2013 Tour Divide

fergo

Likes Dirt
Looks like Mike was stopped at Abiquiu due to the Thompson Ridge Fire to the south. He's now on a detour route west and then south to Cuba.

Anyone know if ALL riders now have to take the detour even if the fire is out and the course reopened? It cut out a really big climb.

Last edited:

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Fergo, l wouldn't think it will impact trailing riders if the area is deemed safe by the relative authorities.

There goes Mike Hall breaking Jay Petervary TD race record, as I understand once you deviate from the offical course trail, your attempt is no longer a legitimate recorded ride. Feel sorry for Mike, this will put Jesse into the offical lead :high5: provided he doesn't have to take the detoured route

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
notice the rules allow for 4 permitted deviations one would be just down from where MH is, otherwise looks like he's out of official running, why didn't he just wait it out?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://road.cc/content/news/86560-m...-divide-record-time-misses-out-official-title

Round World record breaking cyclist Mike Hall has reached the finish line of the 2013 Tour Divide in the fastest time yet - but just missed out on the record thanks to route diversions he was forced to take due to forest fires.Mike finished up at the Mexican border with the USA in 14 days, 11 hours and 55 minutes, a big improvement on the previous record of 15 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes set by Jay Petervary in September 2012.
He's missed out on securing an official record, because racers must ride the full official route as mapped by the Adventure Cycling Association to collect a win.
The Tour Divide is a self-supported mountain bike race which runs the full 2,745 mile length of the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route, from Banff in Canada to Antelope Wells in New Mexico.
According to the official website:
The route is unmarked and circuitous, requiring navigational acumen. It travels through remote backcountry with Grizzly and Mountain Lion density. Intervals between services are frequently 100+ miles and demand calculated food/water resupply-or else. Riders must also find shelter each night or bivouac trailside.
In minutes the Rockies' dynamic mountain weather can wreak havoc on route surfaces, skewing even the most near-term travel projections. And, of course, it wouldn't be a grand tour without the geopolitics of negotiating an, albeit lower-security, international border crossing at Port of Roosville, Montana.
There are no compulsory rest periods or specified distances racers must travel daily. The race clock runs non-stop.
Mike attempted the Tour Divide last year prior to his round the world effort. “I want to go back next year,” he told us at the time.
“I got injured last time. Experience counts for a lot on the Tour Divide. You learn a lot the first time and it seems a waste not to go back and use that experience. It’s the type of route that gets under your skin and into your blood.”
There are still a lot of riders out there whose progress can be followed on the tracker- look out for 2nd place finish maybe tomorrow -only 200miles behind Mike.
And Mike, whose Twitter handle currently reads 'Out to settle some unfinished business at the Tour Divide this June...' clearly has plenty of unfinished business still to see to - next year perhaps?
[h=2]His kit[/h]Mike was riding a Pivot Les hardtail with a a Kinesis IX carbon 29er fork and 1 x 10 speed XTR transmission.
The wheels were Reynolds 29er carbon rims drilled with 32 holes for extra strength. On board was also a Garmin 705 and Exposure’s dynamo hub to power their Revo light.
He goes through all his kit in detail here

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
Aussies make top 25

All the Aussies have now completed the TDR.

Obviously Jessie Carlsson was a class above and put in an amazing first up ride to beat the previous TDR 'record' time, though there were several re-route variances [bush fires] to the prescribed route. Outstanding rides from Arron Pearson .... but for some re-routing issues could/should have won the SS. Hugh Harvey and Nick Hutton* as rookies nailing a top 25 finish. Liam Crowley [listed as 5th] finished 4th [half a bike] behind Alex Harris in a one mile sprint that included Brit James Olsen. James observed their finish positions from a hundred metres off after they had cruised the last 20 miles together after constantly swapping positions over the final week... tough after 4600k's

*Nick Hutton has acknowledged forward assistance [a lift in a pickup] to have a freewheel hub repaired and will, I assume, get a DQ, though he lost a day in the process.

* Two Swiss riders, currently 8th and 9th finishers were 'observed' drafting and may face a DQ sanction.... I didn't say that!

