2013 Scott Spark 920

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
I am looking to buy a 2013 Scott Spark 920. Had a look at a 930 yesterday and I have just sold my 2009 Scale 50. Can Sydney based rotor-burners give me some guidance on a good LBS who knows these bikes, will do a proper fitting/setup and is okay to deal with.

Did a search on Bike Exchange and found the cheapest in inner suburbia but I bought my last Scott off them and find them a little disinterested. Went in there this morning and they couldn't tell me a lot about the range and didn't seem all that interested in selling me anything. Ordinarily I wouldn't care but I really want to get the size and fit right before I buy and when asked they were not really keen unless I was prepared to buy a road bike (which I am not).

Looked at Velosophy yesterday but they are selling it at full retail which is about $500 more than this other shop I have dealt with in the past. Hence my question to members here - how are they to deal with and do you recommend any other shops that have a good knowledge of Scott's 2013 range. The is a place in Penshurst that carries them and is keen but they don't do fitting - they just kind of get you to stand over the bike and there you go sort of thing. Made that mistake last time so I want to try something more methodical this time before I place the order.

Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
tony.

avanti narrabeen

i got my scott from avanti in narrabeen and they have always been very good regarding tech info ect
they matched price for me as well so worth a phone call

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
One more question - has anyone compared the 2013 Scott Spark range with the 2013 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon. They are at the same price point but I am leaning towards Scott because of the fox forks, twin lock and consistent use of off the shelf components.

thanks

wavike

Likes Dirt
One more question - has anyone compared the 2013 Scott Spark range with the 2013 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon. They are at the same price point but I am leaning towards Scott because of the fox forks, twin lock and consistent use of off the shelf components.

thanks
The specialized brain is expensive to service and something you either love or hate. 15mm fox forks instead of QR Reba a bit of a plus also on the Scott. But it gets back to which rides the best for you.

OliRas

Likes Bikes
End of year sale

If you want to get a good discount wait until the very end of the year when they want to get rid of all their bikes. that's how I got mine.

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
I finally got around to getting some snaps - took it out to Loftus Oval this morning. Have also had it down The Oaks and St Helenas trails in the past few weeks. It is a great bike. Very happy with the choice, price and ride.

Love the twinloc also. It was the reason I chose this bike and I am really stoked with it.

Last edited:

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
ok - so it is fun to ride. I find the twinloc fantastic for expanding the capabilities of this bike. Rather than buy a second bike (commuter or road or hybrid) I just want to grab a second set of wheels with some more suited tyres. Here are the specs on it at the moment;

(Front)
Hub - Syncros XR 2.5 29 IT / 15mm
Spokes - DT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm
Rims - Syncros / DT Swiss XR 2.5 29 32H
Fork -15mm QR axle / tapered steerer
Brakes - 180/F mm SM-RT66 IT Rotor
Tires - Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO / 29 x 2.25 / 127EPI Kevlar Bead

(Rear)
Hub - Syncros XR 2.5 29 IT / RWS
Cassette - Shimano CS-HG81-10 11-36 T
Chain - Shimano CN-HG54
Spokes - DT Swiss Champion Black 1.8mm
Rims - Syncros / DT Swiss XR 2.5 29 32H
Brakes - 160/R mm SM-RT66 IT Rotor
Tires - Schwalbe Rocket Ron EVO / 29 x 2.25 / 127EPI Kevlar Bead

I saw someone in Brisvegas with a new set of the same rims on BikeExchange for $699 which seems a tad exxy. What do others recommend as a good set of second wheels. I can either take these off and use them as commuter rims/tyres and put a newer set of lighter wheels on for MTB or just something good for commuting. Feel free to suggest some better MTB tyres as well as rims. I am likely to buy from wiggle/CRC or something local/2nd hand if the price is right.

Budget for both front and rear complete is around $400-600.

thanks

jarv

Likes Bikes
If i were you i would use your existing wheels for commuting and purchase some Stans Crest or Arches depending on you weight and whether you want to do some racing.I would look at the ones from CRC which have the Hope hubs which seem to have less bearing issues.These wheels are great for going tubeless.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I agree with above.

Get some hope hoops with crest off wiggle for about $350 a set when on sale, buys some slicks and a tubeless kit at the same time for less then $450 all up! this is exactly what I have done with my genius except with heavier flow ex rims. stockies are now road wheels for commuting (not that i like leaving it unattended).

only down side is they probobly wont match your paint like your current rims! you could probobly remove the no tubes stickers and just put on the fluro green hope hoops stickers that come with them which might work ok. shame to ruin a beautiful bike with mismatched colours. im lucky my bikes black and red so no tubes look stock!

Kojarena

Likes Bikes
I ended up buying a road bike - so no need for a wheel upgrade after all. I do want to upgrade the stem, bars and seatpost to carbon. CRC has some good deals on at the moment but what do people here recommend?

My choices are somewhat limited by a 34.9mm seatpost, 31.8mm stem and 31.8 bars. So far I have it narrowed down to a Ritchey WCS Carbon seatpost 2012 model($116), a Truvativ Noir T30 Riser Bars 2012 ($109) OR Race Face Next SL Carbon Riser Bars ($153) and either a ControlTech Estro Carbon MTX Stem ($99) or a Crank Brothers Cobalt 11 Carbon Stem ($164).

Any thoughts or advice?

thanks...