2013 Snow Thread

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
just booked my bucks in august at earnslow lodge

there were cheaper places to stay but they seemed further out of the middle of town & i like me some late night k-bab :heh:

im hoping cos they are a smaller hotel they might be keen to come get us from airport and help shuttle us around too VS big chain hotel

cameron_15

Eats Squid
What do you mean by lack of pressure under the bindings?

Edit: Just saw the link...Yeah, $640 is pretty good for a local buy. You could probably get it a bit cheaper if you get it sent over from the States, but that would require some organisation...Does Melbourne have a dry slope somewhere? Or a dry ramp? See if you can demo one first and feel what it's like underfoot. I'd probably get it if I were you though. Hell, if I wasn't going to Canada next season I'd likely buy it myself. Keep in mind though that it won't be fantastic in most Japanese Powder, and is too long to be really playful around the mountain. It's a pretty good compromise though.

Edit2: It might be worth looking at DC boards if you're concerned about price. I'm not sure what the rules are in Australia but I know in NZ they're priced identical to the US, exchange rate aside. I rode two boards at a demo day last season and whilst I wasn't blown away, I wasn't really disappointed.
Bindings is probably not the right place, it's more the ends I guess. I just found it a bit harder to control on steeper terrain as I was only getting feedback from the center of the board and not the ends, which is what I'm used too.

I went and had a look at boards today and the sales assistants both recommended either the Travis rice or a GNU rider's choice board. Both are on sale at the moment and are similarly (well) priced. They also had the travis rice Horsepower on sale too, but that was about $150 more and I'm not entirely sure as to it's benefit's over the standard travis rice pro.

The next decision I need to make is bindings. I have no real idea. I Just want something reasonably stiff and light and was presented with 4 or 5 sets of bindings, all of which looked liked bindings to me. My pick was the union contact pro, only because they're super light and the build quality looked top notch. But for the most part I found myself looking at a wall of pretty colours .. Any suggestions/recommendations? I'm particularly concerned with longevity and durability, as the board is going to be piled into the back of vans frequently and I don't want something that'll be easily damaged.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I ran cartels for 3 seasons, including 2 riding hard every day and they were and still are fanrastic. Changed it up to the ride bindings with one clicker just for a change.. seem pretty good but n ow I need boots with a rounder toe to stop pinching.

The cartels were amazing though. Flexy and stiff in all the right places and HOT PINK

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nope, bindings fall into two pretty broad categories for me, flexy and stiff. Unless they're at a particular end of the spectrum, I don't really notice a difference.

Cartels, Union etc. etc. are all good. Pick something colourful.

Last edited:

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, it should hardly be a big surprise though. Snow Park hasn't been profitable for a few years now, and they were losing tens of thousands of dollars with each big event they threw.

Hopefully Cardies will be putting a few more features into their park this year to make up for it.

Fridge-Seal

Likes Bikes
A couple of mates and I got a sick deal up at Perisher-heading up there as soon as we finish our end of session exams. Luckily we finish at exactly the same day and time.

apart from that will hopefully be going skiing in falls a couple of times during the uni break.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
A couple of mates and I got a sick deal up at Perisher-heading up there as soon as we finish our end of session exams. Luckily we finish at exactly the same day and time.

apart from that will hopefully be going skiing in falls a couple of times during the uni break.
Did that in 06. Worst season on record but we scored the best weekend. Almost a ft of fresh to enjoy. Sorry for tracking everything out if u visited in the last 2 months of 06

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, just thought here would be a good place for some advice.

So, this year will be my first year at the snow to be snowboarding.
It is a school trip, 5 days at buller. So we will have a 2 hour lesson every day, then the rest of the day of free time.
First time to buller in the snow season and first time snowboarding.

tips? little handy hints to help get me started?
any help will be appreciated.

cheers

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid

It is a school trip, 5 days at buller. So we will have a 2 hour lesson every day, then the rest of the day of free time.

cheers
Do the lessons.
Do pay attention
Dont ride drunk
Dont push yourself
Do get shitfaced after hours
Do root HEAPS of snow bunnies
Dont pretend you're a local, they'll know and embarress you
Do eat fresh snow as it falls even if its 4am and you cant see
Dont lick a frozen pole (metal or otherwise)
Do love it, get addicted, do a season or 4, travel for better snow and tell anybody that you see about it all. The snow is actually the best thing in the history of anything and it aint gonna last.

HAVE FUN!!

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
you hiring gear?

i recommend chucking in a few extra $$$ to upgrade from the elcheapo to the entry-level shop gear hire option

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Do whatever you can to get fitter before you go. You'll be surprised how tough boarding for five straight days is.
Wear a helmet.
Set a couple of goals - like landing a 180 or grab by the end of the week. Go hard but avoid daft risks.
Remember to look up and enjoy the view.

