2013 Kona Operator - Thoughts?

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hey everyone,

So I am pretty close to picking up a 2013 Kona Operator as an upgrade from my 2006 Giant DH COMP.

I've been doing some reading, and there have been some frame strength issues with the Kona's, in recent times. I see a lot of broken 2012 Operators but not many images of broken 2013's.

The reasons I am looking at the Kona are:

- Almost new (1 year old is nearly new to me)
- Under my budget. I have $1500 to play with
- Large frame! Seems that large size DH bikes are quite rare.

Thoughts?

go for it.

I've owned a few kona's and never had any issues.. the only gripe i have with kona is that they are little on the heavy side but its a good excuse to work a little harder ;-)

If its only a year old the frame should still be under warranty? but i think its only valid for original owner..

Until i can afford a santa cruz ill probably keep buying kona.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
go for it.

I've owned a few kona's and never had any issues.. the only gripe i have with kona is that they are little on the heavy side but its a good excuse to work a little harder ;-)

If its only a year old the frame should still be under warranty? but i think its only valid for original owner..

Until i can afford a santa cruz ill probably keep buying kona.
You won't be dissapointed with the Operator. Like this guy^^^^^^^^

Last edited:

jcweston351

Likes Dirt
I went from an upgraded 2002 DH comp small frame to a 2011 operator medium frame, best thing I ever did... The Kona is light compared to a lot of other DH bikes (not much heavier than the new carbon bike) & the Geo is good, super smooth, the 2013/14 is the best of the alloy frames as Kona refined & strengthened the frame, shorter chainstays make cornering better as well as some other small changes. I have the 2011 & it's still going strong, no cracks & it was mean't to be one of the breaky ones?

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
And... the operator deal was dodgey. Pulled out but still keeping an eye out.

Thanks for the input though guys, much appreciated.

Kona entourage

why don't you try a Kona Entourage? YVC has two large frame entourages for $2000 each! Brand new.

I was there yesterday and bought a medium, definitely happy with the buy! they might be sold out but if they haven't definitely a great buy!