2014 Cairns World Cup Track Video

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
For the record the photo at the beginning of this thread IS NOT part of the DH course - "Crocslide" is part of the XC course - take this as gospel, I walked the XC course with Glen Jacobs etc on Thursday when those photos were taken [hell, I'm even in some : )]
So what is the xc course like? What are the most technical features?

morticus

Likes Dirt
If anyone has seen the hill, I don't see how there could be a climb... and any pedalling that will be done would generate a bullshit amount of speed. A short sprint to the finish shouldn't hurt... could separate the guys that train harder from the ones that don't. I think the biggest factor yet will be the weather, if its raining you can anticipate 25% of riders wont make it to the bottom without a stack.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The climb they are talking about will be the two short pinches out of some saddles on the ridge. I could make it up both without pedalling on a rough overgrown trail. Reckon guys will be on the brakes near the top of the blind crests so they don't launch into space on the new track.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
So what is the xc course like? What are the most technical features?
Depends what you class as technical.
The XC course will have the greatest amount of ascent and descent of any XC course on the circuit this year if not ever according to the technical director Tim Sheedy.
Sections of the track like Jacobs ladder have A lines where the risk Vs reward is high. One A line on Jacobs I personaly will never ride, but thats me. the section known as the crocslide above Jacobs will also test riders.
At the bottom of Jacobs ladder the section known as caterpillars is fast with berms and several hip and gap jumps, fast for those with good flow skills.
As I was walking it I constantly thought that many "weekend warrior" type recreational mountian bikers will have a lot of trouble completeing 1 lap let alone 6. The amount of climbing is huge and the descents fast with technicaly demanding sections that will test the worlds best.
Come up and ride it for yourself from the 25th November and make up your own mind : )

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah but you're old and ride downhills like a girl ;)

Crocslide always made me poo if it is the same one as before.
Croc slide is best ridden off the brakes, when it was called rock slide it was anyway, we used it as part of the club dh back when dh bikes had the same travel as current trail bikes, but with shit brakes

Bunyip

Likes Dirt
Anyone know how the shuttle road is coming along?
I heard it was going to be a bitumen road bottom to top. Much better for the Tropical QLD wet season.

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone know how the shuttle road is coming along?
I heard it was going to be a bitumen road bottom to top. Much better for the Tropical QLD wet season.
I'm fairly sure it was only started this week, updates soon hopefully

indica

Serial flasher
http://www.cairnsmtb.com said:
URGENT REQUEST FROM COUNCIL.:
PLEASE STAY OFF DH ACCESS ROAD.
WORK HAS COMMENCED.

Work has now begun on the DH Access road. Heavy machinery will be moving up and down this road for the next 3 weeks

Bunting has been put up at entry points to stop riders from entering the DH access road.

Please follow these and do not enter the DH access road.
Council have asked specifically.

Same deal applies as the road in from Captain Cook Highway. Big Machines run over bike riders.

I know this closes more of our trails but we are almost there and wouldn't you like to be alive to ride the new trails?
NOT LONG NOW we will be able to rider UCI World Cup trails in our own backyard. It is worth waiting for.

Thanks Again for your patience.
Committee
Cairns Mtb Club

Stinky

Likes Dirt
So can you still get a fun loop happening out there at the moment. Will be up there late next week, probably won't have time for an Atherton trip so was planning on an hour or two at Smithfield. Is it still worth bringing up the trail bike?