2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy C

taibo

Eats Squid
Coming from a Blur XC carbon, this bike is idiot proof and I love it! All the stuff they say about 29ers is true :fat:
Not quite as snappy as the Blur XC and definitely a little bit slower to get up to speed but it eats up the rough stuff so well. Taking the new A line down Pork barrel at Stromlo at last weekend's race was just awesome, just point and shoot! Blur XC is more fun to ride though.
Cant wait to for this weekend's Capital Punishment 100!!!

Full XTR build with 3T Team Black post, bars and stem and Stan's Crest wheelset.

Proof i ride all my bikes :)

All clean...

Last edited:

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Tallboy

Nice rig mate, how do you find the wheels? I just ordered a Tallboy LTc and im looking for some good wheels...

Boxer

Likes Dirt
I am test riding a Tallboy this week - yet to try it.

Love the look of yours too - interested in feedback

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not many 29ers I like the look of, but that looks badass :) Never ridden a 29er actually, wouldn't mind having a spin on it sometime.. size S though I'm guessing, or M ?

taibo

Eats Squid
Wheels are awesome...I did 3 laps around stromlo with 15psi in the rear. Hits some stray rocks then I realised I had nearly burped all the air out of it. No dings or dents and are still true. I'm also 75kg and no the smoothest of riders :) @ approx. $600 and 1500 and something grams, choice was easy. Just remember to order 15mm thru axle end caps if you ate running 15mm. Wheels shipped from supplier with yellow Tim tape and tubeless valve installed. Got tyres on using track pump.

Make sure you set up the sag on the rear properly. I found the recommended psi on the Santa Cruz website pretty spot on. Too much or too little and the VPP doesn't feel right. Had the same thing on my Blur XCc. I'm also running 100mm fork and it feels perfect. 120mm I recon if you want more of a trail bike.

MJS...you can take it for a spin anytime you want mate! But be warned...you may convert :)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can deal with you riding a 29er, but bar ends! If you must use them at least find a 90s purple ano set! :p

Nice looking bike Tai. :)

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Well I am back from my 25km test ride of the Tallboy and to say I'm impressed is an understatement - you are very lucky to own this bike.

The test bike had full XT,
WTB rims with DT Swiss hubs and spokes,
Fox Talas 90-120mm FIT forks
Fox Kashima coat RP23
Easton stem and bars
Thomson post
Maxxis Crossmarks F&R

It was quite a bit heavier than I expected at 11.5kgs (large frame) without pedals, my Anthem is similar in the spec I have it (The Tallboy was not tubeless however)

I lowered the front pressure to how they supplied it to me (31PSI) to 24 and the rear I kept at 30PSI, if tubeless I would have gone lower.

I am amazed at how this bike gives the feeling of a hardtail - but has compliance, it floats over the trail trash but it doesn't give that mushy feeling most duallys do at all. Even through G-outs it feels solid and firm, just like a hardtail, without that bash in the pants.

Bombing down Nutcracker I did the fastest I ever have - it just soaked it up and felt very stable and planted to the trail.

My only negative was it was not as nimble as I'd hoped - the XTC 29er composite that rode with me today was much more playful and turned more eagerly (expected), but when we swapped bikes - he commented he now wants to save for one :D

Wow - just Wow

I was thinking about keeping the Anthem 29er and getting a hardtail and have two bikes, one for each type of terrain I ride and the HT for racing,

But I am thinking maybe the Tallboy could do both

Will it be more nimble in a medium size? I am 178cms

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
Tallboy

Hey mate Im in the same state
Ive got trance 2011 x1 &
xtc comp 2012
Tallboy? I want!!!???
Ian
Q opinon?

Well I am back from my 25km test ride of the Tallboy and to say I'm impressed is an understatement - you are very lucky to own this bike.

The test bike had full XT,
WTB rims with DT Swiss hubs and spokes,
Fox Talas 90-120mm FIT forks
Fox Kashima coat RP23
Easton stem and bars
Thomson post
Maxxis Crossmarks F&R

It was quite a bit heavier than I expected at 11.5kgs (large frame) without pedals, my Anthem is similar in the spec I have it (The Tallboy was not tubeless however)

I lowered the front pressure to how they supplied it to me (31PSI) to 24 and the rear I kept at 30PSI, if tubeless I would have gone lower.

I am amazed at how this bike gives the feeling of a hardtail - but has compliance, it floats over the trail trash but it doesn't give that mushy feeling most duallys do at all. Even through G-outs it feels solid and firm, just like a hardtail, without that bash in the pants.

Bombing down Nutcracker I did the fastest I ever have - it just soaked it up and felt very stable and planted to the trail.

My only negative was it was not as nimble as I'd hoped - the XTC 29er composite that rode with me today was much more playful and turned more eagerly (expected), but when we swapped bikes - he commented he now wants to save for one :D

Wow - just Wow

I was thinking about keeping the Anthem 29er and getting a hardtail and have two bikes, one for each type of terrain I ride and the HT for racing,

But I am thinking maybe the Tallboy could do both

Will it be more nimble in a medium size? I am 178cms

taibo

Eats Squid
haven't weighed mine yet...but im guessing around the 11kg mark. I dare say the wheelset is quiet heavy in the test/demo bikes. Definitely the first upgrade should you buy with SC build kit.

I run 32psi up front and 30 rear and find that a good balance.

With Pro'-pedal on, the bike nearly has no bob on 13% tarmac. And i love the out of saddle pedaling/mashing ability of this bike. I believe it may be a 29er thing, but Im a sit and spin rider and since riding this bike, getting out of the saddle on steep climbs is awesome! When sitting and spinning, front end stays planted. The bike really shines when riding over loose baby head rocks, just look ahead and keep pedaling. This bike eats tech stuff for breakfast! Front end is precise and stiff

Not ridden any other 29er, i cant say how it handles compared to other 29ers. It's definitely not as sharp my old Merida Ninety-Six. Positioning and geo feels very much like my Blur XC which i ran with a 120mm fork. Compared to the 26er, wheelbase is only 25mm longer. It also feels more like you are sitting in the bike rather than on top. Im 170cm and ride the medium with 90mm stem.

Tallboy lt wheels

Nice rig mate, how do you find the wheels? I just ordered a Tallboy LTc and im looking for some good wheels...
Hey Bretto , I am also waiting for my SCTBLtc , and have
Been getting bits together . The wheelset I ended up going with
Are the Stans Flow Rims/ Swiss Comp Spokes/ Chris King Hubs and
Schawble Hans Damph 29 x 2.35 tyres ....all up around $1530

Bretto172

Likes Dirt
Hey Bretto , I am also waiting for my SCTBLtc , and have
Been getting bits together . The wheelset I ended up going with
Are the Stans Flow Rims/ Swiss Comp Spokes/ Chris King Hubs and
Schawble Hans Damph 29 x 2.35 tyres ....all up around $1530
Hey mate, cheers for that. What weight did the they end up approx? Ive been looking at the Easton Havens but I've heard conflicting reports on the hub quality.. The new 2013 mavics look good but are a long way away..

Last edited:
Wheel weight

Hi Bretto my wheels complete with cassette , 180mm
Rotors and tyres have a combined weight of 4.5kg.
Cheers