2014 Giant contact switch (dropper seat) - gas strut replacement

Ricker

Likes Dirt
So taken apart the giant contact switch dropper post that came with my 2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1.

The dropper post started dropping about 1-2 inches at full extension without pressing the switch. Then it started dropping unless I gave it time to settle after activating it.

I took it apart, and the gas strut is definetly stuffed. Without pushing the button I can make it collapse and it will come back up immediately. So its basically not holding at all anymore.

Pretty lame, i've put around 3000km's on the bike over the last 2 years, but wouldn't of thought the gas cylinder should fail at all. Not for the price that Giant charges for these dropper posts anyways.

Anyhows i'm after a new gas strut to replace it with. Is there an online shop or such for buying such parts, does anyone have any clues, or is it just a matter of phoning a LBS and seeing if they can order the part.

Hoping it doesnt cost to much.

On my gas strut it says 'winso suspension' then a batch number and part number that has been rubbed of by grease.

Googling winso suspension brings up nothing...

beejay

Likes Dirt
Had to replace mine twice in the last eight months!!! So once in two years seems not so bad?

Anyway, LBS I believe is your only option, but both mine were replaced under warranty so no cost.
Contact the LBS first as Giant can be pretty flexible with warranty on their dropper posts as there has been a lot of issues with the cylinder (bad batches??)

On a side note, mine never liked the heat (I'm in Cairns) if I had the bike sitting in the sun for any more than an hour or so, the cylinder would completely jam up!!! and would only return to normal if left in a cool shady space for a few hours???

Good luck I hope they can do a warranty replacement for ya.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Funnily enough, I'm also having issues with my Contact dropper. Was at the Mont, dropper working perfectly well on Friday. Got up Saturday morning, and it was totally locked - wouldn't drop at all. Got back from my night lap, was putting the bike back on the rack, and the damn thing started working again! Still working the next day, got it home, and it'd locked up again...

It's currently working, but is now very slow to raise back up. Think taking it back to the shop is on the cards for me too.

teK--

Eats Squid
Funnily enough, I'm also having issues with my Contact dropper. Was at the Mont, dropper working perfectly well on Friday. Got up Saturday morning, and it was totally locked - wouldn't drop at all. Got back from my night lap, was putting the bike back on the rack, and the damn thing started working again! Still working the next day, got it home, and it'd locked up again...

It's currently working, but is now very slow to raise back up. Think taking it back to the shop is on the cards for me too.
Open it up give it a good clean and lube.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Open it up give it a good clean and lube.
I wouldn't have the first idea how to get into it... It's a stealth model, so fully internal cabling, and I suspect that if I screw around with it too much it'll end up having to go back to the shop anyway!

teK--

Eats Squid
The top collar just unscrews use a strap wrench if need be. I regularly clean inside the collar and re-grease with a thin suspension bushes grease.

remove the whole post unclip the cable from the bottom then the base unscrews with a 8mm allen key clean all the inside and lube the air cartridge shaft etc.

I got mine replace before the warranty expired, i been told the is not possible rebuild it. So i was waiting for a new one and after a week i got a call from a bike store and saying the giant dropping seat are not available as warranty and they gave ma a new Rockshox reverb stealth instead. No bad deal on a 2014 trance advance

teK--

Eats Squid
I got mine replace before the warranty expired, i been told the is not possible rebuild it. So i was waiting for a new one and after a week i got a call from a bike store and saying the giant dropping seat are not available as warranty and they gave ma a new Rockshox reverb stealth instead. No bad deal on a 2014 trance advance
They lied.

It is rebuildable (see above) :).

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What you described isn't really going to fix issues like drop and bob Tek. Perhaps what they mean is the cartridge itself can't opened up, given an oil change etc as you can a KS Lev

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
What you described isn't really going to fix issues like drop and bob Tek. Perhaps what they mean is the cartridge itself can't opened up, given an oil change etc as you can a KS Lev
Hoping I can get to give mine a going over tonight, see if pulling it apart and giving it a good clean helps. Wondering if my issue's mainly some type of connection to the cable being loose? Seems odd to have it just stop, then start working after 35-ish km, only to stop again after the car ride home. All I can think is that something's been shaken around internally that's caused the remote switch to either work, or not.

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah but you can just replace the cartridge in that case they are around 60bux

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
The top collar just unscrews use a strap wrench if need be. I regularly clean inside the collar and re-grease with a thin suspension bushes grease.

remove the whole post unclip the cable from the bottom then the base unscrews with a 8mm allen key clean all the inside and lube the air cartridge shaft etc.
So I got half way there. Unscrewed the top collar, removed the air cartridge retaining screws from the saddle clamp, and after figuring out that nothing was coming out until I pressed the dropper switch I had the top of the seatpost pulled away. Great success!

What I still can't figure out is how to get the rest of it out with internal cabling. Basically, before I can get the rest of the post out enough to expose the cable attachment, the internal cabling is pulled tight and I can't get it out any further. Hmmm...now I sit here and write that though...is it as simple as having to detach the dropper switch from the bars first so it can pull through more?

Edit: Answered my own question, removed the trigger from the bars, and managed to get the post up high enough to unclip the cable from the bottom. Bit obvious now I think about it!

The good news from all of it is that the sluggish raising of the post is I think just a cable tension adjustment issue, plus the switch getting caught up on the left hand derailleur triggers. Bit of an angle adjustment and I think it'll be back to normal.

Last edited: