2013 Tour Divide

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
I reckon these guys deserve their own thread!

So the Lemmings are gathering for the Grand Depart in a few hours. Record field of 141 riders. Good luck and safe travel to all. A few long haul travellers from Australia having a crack at it....

Aaron Pearson
Jesse Carlsson
Liam Crowley

maybe more that others can update?

Follow them over breakfast for the next few weeks

http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13

The Tour Divide challenge is based on one guiding principle: Cycle the GDMBR end-to-end, as fast as possible in a solo, self-supported fashion.

The Particulars:

Who: Any determined cyclist may challenge the Great Divide Route at any time, in either direction, to qualify for the Tour Divide (TD) General Classification (GC).
When: All summer long...however, an informal common start date known as the 'grand depart' traditionally kicks off the season 2nd week of June from both termini.
Spirit: Above all, attempts are intended to be solo / self-supported, self-timed, and observed as one stage, i.e. the clock runs non-stop. The challenge is complete upon arrival to the opposite GDMBR terminus from start. There are no required checkpoints or designated rest periods on course. There is no finish time cut-off, however, current convention considers a competitive Divide Route finish time as approximately 1.5 times (x) course records. Currently this = 25days (~110 mi/day) for men, and 29.5 days (93 mi/day) for women.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Tour Divide over 60 division thread.

Going to give it a crack next year Steve?? :) Slow and steady mate - right up your alley I reckon!
Maybe lad, stranger things have happened ...... but as one wag observed this is the most expensive 'free' bike race on the planet. Some of these dudes have pretty expensive rigs ... as we know saving weight costs bucks!

I'm cheering for these guys ... finally a bit of recognition and respect for us seniors! Goooo Larry!

http://www.bikepacking.net

Tour Divide over 60 division thread.

NAME Age
O'Brien, J.W. 60
McCready, Donald61
Kent Davidson 62
Carter, Glen M 62
Hodges, James 62
Nahmias, Yair 63
Russell, Hal M 64
Peschka, Bill 64
Ashton, Rick 66
Hipskind, Larry 72

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
A few more Aussies in the race

Hugh Harvey (VIC),
Gavin Wright (Qld),
Nick Hutton (QLD),
Adam Kiem (NSW)

Liam Crowley and Jess Carlsson riding together in 4th & 5th place all day.

Canuck Craig Stappler has put in a big day and after 40 hours has covered 725K and has gapped Brit Mike Hall by 50k during the day ... it's half past midnight and they they've both stopped riding for the night.

Jess & Liam have just arrived in Whitefish and look like they have found a bed just off the main road into town. Marco Nicoletti [Italy] has been stopped in town for a while for a feed and is now riding out of Whitefish. Did the same thing last night and went through till 1 or 2 in the morning.

Last edited:

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Hugh Harvey (VIC),

Jess & Liam have just arrived in Whitefish and look like they have found a bed just off the main road into town. Marco Nicoletti [Italy] has been stopped in town for a while for a feed and is now riding out of Whitefish. Did the same thing last night and went through till 1 or 2 in the morning.
They are still going. Must have stopped for second dinner.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
They are still going. Must have stopped for second dinner.

Yeah! Nice 1.00am meal, bottle of red, lets do another hour.......:smokin:

Holy shit! Do we have to watch these blokes for the next three weeks? Maybe they should introduce a 12HR daily time limit so we can have some down time. :ban:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Just wondering logistically, how would they clean their knicks, jerseys, etc? Hope they got a few spares otherwise someone is going to really smell :)

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Just wondering logistically, how would they clean their knicks, jerseys, etc? Hope they got a few spares otherwise someone is going to really smell :)
Stuff is going to get really smell, that's the deal. Baby wipes can only do so much.

Interestingly, I found on AZT that my gear actually smelt pretty good after 3 days in the same knicks. I can make a pair of knicks toxic in a few hours in Oz but due to the ridiculously low humidity over there, sweat evaporated so fast that things didn't get time to get smelly before they were dry.

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Five Aussies in top 21.

You'll have to practice your camping skills Court. No Winnebago tracking along behind you on this one!

Another Aussie has turned up, Walter Brumniach from Queensland. Currently in 14/15th riding alongside Hugh Harvey from Melbourne. The other Melbourne boys Liam and Jess holding strong in 3/4th.

Don't see these names in the local 100k sprints although obviously Jess Carlsson has some serious bike cred.

Special mention for Arron Pearson [Pizza on Rotoburn] who has moved into 21st place coming from back in the high 30's over the last 24hrs. Five Aussie riders in the top 21 doing us proud!

Arron on a SS belt drive and Walter on a 14speed Baum belt drive …. interesting choices.

Love the parental optimism on trackleaders.com for Adam Kiem [Maitland] at the back end of the field…

"your travelling well Adz.....obviously havn't been eaten by a bear yet, just make sure you have at least one rider behind you for a bear snack.."

quiggs

Likes Dirt
You'll have to practice your camping skills Court. No Winnebago tracking along behind you on this one!
Court camping I'd like to see that, I remember over christmas down at Forest when he looked in our camper trailer....
"Not bad, but where's the shower and toilet?"

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
hehehe what can I say - I'm precious :)

I have camped once - or rather I slept in a tent with a sleeping bag once - at the 2012 Mont 24 hour.

Even then I still managed to stuff something up - somehow half my sleep bag was outside of the tent and I was wondering why I was getting cold :)

I can't see myself camping for a while again!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
I love watching this from afar, with the mind in two places. Man they are crazy and the other side saying if only I was 10 yrs younger single and no kids i would be there have a go!

quiggs

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Jesse's put in a big day an looks like he's found a bed in Lima @ 1.00am. He's put 105 miles [inc 6500m of climbing] between himself and Liam since they split in Helena yesterday and now 'only' 54 miles behind Mike Hall. Liam took an early shower at 8.20pm and I reckon he'll up and away in a few hours unless he's crook. All the top ten are putting in some serious hours ... pretty good slimming program!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Mike Hall is on a massive charge at the moment, pulled back the gap to Craig Stappler and is only 15 or so miles (couple of hours) behind.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I think it's case of washing the gear if they bed down somewhere with a fixed roof or hitting the local laundromat.

I've heard Arran has been taking the opportunity to hand wash his clothes in the bathroom at a couple of places he's stayed...

JP

Likes Dirt
If you watch the movies "Ride the Divide", the Super Vegan goes for 2 weeks without a tub! Imagine the funky smell and crawling things on that guy.