2012 Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon

taibo

Eats Squid
My new race bike coming in at 9.8kg including bottle cage :) frame with shock seat post collar and headset was a smidge over 2kg
Big thanks to Andrew from Neezy and TBSM!
Frame: 2012 SC Blur XC carbon medium with kashima RP23
Forks: 2012 F120 RLC FIT kashima taper(will lower these to 100mm i think and steerer will need a trim once i figure out where)
Headset: Chris King 1 1/8-1 1/2 Inset
Drivetrain: Full XTR
Brakes: XTR trail (couldnt source race version and couldnt wait any longer so i pay a weight penalty of 66g :) )
Wheels: Mavic SLR
Tyres: Rocket Rons EVO setup as tubeless
Bars/Stem/Post: 3T Ltd (carbon and titanium everything)
Seat: Fizik Aliante Gamma

Cant wait to get out to Appin this weekend and give it a thorough flogging!

~XTC~

Likes Bikes
You will enjoy it, I have been riding mine for 3 weeks and love it more each time I ride it.IMG_3193-1.jpg

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I very highly doubt this is 9.8kg. I'd put it at high 10's.

Looks sick! The fork decals match the frame well, great set of parts too.
Knowing Tai he's probably weighed it 1000 times to make sure.. So my money is on 9.8kg :p

~XTC~

Likes Bikes
I would believe 9.8-10.2... mine is 10.6 with Arch rims and Thomson post and stem, 3T LTD is really light, he would be saving 250-300 off mine with the 3T stuff and the wheels would be 150-200 light than mine.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Knowing Tai he's probably weighed it 1000 times to make sure.. So my money is on 9.8kg :p
On what though? I'm just being a weight Nazi hear but it's not sub 10kg.

I have an extremely accurate scale here, A 2011 Blur XC Carbon medium, full 2012 XTR, lighter wheelset, 100mm fox, Ritchey WCS carbon gear at 10.5kg. A Spark 10 (lightest Dually money can buy) did not hit sub 10 with the same build.

Even if 3T LTD was lighter, the weight is made up in the fork.

Just sayin'.... 10.X vs 9.X is not much and I don't think it changes the way it rides but I know my weights and it's not sub 10.

OP, have you ridden a 2010/2011 Blur XC? Does the 1.5" head tube make a difference in stiffness?

wattieez

Likes Dirt
My large blur classic is 10.5, i have no doubt this is 9.8

On what though? I'm just being a weight Nazi hear but it's not sub 10kg.

I have an extremely accurate scale here, A 2011 Blur XC Carbon medium, full 2012 XTR, lighter wheelset, 100mm fox, Ritchey WCS carbon gear at 10.5kg. A Spark 10 (lightest Dually money can buy) did not hit sub 10 with the same build.

Even if 3T LTD was lighter, the weight is made up in the fork.

Just sayin'.... 10.X vs 9.X is not much and I don't think it changes the way it rides but I know my weights and it's not sub 10.

OP, have you ridden a 2010/2011 Blur XC? Does the 1.5" head tube make a difference in stiffness?

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My large blur classic is 10.5, i have no doubt this is 9.8
Blur classic @ 10.5? Maybe if you were running stupidly light wheels, sids and everything XTR and carbon....

I honestly love this guys bike (Go the blur!!) and Im trying not to sound like im hating on it but knowing the weights of things is my profession and Im sick of seeing so many bikes on here with seemingly false weights.

I don't want to clog up this thread.. Enjoy the ride!

taibo

Eats Squid
Lol...I have weighed it on two sets of digital scales and the one from the LBS says it's 9.8kg. My scales at home actually say it's 9.7kg. it's definitely not 10kg plus :) if it was, all the 3T Ltd stuff went to waste...And I've got nothing to lie about when it comes to weight, we all know it in the legs :) if I was a weight weenie I would of gone with one of those crazy carbon seats, dt Swiss flexi forks, xtr race brakes, stans/240s wheels, 2.1 RR instead of the 2.25, 3 rotor bolts, 2 chainring bolts, 1x10 and left out the 60mls of sealant in each tyre
And even if the scales are off by a massive 199g, still sub 10kg :)
Will have ride report after weekend but I did have the first blur xc carbon demo bike for a few weeks to try out.