These latter matters will be resolved in the quieter moments post race by the moderators...

Will there be more Aussies out there in the future years, you betch'ya! I can see a few smoking guns on the sidelines thinking they might have a crack at Mike Hall's phenomenal winning time.

PLACE RIDER ELAPSED TIME RIDE TIME STOPPED TIME
Days/Hrs/Min Days/Hrs/Min Days/Hrs/Min
2nd Jesse Carlsson 15:12:08 10:14:58 4:20:35
4th Liam Crowley* 17:05:36 11:03:30 5:13:48
18th Arran Pearson SS 20.23.32 12:22:30 8:00:34
23rd Hugh Harvey 21:13:16 12:18:27 8:18:49
24th Nick Hutton* 21:15:51 12:20:46 8:19:43

DNF Walter Brumniach 1480 miles [Hit by a truck] ... no excuse!
DNF Adam Kiem 822m [knee injury]
DNF Greg Wright 376m [no info]

Last edited:

telemike4

Likes Bikes
A great ride by all the Aussies, and the rest of the riders.

I enjoyed the running commentary on bikepacking.net, as i didn't have time to follow it all directly myself. Thanks for keeping us posted on the Aussies Canberoo

Dexter Skidmore

Cannon Fodder
Thanks

Thanks for the support guys, esp Canbaroo, who seemed to get into it as much as I have in previous years! I'm just seeing this for the first time now but it's nice to know some folks back at home were cheering us Aussies on. Hopefully even more will be over there next year to give it a crack!
Cheers,
Jesse

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Tour Divide - Rider Report, 40 days and counting

All the Aussies have now completed the TDR.

Obviously Jessie Carlsson was a class above and put in an amazing first up ride to beat the previous TDR 'record' time, though there were several re-route variances [bush fires] to the prescribed route. Outstanding rides from Arron Pearson .... but for some re-routing issues could/should have won the SS. Hugh Harvey and Nick Hutton* as rookies nailing a top 25 finish. Liam Crowley [listed as 5th] finished 4th [half a bike] behind Alex Harris in a one mile sprint that included Brit James Olsen. James observed their finish positions from a hundred metres off after they had cruised the last 20 miles together after constantly swapping positions over the final week... tough after 4600k's

*Nick Hutton has acknowledged forward assistance [a lift in a pickup] to have a freewheel hub repaired and will, I assume, get a DQ, though he lost a day in the process.

* Two Swiss riders, currently 8th and 9th finishers were 'observed' drafting and may face a DQ sanction.... I didn't say that!

These latter matters will be resolved in the quieter moments post race by the moderators...

Will there be more Aussies out there in the future years, you betch'ya! I can see a few smoking guns on the sidelines thinking they might have a crack at Mike Hall's phenomenal winning time.

PLACE RIDER ELAPSED TIME RIDE TIME STOPPED TIME
Days/Hrs/Min Days/Hrs/Min Days/Hrs/Min
2nd Jesse Carlsson 15:12:08 10:14:58 4:20:35
4th Liam Crowley* 17:05:36 11:03:30 5:13:48
18th Arran Pearson SS 20.23.32 12:22:30 8:00:34
23rd Hugh Harvey 21:13:16 12:18:27 8:18:49
24th Nick Hutton* 21:15:51 12:20:46 8:19:43

DNF Walter Brumniach 1480 miles [Hit by a truck] ... no excuse!
DNF Adam Kiem 822m [knee injury]
DNF Greg Wright 376m [no info]
Have been speaking with Hugh Harvey and while he isn't writing, he was happy to share some mements and I have pulled it all together here.

Last edited:

Canbaroo

Likes Dirt
... dreaming

I'm very good at doing these events while lying on the couch.:violin:

What about you & the bride, not scared of bears are you?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I'm very good at doing these events while lying on the couch.:violin:

What about you & the bride, not scared of bears are you?
I can accept the bears (mind you if I came face to face with one that could very quickly change!), however not sure I could handle the sleeping arrangements of such a journey - I do like a high cotton count on my bed linen ;-)

Plus I doubt I would eating food to the quality of Anne's cooking during the race :)