2014 fox 32 140 talas problem and questions.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
My 2014 fox 32 140mm on my trance 1 only seems to have 130mm of travel.

Also when I release all the air pressure the fork pulls itself down and is very hard to lift up. Does that fork have an air negative spring I need to empty? Or is it a coil spring?

teK--

Eats Squid
Coil negative spring.

Problem is that you are a light rider and running an air pressure too low to balance out against the fixed springrate of the coil negative spring.

I have same issue I run 100psi normally and would have to run 140psi in order to get 160mm travel. With 100psi I only get 147mm travel.

Have asked around no one at this stage offering a softer negative spring and Fox had no idea what I was talking about when I rang them.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
I weigh 80kg and run 118psi. Is there anywhere I can find how to a service? I'm worried about the talas system.
Is 10wt moto fork oil ok to use?

teK--

Eats Squid
118psi is not enough to extend the fork to full travel. You will need around 140 to 150psi. But that is going to be too firm for your body weight.

10wt moto fork oil is fine to use for the lower legs bath lubrication. 15ml on the damper side and 30ml in the air side.

onlock

Likes Bikes
Im about 80kegs aswell and am currently running 100psi but still bottom out the fork pretty easily when riding dh tracks like cressy and others at the you youngs. Even the standard loops at wombat have me close to botoming out. What sort of pressures should I be running or start at 120 and see how I go from there?

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Im about 80kegs aswell and am currently running 100psi but still bottom out the fork pretty easily when riding dh tracks like cressy and others at the you youngs. Even the standard loops at wombat have me close to botoming out. What sort of pressures should I be running or start at 120 and see how I go from there?
Yep try that. Make sure you turn your rebound up a few clicks.

teK--

Eats Squid
You need more than 100psi at 80kg. Set for 20-25% sag based on actual travel extended length (not necessarily what fox advertise the fork at)

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
The 2014 Talas has a 22mm air piston as opposed to 28mm on older 32 talas.
As an example, 100psi only yields 59lbs of force in the 14 talas compared to 95lbs force in the older unit
The result is you need to run considerably higher pressure than the older talas units

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Can I buy a FIT cartridge for these forks? Hoping that might get them working better. How much do they go for?

teK--

Eats Squid
They are very expensive site to discourage people with evo forks upgrading. If you are spending that sort of money (500) better off with an Avalanche custom tuned cartridge better than FIT

shore_2

Likes Dirt
They are very expensive site to discourage people with evo forks upgrading. If you are spending that sort of money (500) better off with an Avalanche custom tuned cartridge better than FIT
Thanks for all your help. Not happy with the front or rear on my trance 1. They take big slow hits fine and have good bottoming resistance. It's just both ends aren't plush enough on smaller bumps when going faster. I just feel the suspension holds the bike back from being brilliant.

teK--

Eats Squid
Two things you can try at low cost.

Fork: Do a lower legs service and use quality 10W fork oil and ensure the wiper seals are clean and foam rings lubed with Fox Float Fluid or Rockshox Redrum.

Shock: Install a larger air volume spacer then run slightly less pressure.

Spray the shock and fork stanchions with JuiceLubes Fork Juice (wipe off the excess).

Make sure you are running enough rebound for both the fork and shock so that it springs back quickly enough to suit your style of riding (faster riders need less rebound)