Snow is good. You will totally love it.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of background. Yes we are hiring gear, but that is all under the schools control, so im not sure what sort of stuff we will be getting there
The snowboarders for this camp have to wear helmets and wrist guards. Helmets im okay with, but wrist guards?
as it is a school camp, there will be no alcohol or none of the females allowed back into the cabins :frusty:
but hey, who follows school rules anyway.

My brother did the same trip, and is now hooked, and has promised me a trip up there when his uni and my school holidays meet (and there is snow on the mountain of course)
im rather excited to say the least though!

Dougy

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately being a school group your ear will most likely suck. It'll do the job but certainly don't judge the experience by the gear you'll be given. Wrist guards are not a bad idea for beginners as the most common injury at that time is sprained wrists as people try to break their fall by putting their hands down. The most important thing to remember when learning to snowboard is to keep your knees bent. You imagine hitting a jump on your bike and standing straight up. How unstable does it feel? You can always pick the beginners as they have bent backs and their arses sticking out. Keep your back straight, knees bent, and weight evenly distributed over both feet. Another beginner mistake is leaning back with their weight on the back foot. This lifts the front of the board and makes it hard to turn.

Snowboarding is great fun but like anything learn the basics first. I've been snowboarding since the early 90s, and done more than my fair share of seasons in Aus, NZ, Canada, and Japan and I see too many kids in terrain parks trying to slide rails etc yet they can barely ride back to the lift. You don't go ride skinnies on your bike before you can ride the trail do you. Ride the mountain not just the park and you'll have more fun and improve much quicker. Most of all have fun as there's nothing better than spending a day on the hill, riding with your mates and trying not to piss yourself when they all eat shit.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt

cheers
To quote my snowboard instructor years ago: Bend like a banana and hang loose.

Which turns out is actually pretty good advice. Bent knees, nice low center of gravity and a relaxed as opposed to rigid stance will make everything easier. And it is an easy criteria to check on while you are riding-if you aren't bent like a banana or you are riding rigid, fix it!

Otherwise, have fun, be adventurous and expect to hurt like hell at the end. You will have bruised most surfaces on your body. Any excercises to strengthen your calves and thighs you can do before you head out will make a world of difference, but you will still be sore as hell. And it is totally worth it!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon if you're only going for 5 days, take daft risks. Just keep your knees bent and stay loose. Remember to always look in the direction you want to go, and if you start to take off without control, throw yourself on the ground. The last thing you want to do is take out some poor bloke down the hill because you can't stop.

Oh, and wrist guards are good. Don't buy into this whole safety gear is for pussies thing, it's definitely worth it. Do as I say, not as I do.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
I reckon if you're only going for 5 days, take daft risks. Just keep your knees bent and stay loose. Remember to always look in the direction you want to go, and if you start to take off without control, throw yourself on the ground. The last thing you want to do is take out some poor bloke down the hill because you can't stop.

Oh, and wrist guards are good. Don't buy into this whole safety gear is for pussies thing, it's definitely worth it. Do as I say, not as I do.
If you're doing this, take the fall with your body. Don't put your arms out. The snow is good to fall on and you usually have some speed so you'll slide rather than get a solid impact.

And wear pads. . Even get a tailsaver. As a beginner you'll be sitting down alot (sometimes accidentally and at an awkward angle.),cold/wet arses and broken/bruised coccyx are about as fun as it sounds, especially when you're looking down the barrel of 6 more hours on snow for another 4 days without alcohol to numb the pain

Koper25

Likes Dirt
If you've never done it before, be prepared to be sore! lol. Not just from stacking, but because you're moving in ways that you wouldn't normally move.

Even though skating and snowboarding have a completely different feel, I've found that people that can skate, pick it up quicker than those who don't. Might be worth having a roll around on a board if you want some practice.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt

cheers
My tips...

- Get lessons - I bet people from your school will say lessons are 'gay' but they are def. worth it...if you are starting from scratch you will learn the proper way to ride!

- Wear a helmet - not only is it safe but it will keep your head warm! No need to buy one you should be able to hire!

If it's your first time to the snow it makes sense to hire your gear (it might be included in your package)...but I would strongly recommend you buy the following...

- Buy a good pair of goggles - it absolutely sucks when your goggles fog up and you can't see where you are going!

- Buy a good pair of gloves - again it sucks if your gloves get wet and your hands are freezing for the whole day...also remember you will be constantly undoing/doing up your bindings going up the lifts, so make sure your gloves allow you to operate your hands to do this!

- Buy a pair of ski/snowboard socks

If you buy good quality googles, gloves and socks they should last you quite a while!