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You should probably get a new profession.
Oh snap! Considering who I work for, that's pretty funny.

I'm thinking, if your bike is 9.8kg I'm genuinely interested in where this weight (800g) is lost...I'm weighing my bikes on a scale that cost more then my bike and it's been recently certified with Goverment-lab tested weights. It's not wrong.

I was going to post up the bike this weekend anyway, It has a couple parts that are heavier then yours but a few parts that are lighter too. Only thing I can see that is of noticeable difference is your wheels being tubeless. The bike here is running lightweight crossmarks and maxxis lightweight tubes. XTR kit is similar (2x10 here), fork is 70g lighter here, Stem+headset+bar is pretty much the same (yours being maybe 50~g lighter) and this one having a Thompson elite seatpost (say, 100g heavier?) wheels are 1520g, brakes the same, seat is 180g...

Reason I even brought this up was, we've previously tried to get a spark10 as light as possible with Fox forks and we didn't hit 10kg even though the spark is a full 200+g lighter just in the frame.

Anyway I know our bike weighs 10.55, your bike probably does weigh 9.8 considering it's been on two separate scales a multiple of times. Cheap scales don't work but giving this the benefit of the doubt.

Let us know how the 1.5 feels after it's been out on a good ride :)

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh snap! Considering who I work for, that's pretty funny.

I'm thinking, if your bike is 9.8kg I'm genuinely interested in where this weight (800g) is lost...I'm weighing my bikes on a scale that cost more then my bike and it's been recently certified with Goverment-lab tested weights. It's not wrong.

I was going to post up the bike this weekend anyway, It has a couple parts that are heavier then yours but a few parts that are lighter too. Only thing I can see that is of noticeable difference is your wheels being tubeless. The bike here is running lightweight crossmarks and maxxis lightweight tubes. XTR kit is similar (2x10 here), fork is 70g lighter here, Stem+headset+bar is pretty much the same (yours being maybe 50~g lighter) and this one having a Thompson elite seatpost (say, 100g heavier?) wheels are 1520g, brakes the same, seat is 180g...

Reason I even brought this up was, we've previously tried to get a spark10 as light as possible with Fox forks and we didn't hit 10kg even though the spark is a full 200+g lighter just in the frame.

Anyway I know our bike weighs 10.55, your bike probably does weigh 9.8 considering it's been on two separate scales a multiple of times. Cheap scales don't work but giving this the benefit of the doubt.

Let us know how the 1.5 feels after it's been out on a good ride :)
Who do you work for ? are you sort of a big deal around here Ron .

~XTC~

Likes Bikes
Drink bottle clearance, I run a tall bottle. I saw the bike shop owners running his that way and he said it made it easier.

You will love the ride, I have never had a duallie before and the way this thing jumps is amazing, the Kashima shocks are so smooth and the front end is so direct.

Oh and as for weight mine is 10.68 with CB candy pedals, bottle cage and frame skins, since the official weigh in I have trimmed the steerer and seatpost of excess and put the standard seatpost clamp back on loosing 60g. Take the pedals and frame skin off I am easily 10.3, fizik gobi seat is heavy too, I can see how yours can be sub 10.

Change it to 1x10 and you will be lighter again, good build!!

Last edited:

Crittski

Likes Dirt
My 3x10 large 2010 Blur XCc is 10.9kg with 1.54kg wheel set, fox 120 FIT RLC, XTR everything bar XT brakes, with tubeless EXO Ikon, and LUST crossmark, thomson seat post, and stem, truvativ noir bars, and ODI grips. This includes bottle cage, xtr pedals, wireless cat eye computer, contour camera mounts.

IMO 9.8kg is feasible with the funds and research... only thing that matters is the grin I have riding the bloody thing though...