2013 Nationals

driftking

Wheel size expert
2103 that's thinking ahead...you got a good 91 years of training, hopefully you win hey.

2013 nationals I haven't heard much about it,I'm guessing you are referring to the national champs and not the series, still got a while to go.

Last edited:

Markymark188

Likes Dirt
Guessing...

My guess - east coast..

Champs stromlo or Canberra elsewhere- and a heap of other races in Vic..

Just guessing tho..!

serowe

Likes Dirt
2013 nationals I haven't heard much about it,I'm guessing you are referring to the national champs and not the series, still got a while to go.
Not really - usually held Jan/Feb period so you are only 6-7 months away which, for a supposedly 'elite' competition isn't much time at all. Even a date (with a 2-4 week period) would assist anyone making plans.

akashra

Eats Squid
I can assure you that a plan is in place for the hosting of both the 2013 National Series and the 2013 National Championships, and that when this is ready to be announced, it will happen. I totally agree that it's not ideal that the dates of future championship and series events aren't announced by the time of the previous years event, however everyone involved is doing their best to ensure this comes along quickly and smoothly.

In the meantime I would suggest that anyone who has comments on what they did and didn't like seeing at this years events gets that feedback out there to either your rider reps or other committee members so we can try to ensure the good continues and bad is rectified for those events being planned. Requests for cooler weather will be filed under 'le Sigh' ;)

driftking

Wheel size expert
Not really - usually held Jan/Feb period so you are only 6-7 months away which, for a supposedly 'elite' competition isn't much time at all. Even a date (with a 2-4 week period) would assist anyone making plans.
8 or 9 months....
Does the venue really change training this early on though? Obviously training will be specified to specific tracks but I'd think at this point most people who be prepping for other races or for those who are only riding champs? Would be in a base development phase.

serowe

Likes Dirt
Not to start an argument - we are now just about in June - 8-9 months from now is Mar/Apr...

And note I said 'make plans' not just training. Travel, accomodation and time of work also have to be arranged by many. And then, ofcourse, they want their training to peak at just the right time. As Tim said - it is being arranged and maybe now, with new faces on MTBA, the future will see dates announceed well in advance unlike in previous years.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Not to start an argument - we are now just about in June - 8-9 months from now is Mar/Apr...

And note I said 'make plans' not just training. Travel, accomodation and time of work also have to be arranged by many. And then, ofcourse, they want their training to peak at just the right time. As Tim said - it is being arranged and maybe now, with new faces on MTBA, the future will see dates announceed well in advance unlike in previous years.
We are about to finish up may so we still all of june so that needs to be counted, that is 7 months till jan so depending when it is held could be closer to 8. feb is 8 and again could be closer to 9 if it is held later in the month so let me correct and say 7-8 months. :)

I was not thinking about travel and accommodation I didn't think that was something that needs to be sorted out so early on but I guess it is always good to know and get it sorted early so you don't need to worry about it.

akashra

Eats Squid
Venues have now been announced for the full 2013 series, National Championships, and Oceania Championships.
The initial source document can be found here, but a full, detailed press release will be available soon.

For those too lazy to do the clicky-clicky thing:
MTBA said:
Round 1:
Mt Buller, Vic
January 16 - 20

Round 2:
Thredbo, NSW
February 6 - 10

National MTB Championships
Canberra, ACT
February 19 - 24

Round 3:
Bright, Vic
March 13 - 17

Oceania MTB Championships
Glenorchy, Tas
March 27 - 31

johndh

Likes Dirt
Might even consider having a race in the "Old boys" races if they are scheduled on a weekend eg sat or sun not a thurs or fri as with last year!

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
Good locations for those of us in Vic who want to do the Series.

What's the Bright location like? Where are the trails that will be used? I get up there on the road bike but haven't looked around on the mtb.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Bright does have some good trails, not sure about being the best in the country, but they are good fun flowing single trail.

johndh

Likes Dirt
Just noticed that the nationals in Canberra clash with the Otway Odyssey on 16th Feb that will make it interesting considering the drawing power of the Odyssey with xc riders.