2014 SB66C vs Canyon Spectral EX 7.0 ??

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
Hi i'm heading to the uk soon and have the lovely opportunity to get a knew bike!

I've been thinking of getting the 2016 Canyon Spectral EX 7.0 for 2100 pounds about $3725.89 AUD

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/mtb/spectral/2016/spectral-al-7-0-ex.html

But this has come up used on pink bike. the SB66C 2014. For 1800 pounds about $3193.62 AUD

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1947348/

For 1800 pounds about $3193.62 AUD

And i can't decide ???

Yeti is the dream bike and Canyon is the future proof thing of current standards. both have great reviews. and well specced.

Lots of trail centres in the uk where climbing is necessary, so i'd like a bike where climbing is not a chore. but that said i never make climbing a competition. i'm happy just to pedal away at my own slow pace up hill to save my legs, to really enjoy the downs much more.

Any thoughts or experiences would be great, happy to hear them all!

Cheers Dave

Z

Zaf

I replaced my SB66c with a Canyon Strive, which is a very similar design to the Spectral suspension wise. They sort of say the Spectral is the uncomplicated Strive that doesn't run the shapeshifter.

The Yeti pedals differently, even with the XC mode, the Strive suspension is on a very active tune in the rear, and I run my shocks a little stiffer on the spring (27% sag) with a slower rebound. The Yeti is punchy when you hit the pedals but has more feedback through the pedals in rough stuff. It also has expensive bearings to replace on that switch pivot.

The Canyon has more of that magic carpet feel to it, there's no pedal feedback when things get rough, but it does bob a little in, and in DH mode, when you stomp the pedals there is a slight lag before you it jumps forward.

I might also add the Strive is faster than my Yeti on rough shit, been finding second on it in most of the rough stuff I've hit since getting it.

I would be going with whatever suspension system you like more. But both of those bikes will serve you well.

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
Thanks zaf for the thoughts. I must admit when you mention the words magic carpet it does seem appealing as the older I'm getting the smoother I'd like the ride to be

So would you say the canyon strive is plusher than the yeti?

Could the sb66 be set up suspension wise to be plusher or is that not how the suspension design quite works or feels.

Cheers Dave.

Z

Zaf

I ran the Yeti with a Vivid R2C Coil shock, and a Float X (and for some time with a Vorsprung can on it) it's still a very plush platform, but through lower speed technical riding when you're not hitting through the switch, or repeated impacts across the switch you will notice a slight pull through pedals. It's the trade off you make, the Canyon is more active but it does bob around a little. Obviously the Strive has an XC mode on account of the Shapeshifter, so they might not have designed that pedalling and anti-squat into it's leverage ratio compared to the Spectral. It does bob in DH mode more noticeably, especially when compared to the Yeti, even with a Coil that thing really does rocket forward when you stomp it.

The Yeti didn't like being ridden slowly either, if you're not having a good day on the bike, it's not a forgiving ride in how it behaves; it seems to feel about 5kg heavier and 2 meters longer when you're not "riding" it. Sort of like a dog that's fighting a leash, you're too busy trying to get it to behave, if you just start running, it forgets the leash altogether and starts fanging along beside you with its tail wagging. Just be aware it lives in both extremes, the best times I've had on a bike were on the SB66c, some of the worst times I've had on the bike where on it as well.

The romantic side of me says buy the Yeti (I kept my frame for a "pool room" item), I think the Spectral is a better choice though. The modern seat tube angle alone is a huge selling point for me, the Yeti is quite slack in the seat tube and you can feel that in your pedalling position (like your feet are a little infront of you, not underneath). The Canyon was pretty easy to get along with, be aware that some of that is probably from "hard lessons learned' on the Yeti (my first BIG bike, took a little getting used to), but it was a pretty seamless transition, and on my second ride I was shaving time of PB's that my Yeti set with 5,500km under its belt of "getting familiar with it", 6,500km if you count the time spent on its Alloy counterpart first. You know the cliche about being instantly comfortable, the Strive ticked that box, except for the Shapeshifter there was no learning curve with it.

Think I've ranted enough.

Misfitdave

Likes Bikes
Thanks Zaf,

i really appreciate your rant.

i'm looking for a bike that will be more forgiving on the rough stuff so it's really great to hear your thoughts. As much as i love the yeti it may not be the bike thats most suited to me at the moment. i don't race so i don't push that hard. i like to believe that I'm a super smooth racing agile pilot on the bike bike but in truth i'm pretty clunky and cautious. i still fall a lot! I do down hills tracks but pretty slowly. so the Canyon seems like it may fit my riding style better.

Thanks again

Dave