2013 UCI World cup

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Thank you so much for posting this link up! It's great to be able to watch some mountain bike action live.

Cheers
:thumb:

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Congratulations Daniel McConnell from Australia. He worked his way through the field and WON his first World Cup race, in a sprint finish!!!! Awesome riding in trying conditions!!!!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
What a ride.
Only wanted a top 20 and stands above all others at the end.
Nice touch to have AC/DC blaring through the PA as he crossed the line!

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
Let's not forget Bec Henderson from Australia who won the women's race. A double win to Australia and both from Team Trek.

Well done to both!

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
What a brilliant ride by d-mac!!
Lap after lap he was getting closer & closer to the pointy end of the race. That last lap was just the best.

Even last year he worked his way through the fields for some pretty good placings. Problem was he was starting at the back of the pack.

Was also great to see Bec Henderson take out the under 23's.

Lets hope this results in funding for the top mountain bikers of Australia.

MTB Pilot

Likes Dirt
McConnell was amazing. I think I first noticed an Australian being in the race when he was in about 26th spot during the race. He worked his way through the other riders very nicely, including Nino, and with about three turns to go, was on the tail on the race leader. In the end he beat him by 2 seconds, and Daniel was as surprised to win as was the commentators and everyone else. He's only ever finished in the top twenty before and was hoping to do the same this time. AC/DC in the background at the end was awesome too!

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
I've been into MTB for over 20 years now and after Cadel I doubted I would ever see Aussies on the top step of the podium in XCO again. Amazing efforts by both Bec & Dan.

Inspiring for so many Australian XC racers! Trek should be very happy with their investment.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
What an exciting race and an amazing result for Dmac!

How much carnage was on that first lap! Wowies! That steep downhill A line section certainly took no prisoners when a bit of rain fell on it. I recall seeing a Swedish guy almost clip the tree as he slid out of control down that bit.

Was about to switch it off when Absalon was 90 seconds in front but thank christ I didn't - it just shows how unpredictable and exciting the XCO format can be!

softek

Likes Dirt
That was the most exciting XCO I have seen in years, normally the 3 top guys just ride together from start to end and it gets quite boring, Dan came back from like 20+ position and won the race, totally insane stuff, not sure any of the top 5 guys has ever achieved anything like that ever. Must have been awesome to pass guys like Kulhavy and Schurter, storys to tell the grand kids for sure

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Awesome ride for Dan McConnell! He was definitely made to work for it. Looked so strong in the last lap.
And well done to Bec Henderson!
A great week for Australian MTB and also the Trek team.

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Gotta say was awesome watchiing that last night. Nothing on tv so it became my movie watch night form start to finish. Found my self half pedalling on the couch.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
just watching the replay now and the dum arse commentators can't even see him coming.

too busy watching absalon, absalon, absalon.

http://www.redbull.com/en/bike/stories/1331591003682/watch-live-uci-men-xco-from-albstadt
Look - as dumb as they may be (btw - noone, including Dan saw this coming), and as incredible as Dans ride was - which it was - Absalon had the race won, and done. Sure - he didnt, and Dan did an amazing ride, but Absalon was home, hosed and showered with a few laps to go. You've got to feel for him.

Anyway - dont want to detract from the 'Dan Love' going on here. It was a fantastic ride, and a real breakthrough performance.
Those dum commentators - especially that Dutch bloke - probably never even done an MTB race...