VIC 2012 State XC Championships - Mt Avoca on 18/11 (not 9/12?)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Got this in the inbox today... I might be confusing it with something else but I thought this was supposed to be on Dec 9?

2012 State XC Championship - Mt Avoca

Sunday 18th November

The Victorian State XC Championships will be held at Mt Avoca - Riders will race 8 laps of the 6-7k course around the vinyard of the Mt Avoca Winery - the 2011 XC State Series was held on the same course, and had great reviews.

Entry is $40 and $25 for all Under 19s

Categories:
8 Laps: Elite Men
6 Laps: Elite Women, Vet Men, Expert Men, U19
5 Laps: Masters, Vet Women, Expert Women, Sport Men, U17
4 Laps: Sport Women, U15, Super Masters

AlanT

Likes Dirt
Yes - I can confirm that Big Hill Events will be holding the 2012 State XC Championships on Sunday the 18th of November at the Mt Avoca Winery.

Riders will race 8 laps of the 6-7k course around the vinyard of the Mt Avoca Winery - the 2011 XC State Series was held on the same course, and had great reviews.

Entry is $40 and $25 for all Under 19s

Categories:
8 Laps: Elite Men
6 Laps: Elite Women, Vet Men, Expert Men, U19
5 Laps: Masters, Vet Women, Expert Women, Sport Men, U17
4 Laps: Sport Women, U15, Super Masters

More information and map on the website
Entry through Entry Zone

Any other questions, shoot them up here or contact us directly - info@bighillevents.com.au

AlanT

Likes Dirt
yeah same I would like to know if the track can be ridden on saturday cause i know there is another event being run on saturday??
Yes - part of our trail running event on the Saturday is using the course; therefore the MTB course will be open from 4pm on Saturday 17th.

AlanT

Likes Dirt
WE NEED YOUR HELP!

On Saturday the 17th we are holding a Trail Running event and we need a MTBer who can ride behind the last runner on the 21.5k course.

We would need you at Mt Avoca winery at 8:15am on the Saturday, you'll be briefed and transported to the top of the trail. You'll be giong at a slow pace, collecting course signage and letting marshals know that there are no runners behind you.

Please get in contact on info@bighillevents.com.au if you'd like more info.

sossy

Saucier
I dare day they will come when the crew have finished up packing up and have Internet access. Keep your hair on.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Elite men:
1. Peter K
2. Michael C.
3. Rohin A.

1,2,3 were separated by 2 seconds.

Elite women
1. Myriam G.
2. Melissa A.
3. Kim M.

Will let Rohin and co. publish the official results when they get time :)

johndh

Likes Dirt
I enjoyed the state champs track was fast ( under 19 rider Chris Hamilton averaged over 29km per hour by result )and quite a bit of fire road but what single trail there was¶ was virgin track that got better throughout the race. Maybe lacked a more technical bit but the venue was great and so was the weather. Bring on more xc racing

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unfortunately I couldn't make the race this year, but if it was anything like last year i'm sure it was a pleasure to race!

My question for everyone is why the race does not seem to attract a huge field?
Looking at the results, there only seemed to be 10-15 people per category (the bigger ones at that).
I'm not directing this at the organisers, just seems a shame that we can't get huge fields together to see where they stand amongst the rest of Victoria.

There are so many people who throw a leg over an XC bike in all the different formats these days, it would be great to see this race hold some serious prestige!

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
It was a reasonably long way to travel for a less than 2hour race, I drove up on the day, and it was over 4hours of driving.

As a State Champs, the main fields are always going to be Juniors and Elite. The Juniors had pretty good attendance in comparison to other State rounds. Elite was a little light in comparison with previous years (although 12 riders isn't bad) although I know the timing of the year is more in a training Phase for next year for most riders.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I get that Ben, just pondering out loud. My younger brother was a motocross racer a few years back, the state titles drew huge fields across all categories!
It was only a discussion with him that made me even think about our situation.

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
I don't think driving time should play a huge factor in whether people are going to races. You can't always expect MTB events to be held on your doorstep. As we know there are many fantastic riding venues spread all over the state which are worth the drive to get there.
I've been to most of the VES rounds over the last few years and a lot of them have involved a whole weekend away. Yes you get to ride for 6 hours but I don't see it as a favorable drive time vs race time ratio, I go because I want to race enduros, along with about 200 other people.
If people really want to race XC then they would get themselves there. Maybe riders find this level of competition intimidating or would expect that the course would be overly difficult. Or maybe the elite riders don't bother because they think there isn't the level of prestige there once was.
Just thinking of that youtube clip from the National round held at Avoca in the late 90's where there were 400 competitors AND WIN news covering the racing. Surely the sport has grown in numbers since then and we get to ride much more capable and safer bikes, but maybe people are just not that into the harder racing? Apart from the juniors, they are all over it!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Maybe it's just over saturation of events?? Look at the calendar of what events have either been and gone Scott 24hr, Surfcoast, Golden Epic Bendigo and Buxton 6hr. Or what is coming over the next few weeks and maybe people are deciding if its to be a weekend away for a race 12Apostles this weekend, Forest Festival next, Gazebo 3hr (not a weekend) are more feasible options. These are races that I can think of without having to research..

Don't get me wrong Big Hill Events run a fantastic event, I personally think people are spoilt with options and aren't spoilt with money, time or availability to go participate at all these fantastic venues and therefore have to make decisions of where they go.

Quiggs

Virage Vitesse

Likes Bikes
Yes thats true there are many events to choose from and you can't do them all, but now you have the option to just do the events that you 'specialize' in, instead of going to a race just because there is a race.
And fitness and timing may be an issue (as Benizmo mentioned) if you are preparing for a goal event you may be inclined to give others a miss in the lead-up.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I know I can't attend every race I want to because I have other "life" stuff like birthdays, family stuff, road rides(?!) etc.
Having said that the XC race at Avoca was great! Super fast but still very "hurty" - it was 100% effort the whole time. After the first lap I remember thinking "jesus I got 5 more of these - how am I going to get through without having a bloody heart attack?", but one just works through it. And crossing the finish line always brings a huge level of satisfaction :)