2014 Lapierre XR 529 EI

Anyone had a chance to test ride one of these yet? If so how does it compare to the 2013 model and opinion of the bike in general as a xc endurance racer. Really got my heart set on one of these after test riding the 2013 model last week and would love to hear any reviews/horror stories.

http://www.lapierrebikes.com.au/xr-529

Cheers!

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
I bought a 2013 529. I've since put light wheels on it and changed to xx1. With those changes it's a brilliant xc bike. I'm not sure the ei is with the weight penalty, the suspension works pretty well stock. Of I was doing it again I'd probably buy the xr team frame and build it from the ground up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some friends of mine were at a Lapierre/Norco product testing day earlier this week.
They both ride XC and will both be riding Lapierre bikes for 2014.
The EI system is well worth it, I can imagine 2014 will only be better

I bought a 2013 529. I've since put light wheels on it and changed to xx1. With those changes it's a brilliant xc bike. I'm not sure the ei is with the weight penalty, the suspension works pretty well stock. Of I was doing it again I'd probably buy the xr team frame and build it from the ground up.

Awesome, i've heard from a few people to straight up sub out the wheels. Do you know what weight the bike is hovering around now? EI is meant to be around 300-400g penalty with the battery etc.

DoubleD

Likes Dirt
With xx1 and super light carbon wheels from Twe it is 10.2kg. The standard wheels are total shite

Some friends of mine were at a Lapierre/Norco product testing day earlier this week.
They both ride XC and will both be riding Lapierre bikes for 2014.
The EI system is well worth it, I can imagine 2014 will only be better
I really liked the EI system when I test rode it. Was a bit reluctant at first thinking it was more or less a gimmick but it really does work, and it's incredibly efficiently at that. Keeping looking around for a 2014 to test ride, otherwise I might go ahead and get the 2013 and replace bits a pieces along the way.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Given that the importer (Advanced Traders) is in Brisbane and the 2014 bikes have landed...your capacity to line up a test ride should not be a trial.

Given that the importer (Advanced Traders) is in Brisbane and the 2014 bikes have landed...your capacity to line up a test ride should not be a trial.
Yep. Contacted them earlier this week and they put me onto For The Riders. Just waiting to hear back from FTR as to when they have models up on the floor and available for test ride. Hoping to try out a Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 as well to compare... want to make sure i've made the best choice before dropping that amount of dough.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I have a friend who has had nothing but trouble with the EI system.

Every single piece has been warrantied/replaced individually and when that didn't work, they replaced the entire system as one go.

Next step was to send the bike back to France.

Last I heard, she had a new one for our last club round and it had already failed before she finished her warm up lap....

Not to say the system doesn't work... this may be one isolated incident....

Another good mate bought the XR team frame with standard CTD shock and built up with Fox fork, Hope Hoops, Reverb (cause he had one sitting around) and 1x10 Sram X0 and even with the post his weighs a touch over 10kg

I'm not sold on the idea that the EI system is worth it....

Last edited:

Every single piece has been warrantied/replaced individually and when that didn't work, they replaced the entire system as one go.

Last I heard, she had a new one for our last club round and it had already failed before she finished her warm up lap....

Another good mate bought the XR team frame with standard CTD shock and built up with Fox fork, Hope Hoops, Reverb (cause he had one sitting around) and 1x10 Sram X0 and even with the post his weighs a touch over 10kg

Ouch, that was the sort of horror story I was hoping wouldn't surface. Seems warranty support will be nothing but trouble... Have to see how the Maestro suspension goes with the Fox CTD on the Anthem.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hoping to try out a Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 as well to compare... want to make sure i've made the best choice before dropping that amount of dough.
One of said mates rides a Giant Anthem 29er, he was blown away by the difference on the 2014 Ei XR.
His regular ride is the alloy version of the anthem with Crossmax SLR's and XX1.

If the Ei ends up being something you don't like, remove it. You'll still have a VERY capable XC/Trail weapon.
They are damn good bikes.

gead

Likes Dirt
A mate of mine is picking up a 729....I'm keen to have a pedal on it to see how the ei works...

jimspr

Likes Bikes

I am about to charter the same waters with my 729 EI. When it worked it was amazing. Now it has become a little frustrating.
Saying that just stepped off it from a race in Anglesea. I love that bike!
The EI is new technology. Give them time to sort it out.

The EI is new technology. Give them time to sort it out.
Valid point, and probably end up being my one and only reason for jumping ship and getting the Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 this time round. Once the bugs are ironed out, and I've got a bit more coin to throw at a new bike, I think the Lapierre will be my first point of call.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
choices

been tossing up between the XR , 429 and the Czar.

have owned aDW link previously and swaying towards a Czar due to the rear suspension design, not sure if electric rear shock could improve it.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I have the 2013 non EI version of the XR team, and I love this bike. If you aren't sold on the EI idea then get the model with plain out mechanical lockout, still a fantastic bike.

Craig Gruber

Cannon Fodder
Anyone had a chance to test ride one of these yet? If so how does it compare to the 2013 model and opinion of the bike in general as a xc endurance racer. Really got my heart set on one of these after test riding the 2013 model last week and would love to hear any reviews/horror stories.

http://www.lapierrebikes.com.au/xr-529

Cheers!
Have had one of these for six months now and have had problem after problem with the EI system. I wouldn't buy this bike again, in six months it has spent a total of a whole month in the shop. Apart from the EI, I love this bike but every time I ride it I can't enjoy my ride as I am constantly waiting for the electronics to act up.

Old C

Likes Bikes
I have a fat friend that has a large amount of trouble with the EI on his 2013 model. I am also aware of a LBS that has moved away for LP, due to ongoing warranty issues, referring to the company as Citroen, as the reliability is on a par with the French car company.