we all walked back up the rocky bit and eventually found some semblance of a turn (unmarked). After a few 100 m we then found the red on white course arrows, but it made the race closer then it should have been, when people who were say 2-3 min down were now on your wheel.

As for bakery goods, dry goodies aren't easy to scoff down in a hurry...moister ones are easier to eat. The cola at the last feed station before the 3 sisters was good for a caffeine and sugar hit. Also, since you're asking for suggestions, something savoury, say a vegemite sandwich, would be a pleasant change from all the sweet food on offer. If you can't implement these suggestions then no drama, this is still the best catered MTB race I've done.

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Great suggestions MJB - all taken on board, there were a number of people who mentioned about better signage after the 2011 Marathon Challenge.

Will see what we can do about food - we've just heard that Degani Bakeries are going to be stocking our feed zones this year; we're putting our order in shortly - majority of entries come in in the last week, but we'd like to stress that the more people who enter now = the more food we can order!

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Seb710 - Entries will close on the evening of Wednesday the 14th.

But as previously suggested - get signed up early so we can order more food for the feed zones :D

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In! I love those donunts. No cyclocross bike for this one! The otway was fun on one but I rate Avoca as real mtbing. Ungroomed, untamed and always a different challenge...so I don't have to provide one myself. ;-)

7 day forcast has 22 deg and Sunny. This could see the course record broken!

7-day-forcast.jpg

Its the perfect weather for Australias most supported Mountian Bike Marathon!

softek

Likes Dirt
entry closing?

Hi guys, anyone know when the entries will close, not sure if i make it home on time thats all?

Freakie

Squid
I entered the 45km purely because it's my 1st enduro and the reported amount of climbing scared the crap out of me!

seb710

Likes Bikes
is it similar to the ottway odyssey?
Most of the climbing is in the second half as opposed to the OO in the front end. The OO had a large % of well groomed track this is a little more rugged.
Both are hard work, in my opinion this one is harder and a challenging MTB coarse, don't think you will see too many roadies lining up for their first mtb marathon at this one

softek

Likes Dirt
Most of the climbing is in the second half as opposed to the OO in the front end. The OO had a large % of well groomed track this is a little more rugged.
Both are hard work, in my opinion this one is harder and a challenging MTB coarse, don't think you will see too many roadies lining up for their first mtb marathon at this one
Thanks mate, I will see you at the starting line champ

MJG

Likes Dirt
The Marathon Challenge has more frequent hills, most of which are on either long dragging (> 1 km at say 5%) fire-roads or steeper efforts (up to 20% for a long one called Pinchy) which are climbable if you haven't gone too hard, or are cramping, or unfit...and then there are the 3 Sisters at the end to contend with. I reckon fit roadies would do quite well in this one, as it's technically not that difficult, but rewards anyone who has climbing fitness and endurance. This race just needs to (re)establish its reputation, which is improving after the continuing re-alignment away from the unrideable bits of the Pyrenees Endurance Trail. After the first race I thought/swore I wouldn't be back, but gave it another go last year after hearing about the course changes and it was much better - I suppose a bit of prior knowledge also helped with knowing what was coming up. I'm expecting this year's course to be better still.

The weather forecast for Avoca looks ideal:
http://freemeteo.com/default.asp?pid=23&la=1&gid=2177454