2013 Rocky Mountain element vs Altitude

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I'm in the quite pleasant but nonetheless difficult situation of trying to decide which bike is going to be my new steed. I am deciding between the Rocky Mountain element 970 rsl bc edition and the Rocky Mountain altitude 770 msl.

I currently own a 2011 altitude which i am selling and have just sold my glory.

Here is my predicament, I want a bike to do some xc enduro races AND do the all mountain series races- which I am more competitive at.

However my usual riding spots are lysterfield, upper beac, youies, buxton

Not the most techie riding.

I love my current altitude but its a tad weighty and I'm now in a financial position to spend a bit more on a bike.

Also I'm 6'5 and the element comes in an xxl whereas the altitude is an xl which I am on now and it's a tiiiny bit small.

If I want an altitude I have to wait until October but element is available now

Have read all the reviews available. But can't test as no one has any in stock ATM.

I know these are two very different bikes . Just want to throw some ideas, comments, suggestions ride report around to ease my mind

Cheers guys

125PHIL

Likes Dirt
im riding everything on my BC edition. Its alot of fun to ride, and ive had no issues riding the places you have mentioned.
for XC chuck on a longer stem, but i did the Elevation MT Beauty round and had no worrys on the BC.
The 650 may be to much bike for alot of local stuff in Vic, but i do want one for when i go to Whistler next year as there bigger XC stuff there would eat the element.

i came off a 120mm 26 dually to go the 100mm/120mm 29r and its been great.

both bikes are nice you will be able to do everything on either.

chuckrockswell

iRide Bikes
Element!

Get the Element BC, its a no brainer.

The Altitude is an amazing bike, but for what you want to do the Element is much better suited. Also, purely on the sizing an XXL Element will fit you like a glove, whereas once again, for the riding you do the Altitude is going to be short due to the 'straight up' geometry. Whilst the Element is an 'XC' bike, it is extremely capable with its north shore heritage. The BC obvioulsy comes with an adjustable front end and a dropper post, so its going to be ready to party even more. I do a lot of xc/enduro's on my 999 Element, but to put it into perspective I'll be using the 999 for the upcoming all mountain race at the youies. An Element BC would kill it. The Altitude is just a little long in the legs and a bit portly for xc racing.

One of our riders Nick Rudzki placed top 5 in Elite in all the Elevation Races this year on his Element 26". The same bike he uses to race dirt crits and the Vic Enduro Series.

Hope that's been helpfull dude, you'll love the Element!

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys. Im sort of in the same mindset. Basically my mind tells me Element and my heart tells me Altitude

Element: lighter, faster, better size etc

Altitude: the fun of going xc riding and launching of every obstacle in sight sideways. Also my dream of travelling OS with just one bike this fits the bill - I did a trip earlier in the year to NZ with my current altitude and did every trail on the spectrum from Gnarly DH to road haha.

I reckon 70% of the time the Element would rule and the 30% when speed, times and efficiency don't matter the Altitude reigns

T.3

Likes Dirt
I own a 2012 RM Element 970. The only mods from stock I have made is a shorter 80mm stem and a dropper post. For an XC bike I find it punches well above it's weight in technical stuff, which isn't to say it doesn't pedal well either, it does.

It obviously has it's limits in technical stuff but they are further than the specs would suggest. From my experience the new BC edition with it's lighter carbon frame, 120mm fork and fatter tyres than the 970 would make this bike my pick.

Hope that helps.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Unless your really need carbon get the instinct! Ahhhh its driving me crazy.. lol

Its smack between the two has the same adjust ability as the altitudes and is a awesome bike. 130mm travel front and rear.

dA_bOmBbIkE

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'm not too keen on the instinct. It's a bit too much of a tweener for me. I think it would probably do a worse job of both tasks. Still a very cool bike- just not for me... And it's too heavy

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey I ride a 2011 Altitude 70 RSL, and quite like it. It sounds like we ride the same places, if it was my choice i would be getting on to the Altitude. The geo changes they have made solve some stuff i'd like to change on my current bike, though i tend to ride trails at a quite leisurely pace until the speed or obstacles pick up then i attack like it's race day. I am also 6'4" though i only ride a Large at the moment which is a wee bit small but suits the attack style okay. I completely understand your head vs heart problem because i really don't think the terrain i ride needs the altitude travel, it's just more fun i guess?

I'm definitely hooked on the 'straight-up' geo on the rocky's really think it works very well. You can't go wrong really, just think which one will you regret not having when you are out on the trail?

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'm not too keen on the instinct. It's a bit too much of a tweener for me. I think it would probably do a worse job of both tasks. Still a very cool bike- just not for me... And it's too heavy
Yeah I can see your point, its not so different to the BC edition Element same front end more or less just not carbon, and the rear of the BC is alloy and has less travel.

I just figured when your considering the BC for the extra travel and slacker angles when you compare the two its only the front triangle that differs and the extra travel on the rear of the instinct.

Also I used to ride a Slayer and went to this, and Im much faster on the Instinct. But if carbon is a must then I would look into the BC for sure.